• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wikipedia.org - Good or Bad?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
For those who don't know, wikipedia.org is a online encyclopedia in which anyone can contribute information regarding a term, item, object, place, etc... In short, it's an online encycolpedia where EVERYONE has access to contribute information as well as delete info.

If you search for the term "cigar", you'll notice the info constantly changes. People like to go in there and constantly delete the "links" section. I have added CigarPass about 10 times in the past 3 months or so, simply because some jackass keeps deleting our listing, as well as other sites' listings. This is the one major downfall to wikipedia.org.

Check it out if you have a chance. It's an interesting idea, but it will fail without some sort of moderation or approval system. A guest can go in there and delete all the content.

I have added CigarPass about 10 times in the past 3 months or so, simply because some jackass keeps deleting our listing, as well as other sites' listings.
i wonder if bill clinton or vitasea is behind it?

Wiki is a last resort for me. They are more up to date on slang and current social trends but aren't a terribly good source for other info because the bias of the writers isn't reviewed. YMMV.

...generally good.

I would suggest adding the term Cigar Pass and writing an article which states that it was an uncommon activity made poplar by the site. You would really need to put some effort into it. Some of the (add throat clearing sound effect) "academics" over there are a little full of themselves.

Actually I’ve found a lot of good information there but it was mostly about specifics with car stereo. As for deleting the links they may not want advertising on it, or someone may not want advertising.

just my 2 cents

For those who don't know, wikipedia.org is a online encyclopedia in which anyone can contribute information regarding a term, item, object, place, etc... In short, it's an online encycolpedia where EVERYONE has access to contribute information as well as delete info.

If you search for the term "cigar", you'll notice the info constantly changes. People like to go in there and constantly delete the "links" section. I have added CigarPass about 10 times in the past 3 months or so, simply because some jackass keeps deleting our listing, as well as other sites' listings. This is the one major downfall to wikipedia.org.

Wikipedia is not supposed to be used for advertising. Cigarpass, and cigar blogs, are not trade nor manufacturer sites. They should not be listed on the cigar page of wikipedia.

Check it out if you have a chance. It's an interesting idea, but it will fail without some sort of moderation or approval system. A guest can go in there and delete all the content.

There is a moderation system, and all copies of a page are back stored. If a guest comes in and removes everything, the old version is simply restored, and the page can be locked from editing to prevent it happening again.

I like the website because it helps with my college papers and such...although we can't use the website as a citation source for some reason.

I like the website because it helps with my college papers and such...although we can't use the website as a citation source for some reason.
the reason you can't use it as a source is due to the fact that anyone can edit the article to whatever they see fit. you could do a wiki on how the moon is made of cheese and how the earth is flat ;)

the reason you can't use it as a source is due to the fact that anyone can edit the article to whatever they see fit. you could do a wiki on how the moon is made of cheese and how the earth is flat ;)

And, yeh, you definitely shouldn't use wikipedia for anything that is going to be read by a PhD in that area - because they know.

Is it named after our very own Wilkey? He is a walking encyclopedia. :D