• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Will they dry up?

JBL11183

Lurker
I have a box of Decades in my truck that is still sealed in the package. It has been in there for almost a week. Are they shot? Or are they ok cause they are sealed and unopened?

I have a box of Decades in my truck that is still sealed in the package. It has been in there for almost a week. Are they shot? Or are they ok cause they are sealed and unopened?
??? If memory serves me correct, the decades are the only Rocky's that have a humidi pack in them
Get them in a humi asap

Thanks...I hope they aren't all dried up. The worst part is they aren't even mine!

I am betting that RP freezes their decade cigars prior to shipping. Re-freezing may help, but if eggs did hatch, there isn't much you can do but huck the sticks.

I am betting that RP freezes their decade cigars prior to shipping. Re-freezing may help, but if eggs did hatch, there isn't much you can do but huck the sticks.
I don't believe that they do get put in a freezer..... At least I didn't see one around the factory and there was no mention of it

I would at least bring them in the house into a more stable temperature/environment. Do you have a cabinet humi or cooler to store them in?

They should be fine, with the increased heat they are probably over humidified....but the prolonged exposure to such high temperatures creates a haven for beetles to hatch. Personally, I would freeze them....you can never be too cautious...especially with someone else's box... ???

I hope that you plan on informing the rightful owner of the cigars about the neglect they received.

I opened up the box they seem fine. They did have the humidipak in there. The truck was in a garage and the temp probably wasn't much over 65 in there. You think I should still freeze them?

I opened up the box they seem fine. They did have the humidipak in there. The truck was in a garage and the temp probably wasn't much over 65 in there. You think I should still freeze them?

No, they're fine. If you opened them and they seem fine to you, then it's all good. :)

Glad they are ok......good smokes! You must have a lot going on right now to forget about a box of cigars like that!

I wish it were only 65 here...I guess I assumed it was pretty hot since It's already getting in the high 90's in TX. Glad they're alright...at that temp there shouldn't be a problem, but as I said before...you can never be TOO cautious.

Keep in mind the constant fluctuations between day and night time temperatures, especially over a week, might have caused some cracks to form as well, a thorough inspection of each stick is definitely in order.

At 65, you should be ok. But I would still visually inspect the cigars for beetles, mold, or split cigars.

If you see any evidence of beetles at all (black beetle, white larva, tiny little holes in the cigars, or loose black ash - the beetle droppings), then throw away any damaged cigar. Take all undamaged cigars, put them in a ziploc freezer bag, and put them in the refrigerator for 1 day, followed by freezer for 3 days, followed by refrigerator for 1 day. If you put the cigars directly in the freezer, the temperature shock will split the wrappers.

If everything looks good, then take the cigars, and put them in a humidor for a few weeks to allow them to stabilize. Then enjoy!

I wish it were only 65 here...I guess I assumed it was pretty hot since It's already getting in the high 90's in TX. Glad they're alright...at that temp there shouldn't be a problem, but as I said before...you can never be TOO cautious.

If I left anything in my car this time of year the cellophane would melt.

I need a porta-Vino to move my smokes around :laugh: