• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wifi 6 question

New question to hijack the thread. Did you get a WiFi 6e router? I’m lookin at getting the new iPhones when they come out and it’s rumored they will work with 6e. So wondering which router I should get that won’t break the bank

You are going to put in splitters or a switch? You need a switch connected to the modem and then the 4 cables connected to the switch so it can assign IP addresses to your devices/router. Or if you are only concerned with relocating the router just plug the Ethernet into the modem from the correct room you are trying to put the router in
Currently the splitter/gray connection in pic has ONT connected on one end, and the other has ethernet cable going to back side of ethernet port in basement. I have my “modem” Axom C4000XG connected to that ethernet port in basement. I have my TP-Link router connected to the modem to boost wifi signal.

2 TP-Link wifi extenders are located one in livingroom and one in upstairs hallway.

I was under the impression connecting the unconnected ethernet cables would give me connection to my fiber/internet via ethernet wall ports in livingroom, study and master bedroom.

Picked up 3 of these and few short ethernet cables.
F6AF7785-9DA0-49AE-B6D3-79C47C62D81D.jpeg

New question to hijack the thread. Did you get a WiFi 6e router? I’m lookin at getting the new iPhones when they come out and it’s rumored they will work with 6e. So wondering which router I should get that won’t break the bank
This is the router I picked up. I don’t find anything that mentions 6e in the specs or description.

TP-Link AX1800 WiFi 6 Router (Archer AX21) – Dual Band Wireless Internet Router, Gigabit Router, USB port, Works with Alexa - A Certified for Humans Device​

A74D2322-8F11-4347-915D-8C53130A95C9.jpeg

Currently the splitter/gray connection in pic has ONT connected on one end, and the other has ethernet cable going to back side of ethernet port in basement. I have my “modem” Axom C4000XG connected to that ethernet port in basement. I have my TP-Link router connected to the modem to boost wifi signal.

2 TP-Link wifi extenders are located one in livingroom and one in upstairs hallway.

I was under the impression connecting the unconnected ethernet cables would give me connection to my fiber/internet via ethernet wall ports in livingroom, study and master bedroom.

Picked up 3 of these and few short ethernet cables.
View attachment 58803
So a modem can only assign one IP address. The router or a switch which is essentially a router without wifi assigns IP addresses to multiple devices. If all you are going to do is connect your router to one of the Ethernet ports somewhere else in the house there is no need for splitters and you can just plug the modem in to the jack then make sure that jack is connected to the place where you want to connect the router. If you want to hard wire other devices or multiple routers in bridge mode then you need a switch or a router at the point in which all the Ethernet cables come together and then the switch / router connected to the modem.

From what I’m seeing, 6e routers are starting in the $300 price range and go up to $1,700 or higher. My router cost $70. It does what it needs to, for now.

This is the router I picked up. I don’t find anything that mentions 6e in the specs or description.

TP-Link AX1800 WiFi 6 Router (Archer AX21) – Dual Band Wireless Internet Router, Gigabit Router, USB port, Works with Alexa - A Certified for Humans Device​

View attachment 58805
I was lookin at that one because of the price and no it is not wifi 6e that’s the newest wifi protocol and not many devices use it yet but the iPhone 14 is suppose to use it

Gonna try connecting the living room line in place of the basement, relocate modem and router to living room. That should work.

What I tell my customers at work is wifi is basically just a radio signal. The more advanced and faster the routers get, the distance they broadcast is shorter. But it’s faster. It’s like FM radio how the sound is much better than AM radio. AM travels super far while FM you need towers all over the place. In physics you learn as the waive lengths get tighter they don’t travel as far. So yeah they are able to transmit faster better speeds but they won’t be as good at coverage as your old netgear 2.4 N router you had 10 years ago lol. How many SQ Ft is your house? How old is it and do you have mirrored closets? Thick Stucco? Brick? Metal beams or a garage incased in metal?
The mirrors are probably just on the ceiling which, in theory, should reflect the radio signal back down.😁

Modem and router successfully relocated to living room on main level.

I use a few of these

I ran ethernet to the living room, but that's just one jack - every-damn-thing wants to be connected these days. Sat TV box, TV, HTPC, stereo. So a switch there. Same in the man cave, so a switch there. Got a switch in the garage. They are cheap, handy and plug and play. I have wifi, but good ol' ethernet is pretty solid if you can use it.

I use a few of these

I ran ethernet to the living room, but that's just one jack - every-damn-thing wants to be connected these days. Sat TV box, TV, HTPC, stereo. So a switch there. Same in the man cave, so a switch there. Got a switch in the garage. They are cheap, handy and plug and play. I have wifi, but good ol' ethernet is pretty solid if you can use it.
I bought this. I can use it in place of the others I ordered. Downside, i need to find a power/plug solution. Not really one available within proximity to where the ethernet cables are.
FD9603A5-44B0-4DF7-88A9-8D6A5F5F6A77.jpeg

Update: problem solved. My hvac room where panel/box is located is unfinished on in the room. I drilled a small hole in drywall by box, which was in close proximity to a power supply. (Surge protector) for basement tv and sound. All connected now and all works!

Last edited:
Yep, that's the same I have but an 8 port.

Been in service for some years now without a hiccup.