• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wife surprised me with a CAO Humidor

Viper's beads will take good care of you, but keep in mind if the humi has been stored "dry" for some time, you'll have to get it re-humidified so that the wood / beads can hold the RH at the desired point.

You'll need some distilled water for Viper's beads, so hit the local grocery store and pick up a gallon of DISTILLED water, and a little spray bottle. I think the little spray bottles are 'da bomb' for wetting Viper's beads.

The "Little Havana" digital hygrometer's I have are all on the money, RH wise. I like them a lot and trust their readings. I did replace the batteries and salt test them this year as a "PM" kind of thing (all about a year old), but so far, so good. If yours has been checked by your local store that's cool, but of course a salt test would allow you to prove it to yourself. All three of mine hit 75% on the nose.

Lastly, you have to get the wood in the humi re-hydrated as it's probably been stored "dry" for a while. I have always had good luck with a couple of shot glasses full of distilled water place inside the humi, and time. I say time because you can certanly make it very humid in the humi very quickly, but time is what it takes for the wood to really hydrate and allow a stable environment. A couple of weeks for a humi that big wouldn't surprise me at all.

It's a beautiful cabinet - congratulations...!!! My two big humi's say "Coleman" on them..... :p

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Edited for schpelling.......

BlindedByScience said:
The "Little Havana" digital hygrometer's I have are all on the money, RH wise. I like them a lot and trust their readings. I did replace the batteries and salt test them this year as a "PM" kind of thing (all about a year old), but so far, so good. If yours has been checked by your local store that's cool, but of course a salt test would allow you to prove it to yourself. All three of mine hit 75% on the nose.

Lastly, you have to get the wood in the humi re-hydrated as it's probably been stored "dry" for a while. I have always had good luck with a couple of shot glasses full of distilled water place inside the humi, and time. I say time because you can certanly make it very humid in the humi very quickly, but time is what it takes for the wood to really hydrate and allow a stable environment. A couple of weeks for a humi that big wouldn't surprise me at all.

Edited for schpelling.......
[snapback]284732[/snapback]​

Started my salt test around 11 am, as a matter of fact! I want to triple check everything. Cool on the shot glass idea, I'm heading to do that now, but I'll keep 1 empty glass for myself, for later :whistling:

Maybe the wood will be up to snuff by the time my beads get here!

That looks really good :thumbs:

Make sure there's nothing added to the distilled water either. I picked a gallon up the other day and when I got home I noticed it said it had minerals added.

That is a sweet loking humidor!

It sounds like you've got the items you're going to use for humidity already ordered but I'll add what I do for any other readers of this thread.

When I get a new humidor I wipe all surfaces down with a distilled water wet rag or sponge. Then I place a large piece of Oasis floral foam in a large dish and pour Distilled water over the foam and place the dish inside the humidor. Just let it sit for a few days with a hygrometer inside it. This usually shoots the moisture deep into the wood and the humidity starts to settle in to a constant with time.

Once the humidity gets into the region you want, cover the majority of the exposed foam up with plastic wrap.

Then I go with the more traditional methods of maintaining 70% humidity such as Paradigm Humidifiers.
These are really good units and don't need much attention once there is humidity in the wood.

That is a sweet loking humidor!

It sounds like you've got the items you're going to use for humidity already ordered but I'll add what I do for any other readers of this thread.

When I get a new humidor I wipe all surfaces down with a distilled water wet rag or sponge. Then I place a large piece of Oasis floral foam in a large dish and pour Distilled water over the foam and place the dish inside the humidor. Just let it sit for a few days with a hygrometer inside it. This usually shoots the moisture deep into the wood and the humidity starts to settle in to a constant with time.

Once the humidity gets into the region you want, cover the majority of the exposed foam up with plastic wrap.

Then I go with the more traditional methods of maintaining 70% humidity such as Paradigm Humidifiers.
These are really good units and don't need much attention once there is humidity in the wood.

:laugh: It's cool that you're reading old threads, but this was a year ago and I don't even use that humidor anymore (well, except the drawers). That filled up quick, and now I have a wine cooler (that's where the drawers went) and 2 cooler-dors now.

65% beads for me. :cool:

What a nice set up. It will fill up fast and you will find out all but one of the trays will be useless. You will want the extra room for boxes.

i bought that humidor for my brother. we wiped it all with a damp towel a few times and added oasis foam with distilled water and its perfect.

GEESH Dan! Ginger got you that BEFORE Cigar Fest last year?

She is treating you well considering the traveldor that she bought you for your anniversary weekend...that she let you both spend at Cigar Fest 2006. :laugh: