• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wifi 6 question

CMontoya79

Newb Le professional!
Anyone feel like their fiber gig speed internet wifi 6 signal is either weaker or more inconsistent than wifi “5” or 802.11?

I have Century link, fiber gig speed, Axom C4000XG, connected to a TP Link AX1800 router, adding a TP Link AX1500 wifi extender today to see if that helps. Only odd thing was, I’ve read reviews on the AX1800 router and it seemed like some people got complete wifi signal coverage, even being able to connect to a weak signal at the neighbors to their router.

I have not tried switching the channel, but I’ve read that can help also.

Any insight would be helpful.

C

Update:
Added a TPlink extender and works great. What it seems is that if you have a multi level home, you will need a wifi 6 extender for each level to provide max signal coverage. Had an older netgear and that is being replaced.

The Wifi density in your area will also play a part. If you live in a housing development with close neighbors, your signal won't be as strong at the extents with all the overlapping Networks. Think of it as like having a conversation in a busy bar that is packed.

What I tell my customers at work is wifi is basically just a radio signal. The more advanced and faster the routers get, the distance they broadcast is shorter. But it’s faster. It’s like FM radio how the sound is much better than AM radio. AM travels super far while FM you need towers all over the place. In physics you learn as the waive lengths get tighter they don’t travel as far. So yeah they are able to transmit faster better speeds but they won’t be as good at coverage as your old netgear 2.4 N router you had 10 years ago lol. How many SQ Ft is your house? How old is it and do you have mirrored closets? Thick Stucco? Brick? Metal beams or a garage incased in metal?

Last edited:
@Mizicke5273, @IngloriousBasterd .

Thanks for the insight. I’ll try switching channels next if the extenders don’t cut it. The explanation of FM vs AM signal makes sense. That’s what I was thinking. Essentially wifi 6 gig speed fiber, forces you to buy extenders and create a mesh network.

So far so good.

The good thing is that plugged in, devices clock in at 900 plus mbps download and upload.

Wi fi is at 250/240mbps up to 380/400mbps at times.

As for sq ft. 3200 finished, 3 levels, no brick, nothing but wood and drywall Built in 2015.
As for metal beams. The router is in the basement (not the greatest placement but thats where the lone ethernet port is for some dumbass reason). So yeah there is the structural support beam that I can see in the hvac/storage room.

@Mizicke5273, @IngloriousBasterd .

Thanks for the insight. I’ll try switching channels next if the extenders don’t cut it. The explanation of FM vs AM signal makes sense. That’s what I was thinking. Essentially wifi 6 gig speed fiber, forces you to buy extenders and create a mesh network.

So far so good.

The good thing is that plugged in, devices clock in at 900 plus mbps download and upload.

Wi fi is at 250/240mbps up to 380/400mbps at times.

As for sq ft. 3200 finished, 3 levels, no brick, nothing but wood and drywall Built in 2015.
As for metal beams. The router is in the basement (not the greatest placement but thats where the lone ethernet port is for some dumbass reason). So yeah there is the structural support beam that I can see in the hvac/storage room.
Yeah 3200 sq ft is rough for a single router. And basement is really bad placement lol. Mesh can only do like 300-400mbps so if you want heat wifi throughout I always tell my customers to have an electrician or AV guy that knows networking come out and hardwire routers in bridge mode. And not sure by you but houses in CA that are that new have garages encased in metal and that jacks up the wifi too

Yeah 3200 sq ft is rough for a single router. And basement is really bad placement lol. Mesh can only do like 300-400mbps so if you want heat wifi throughout I always tell my customers to have an electrician or AV guy that knows networking come out and hardwire routers in bridge mode. And not sure by you but houses in CA that are that new have garages encased in metal and that jacks up the wifi too
No metal garage here. Yeah. At some point in the future, we will likely extend the ethernet ports in our home.

If you're expecting gig wifi speed, don't.

Check the wifi card in the device too.

And don't forget the hvac ductwork. ;)

I set up our building with 51 aps for Corp connectivity. Heat maps and all.

Again, check the expectations...Lotta variables.

No. Not from wifi signal. I get that. But plugged in to ethernet ports, even on extenders. 900mbps plus upload and download. Confirmed via myspeedtest from google.

This 👆🏻
No. Not from wifi signal. I get that. But plugged in to ethernet ports, even on extenders. 900mbps plus upload and download. Confirmed via myspeedtest from google.
You are getting 900mbps on an extender?

As good as WiFi is....good old CAT5A at real Gb speeds is tough to beat. Our custom house had hardwired network connections in pretty much every room, all making 'home runs' to a nice, fast GigE switch. That was tough to beat....

WiFi is cool and simple and easy....but give me hardwired ethernet, anytime.

Should have done it in 2015 when building. Oh well. At some point, we will have someone come out to add ethernet ports to a few spots in the house.

Discovered I do have an ethernet port on our main level. But… it isn’t connected for some reason. Honestly, that doesn’t surprise me considering how shitty many new builds tend to go. Again, at some point going to have an electrician or AV guy who knows how to check this stuff out properly, see why I don’t have a functioning ethernet port on my main level.

You get 900 on all hardwired ports?
I would expect that.

That's about all you'll see.
There's always overhead.
Also, may vary day to day and hr to hr.
And try different locations- you should be able to choose. You'll see differences.

https://www.speedtest.net/

Your contract likely states such.

You get 900 on all hardwired ports?
I would expect that.

That's about all you'll see.
There's always overhead.
Also, may vary day to day and hr to hr.
And try different locations- you should be able to choose. You'll see differences.

https://www.speedtest.net/

Your contract likely states such.
I’ve also read using cat6 or higher cables can get you the full gig plus wired connection. I’m not really shooting for that. I’m pretty happy with wifi at 240/250 ish and wired at 900.

Further investigation, and I find that during connection, Centurylink failed to connect the line from the outside (ONT BOX) to a splitter for all 4 ethernet connections. We have ethernet ports in basement, living(family) room, study, and master bedroom. I have splitters on route and a couple lan cables to connect what they failed to. I can then relocate my TP-Link router to the family room to amp up the wireless signal strength as well as being able to hard connect a couple gaming consoles and smart tv to router.

043DA289-C4CD-4ED6-BFDA-13C3E560F146.jpeg
2C01688D-4E76-43AD-B826-270186577713.jpeg

Further investigation, and I find that during connection, Centurylink failed to connect the line from the outside (ONT BOX) to a splitter for all 4 ethernet connections. We have ethernet ports in basement, living(family) room, study, and master bedroom. I have splitters on route and a couple lan cables to connect what they failed to. I can then relocate my TP-Link router to the family room to amp up the wireless signal strength as well as being able to hard connect a couple gaming consoles and smart tv to router.

View attachment 58799
View attachment 58800
You are going to put in splitters or a switch? You need a switch connected to the modem and then the 4 cables connected to the switch so it can assign IP addresses to your devices/router. Or if you are only concerned with relocating the router just plug the Ethernet into the modem from the correct room you are trying to put the router in