• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Window tinting in Northern Va

prometheus

Read more; post less
Does anyone do or know anyone who does window tinting in the Northern Virginia area? I need to go 5% and the locals look dumbfounded if you ask for darker than 50%.

There are vehicles running around with dark tint, so someone is doing it.

Does anyone do or know anyone who does window tinting in the Northern Virginia area? I need to go 5% and the locals look dumbfounded if you ask for darker than 50%.

There are vehicles running around with dark tint, so someone is doing it.

I don't, and this is an area I have looked into for some family members:
DO what you want, but from a pretty simple internet search:

"§ 46.2-1052 Virginia Window Tint Law

C. Except as provided in § 46.2-1053, but notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, no sun-shading or tinting film may be applied or affixed to any window of a motor vehicle unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a mirror on each side of such motor vehicle, so located as to reflect to the driver of the vehicle a view of the highway for at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle, and the sun-shading or tinting film is applied or affixed in accordance with the following:

1. No sun-shading or tinting films may be applied or affixed to the rear side windows or rear window or windows of any motor vehicle operated on the highways of this Commonwealth that reduces the total light transmittance of such window to less than thirty-five percent;

2. No sun-shading or tinting films may be applied or affixed to the front side windows of any motor vehicle operated on the highways of this Commonwealth that reduces total light transmittance of such window to less than fifty percent;

3. No sun-shading or tinting films shall be applied or affixed to any window of a motor vehicle that has a reflectance of light exceeding twenty percent;

4. Any person who operates a motor vehicle on the highways of this Commonwealth with sun-shading or tinting films that has a total light transmittance less than that required by subdivisions 1 and 2 of this subsection or a reflectance of light exceeding twenty percent shall be guilty of a traffic infraction but shall not be awarded any demerit points by the Commissioner for the violation;

5. Any person or firm who applies or affixes to the windows of any motor vehicle in Virginia sun-shading or tinting films that reduce the light transmittance to levels less than that allowed in subdivisions 1 and 2 of this subsection or that have a reflectance of light exceeding twenty percent shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor for the first offense and of a Class 2 misdemeanor for any subsequent offense; "

Also: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/VA/

Just trying to be helpful, but please feel free to ignore me (my brother did.)

Disclaimer--This is not legal advice, and you must not rely on it as such. I am not admitted to practice in the state of VA, and this information is readily available from the internet. I have no basis to know the accuracy of this information. If you are in need of legal guidance in this area, please contact an appropriately licensed attorney in your state.

Have you tried Atlantic Sun Control Inc.

I can tell you as a Virginia State Saftey Inspector, that the State Police love to bust the chops of people running around with tinting darker than the law allows.
I asked the trooper that is in charge of my station why once, he replied that they can't see what's going on inside the vehicle. This raises concerns for their saftey if a routine traffic stop is necessary.

We used to have to reject vehicles with tinting that was too dark or getting cloudy. They took that out of our hands a few years back.

most body shops will do it, some people tend to over look them even though they do everything from collision repair to pin striping, Vinyl graphics & paint. Just dont go to any of those stupid chain stores like maaco.

I've had 5% on all my trucks since 1998 and have never had a problem. I am well aware of the tint laws.

I'm not familiar with tinting percentages. So, the lower the percentage the darker it is? ???

I was not telling you what to do bro, just giving you an FYI.

Did that link look like anything that might help?

JFields
I appreciate the effort, but thats only for residential/commercial applications.

The lower the number means the darker the tint is. 5% means that only 5% of light is allowed to pass through the tint.

I have 5% and it really is almost too dark. I mean it looks cool, but from a safety standpoint at night its hard to see out of the side windows if there aren't any streetlights. Unless you are set on 5% i wouldn't go any less than 15%. As for the laws, I'm not sure how strict the police are in virginia, but i haven't been pulled over or ticketed for my tint. When I have been pulled over i rolled on my windows down. But i really don't think the police will care as long as you're not being dick, and if you look at their cars majority will have darker than legal tint.

JFields
I appreciate the effort, but thats only for residential/commercial applications.

The lower the number means the darker the tint is. 5% means that only 5% of light is allowed to pass through the tint.

They do automotive. If you go to the top of the website you will see an automotive link.
I'm guessing that the window that opens up is the same company, or an affiliate. If you click on Films they have three different ones to choose from. I'm guessing the number is the percent. However if I'm reading it right. Classic 20 is the lowest they go.

I called all of the tinting shops around here and 30% was the lowest I could find.

Back