• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wine Cellar Humi

joxxy

I have read quite a few posts on the board about using a Avanti or Haier style wine cooler as a humidor. I need something like this, as the temp in my home gets pretty warm at times. Living in Phoenix area, and just got my first real electric bill. OUCH.

Will I be able to keep the humidity up in an Avant using my cigaroasis? With relative humidity as it is here (<15%) plus the dehumidifying action of the refrigeration, do you think I can keep the humidity high enough?

Actually, you need a small fridge like a dorm style type. Then get an external thermostat. You can precisely set the on/off temp. There is a thread over at CW on the thermostat. Appaently it is a thermostat ment for keg coolers.

Emo

I think DaveC has a wine chiller-a-dor, and I know CaptainB is working on a DIY cooled humidor. Might want to PM them.

Thanks for the input. After much hand wringing and head banging, I decided on this. Nice, bigger picture here.

A few guys on other sites have this model. It's a bit big for me now, but my stock is ever-growing. I vacillated back and forth between some smaller units and this one. I suffer from acute paralysis-by-analysis, but after looking and talking to some really dumb customer support people at various manufacturers, I just figured go with a tried and true. I like the looks. We'll see!!! I may need some of your old empty boxes to make it look more filled up for a while!!

So I hate to admit it, but I'm still confused (even after reading the similar thread on CW).
If I buy one of these wine reefers, how do I control the humidity, since refridgerators are notorious for sucking the humidity out of everything?
Someone please spell it out for me, as I am pretty dense. :(
Thanks

Ive got a small dorm fridge sitting in the shed out back. I didnt realize it could be used. I'll see if I can find that thread at CW.
Bryan :thumbs:

The threads on CW are interesting to read. Apparently wive coolers will go higher in temp. THe other option I read is an external thermostat. Apparently it is for brewers. Hope that helps spme. Look in the Cedar forum over there.

Emo

I found this in the threads at CW. Apparently you use it as opposed to the internal controls??? I dont know. I guess alot more reading is in order. I think it may be easier to use a cooler and a fan! :D

bryan_h said:
Ive got a small dorm fridge sitting in the shed out back. I didnt realize it could be used. I'll see if I can find that thread at CW.
I did read the cW thread. I don't understand what an external thermostat is or how it would work in a coolidor or refrigerator.

An external thermostat is a thermostat with a probe you have inside the fridge. You set the thermostat to say 68, and it will turn on the fridge/cooler when it gets above 68, and turn off the fridge when it gets below. Actually cycles the power. I think you can just disable the stock thermostat.

Look here at a Johnson Controls unit.

The reason I went with a wine cooler is cause it does indeed have a higher temp range, around 45-65F. Don't have an old fridge, the avanti is slimmer, etc.

For humidity, I'll be using cigar oasis AND beads. This has worked well in my coolers, and it keeps the humidity dead nuts on. I need the oasis since my ambient RH is around 7%.

If I buy one of these wine reefers, how do I control the humidity, since refridgerators are notorious for sucking the humidity out of everything?

I belive this is answered by something I found on a samsung refrigerator site:

single evaporator refrigerators use dehumidified air from the freezer compartment to cool the refrigerator compartment

The defroster in the freezer aparantly is the main culprit. Found something here at a sausage web site, of all places. I gather you can disconnect the defroster on some models.

OH, AND MY AVANTI SHOWED UP TODAY!!! YEAH!!! :thumbs: :D :thumbs: :D On the same day that a box of Monti #2's and Mag 46's arrived. A very good day. :love:

SILLY!

J I have got to get back out there! You and A are living the high life! I gotta give you a call soon anyway. Got an idea to help with your spanish classes ;)