• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wife needs new car

Robbmt

Thermal UP!!!!!!
My car was totalled. (parked in front of house) So I get hand me down and she gets newer vehicle.

She has a birthday next month and graduates from a year long accelerated BSN program in early May.
Our budget tops around 18,000 until she gets employed and some loans paid back.

She deserves something with panache, she wants cute. However, ANYthing that has trouble in winter driving will cause more trouble than I want to endure. Better to head off trouble before it begins. FWD or AWD seems to be my answer.

I'm thinking BMW 330xi or similiar or upgrade to MB 4matic? Would this be reasonable? Any other ideas?
She will not drive the car for sport (agressive), just wants some style to her ride.

I am not familiar with maintenance on these cars, so, what am I looking at realistically? Anyone got an answer or point me toward someone/somewhare that does.

My preference would be: AWD - Subbie or MB 4Matic/(I have a 2001 I picked up last Dec.)

They both tend to be $$$ on rapairs...but the new Subbie's can be had at a good price, so warranty would be involved.

Good luck.

(my co-worker just got a Legacy - loaded for around $25k)

My car was totalled. (parked in front of house) So I get hand me down and she gets newer vehicle.

She has a birthday next month and graduates from a year long accelerated BSN program in early May.
Our budget tops around 18,000 until she gets employed and some loans paid back.

She deserves something with panache, she wants cute. However, ANYthing that has trouble in winter driving will cause more trouble than I want to endure. Better to head off trouble before it begins. FWD or AWD seems to be my answer.

I'm thinking BMW 330xi or similiar or upgrade to MB 4matic? Would this be reasonable? Any other ideas?
She will not drive the car for sport (agressive), just wants some style to her ride.

I am not familiar with maintenance on these cars, so, what am I looking at realistically? Anyone got an answer or point me toward someone/somewhare that does.

I just went through car shopping with the wife, her lease is running out on her BMW Z4. As I am not working and choosing not to, we decided not to replace it with a new BMW, so she considered purchasing used 2007 -2008 and the prices for the 328i with low milage (10k - 30k) were running $25K - 30K walk out (cash). I asked her to consider the Honda (new) and she settled on an Accord coupe with a 2.4L 4 cyl (loaded) for $25K out the door. We pick it up this afternoon.

Just be aware that BMWs are fairly expensive (I loved all 4 that we had) and if your budget is $18K, the cheapest new one is the "1" series, for used, you may have to go to a 05 or 06 to stay in your budget. I also believe the 3 series are all rear wheel (possibly some all wheel drive) vehicles

They got the new mini's on super special this month. I think women look funny...I mean cool in those.

If you want to keep the car for a long time, I echo the Subaru recommendation. Every Subie is AWD, so they can be a little more expensive to fix when something goes wrong, but we've got two (wife's 2002 Impreza 2.5TS and my 2007 Legacy GT wagon) and couldn't be happier with them--very little has gone wrong with either of them, and they last forever if you maintain them properly. The 2.5L turbos are quick as snot, but gas mileage is even worse with the blower on top of the hit you'll take due to the AWD. My wife can easily get 25 MPG in her naturally aspirated car and my turbo in city driving and a little better on the highway, whereas I tend to get about 16 MPG in my car in both city and highway because I drive very aggressively and I've reflashed the ECU to a more performance-oriented map.

If you want something a little flashier and you're not looking for a long-term vehicle, a lightly used Audi with Quattro might be a good match. The rule of thumb I'm familiar with is that Audis start getting expensive to maintain at about 60k, but I'm hardly an Audiophile.

I did the Audi Driving Experience about a year and a half ago. Got to drive the (then) new A4 on an autocross course and on the road track at Homestead (had to stay behind a leader but got up to just under 100 on the long straight), as well as the Mercedes-Benz C300 4matic, BMW 328xi, and Lexus IS250 AWD a couple laps each on the autocross course but not on the road course. While each comparison car had been flogged all day (and for who knows how long or much before that, or whether the A4s were juiced or the comparos were detuned) and the tires on the BMW in particular were slimy and bald, the A4 definitely was the cream of the crop. The 2009 A4s got a new variable steering mechanism that is just awesome, although it would certainly take a lot of getting used to. The MB was underpowered, the BMW would have been a much closer second had it been equipped with better tires, and the IS250 is snappy and easy to whip around but underwhelming in power. I've driven every currently offered Lexus but the IS-F, and the LS 600 Hybrid is the most fun to drive in my opinion--hated the SC430.

I've never owned a BMW, but we do have a Volvo S80. The problem with the European imports is repair costs. A lot of shops either don't work on them or they don't have access to parts, so you end up paying at the dealer. I have a 06 Outback and it hasn't needed anything more than routine maintance in 40K.

A lot of cars come with low profile, high performance tires on them these days (including my Subaru). They are all season tire in name only. If you take the out in more than an inch or 2 of snow you better be careful. If you plan on keeping the car and get any kind of significant snow I would suggest buying a set of dedicated snows on cheap rims. That way you can change the tires out yourself and don't have to have them mounted and balanced every spring and fall. The initial invest is a little more, but they pay for themselves eventually. The snows on my Subaru make it a totally different car in the winter. The first year I didn't have them and it was pretty bad in the snow. It kind of defeats the purpose of all wheel drive if you don't put them on.

Going off the beaten path. Look into the Saturns. Huge discounts because they are discontinued. Parts fairly easy to find, GM still honoring warranties, great mileage and I've had mine for 13 years with very little in repair cost.

My wife drives a BMW 3.0 X3 and just loves it. Perhaps not as "zippy" as the 3-series, but it really seems to be a solid car. Great seats; fits four full size grown ups comfortably. Worth a look, I would think.

I own an Audi A4 2.0T (2008). I love this car. I looked at/drove the BMW 3 series 5 series and thought they were great, but they didn't wow me like the Audi did.

Depending on where you get them, they can be a little less expensive as well.

Good luck.

I am going with the Audi sentiments as well. I drive an 02' A4 Quattro and it has been nothing but perfect. The new ones are fantastic as well. You can get an 06' A4 that is certified pre-owned for around 18k I believe. They are fantastic in the snow!

I'll toss this out there......Saab 93. They do amazingly well in winter due to their weight, are a blast to drive but may cause increased chance of speeding tickets. Saab's value drop immediately from driving away from the dealership and can be had a great price used.

Safe solid cars. My Saab turbo convertible gets a safety discount from our insurance agency.

If you go the BMW route, let me know, and I should be able to get you some info on the history of the vehicle. It could be extensive, or vague, it just depends on where it was serviced.

My wife drives a Chevy Pick-up (Silverado), complete with tool box and Icom V-8000
laugh.gif

She picked it out herself!

I guess you can tell we're from Louisiana
rolleyes.gif

I'll toss this out there......Saab 93. They do amazingly well in winter due to their weight, are a blast to drive but may cause increased chance of speeding tickets. Saab's value drop immediately from driving away from the dealership and can be had a great price used.

Safe solid cars. My Saab turbo convertible gets a safety discount from our insurance agency.

We picked up an '06 20th Anniversary convertible last month for next to nothing (her toy). My only concern with winter driving this car would be the lack of ground clearance. I could see it getting hung up on slushy roads. I take it you haven't had that problem?

Subaru are great AWD and inexpensive. Always buy used. If you can swing finding a european turbodiesel AWD wagon, you will be very happy as they can get upwards of 35-50MPG depending on model.

It basically doesnt matter what car you buy just as long as she looks hot in it. They do have the new type of car coverage from bumper to bumper just like the coverage you would get from the car industry if the car is 5 yrs and younger.