• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wine Cooler “conversion”

Aalvord2

Wine Cooler Conversion

IMG_7476.png
This is what I started with. It’s and edge star wine cooler I found on market place. The guy said it wouldn’t cool. Claimed he had an appliance repairman come out to evaluate the unit. He said that the compressor shit the bed. Turns out I know a guy who deals with heating and cooling on a regular basis. For the whopping price of $150 I loaded it up and took it home. The compressor worked fine, the lack of refrigerant in the system was an issue. It appeared a four legged animal nibbled on the service line of the compressor at some point.

I kept the compressor and evaporator hooked up, because for some reason my mind operates in the manner of “better to have and not need, than need and not have”. I also kept the defrost attached in case I ever decide to run heat in the unit.

It goes with out saying there’s probably a thousand different ways to go about this. If you haven’t noticed yet, I have the tendency to get hyper focused on a hobby once I get started.
IMG_7470.jpeg

I started by pulling the center divider out of the unit. It’s a perfect place to hide wiring and controls. I cut two vents on the bottom side of the center divider to allow air to move from the bottom section.
IMG_7464.jpeg
I spliced into the existing 110V incoming power and wired it up the the humidity controller. I then ran the 110v coming out of the controller to a 12V step down transformer. Then the outgoing 12V from the transformer to the terminal block for the fans and lights.

IMG_7463.jpeg
I added the UV strip lights with the intention of using the UV Lights ability to kill bacteria. I’m hoping this will keep any mold from being able to survive. They come on anytime the fans get a call from the humidity control. I also kept the factory temperature display in the top of the unit. I wasn’t sure if it would still operate properly when everything was said and done, but it does.
IMG_7459.jpeg
I kept this fan that is on the top side of the center divider. I took it out of the styrofoam and discarded the styrofoam. If I were to do it again I would have kept some sections of the the styrofoam for reinforcement of the center divider.
IMG_7453.jpeg
I removed the styrofoam from the defrost heating element, but left the element in place. This could easily be controlled by an external temperature controller for heating at a later date.

IMG_7457.jpegI kept the evaporator in place as well.
IMG_7465.jpeg
I cut a hole to allow for the humidity controller to sit in the center divider. I used Black RTV around the edges of the humidity controller. I did the same for the zone thermometer as well. I kept the exciting LED lights hooked up in the cabinet. Both the top and bottom are wired into a 12v motion sensor switch, so they don’t stay on 24/7.

IMG_7493.jpeg
Originally I did not intend on putting a “real” humidification device in the unit. After scrolling through Amazon, I found this guy for $69. I really couldn’t pass on giving it a shot. I plan on test running dual zone humidification to see how it does. I have a feeling just running this one will be more than enough. Amazon lost the first one, so maybe I’ll wind up with two.

Part 2 to follow:

Attachments

• IMG_7465.jpeg
    IMG_7465.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1
Continued:

71684646408__3ED62729-5121-4C65-9CF5-AF5E42DDEE58.jpeg

Don’t be like me and try to move a wine cooler down your stairs by yourself.

IMG_7485.jpeg
After successfully not riding this thing like a bobsled down my stairs and dying, I put the Spanish cedar trays in, and also a couple of glass top humidors I have. Checked on it in the morning and it was maintaining 70% humidity. Also going to note that this room is heated/cooled and the cooler does a great job at maintaining ambient temperature as well. If you have OCD, don’t look at the Opus-X sticker for too long.

IMG_7495.jpeg
All in all I am extremely happy with how it turned out. For the amount of money I have wrapped up in it, I feel like it is pretty hard to beat. Like I said, the possibilities are pretty endless and a person could get really involved with it if the wanted to. It was a fun project. If I run out of room in this thing I’m going to have some real problems!

Parts List:

Humidifier

Terminal block

UV LED lights

Humidity controller

Temperature Display

Fan covers

12V motion sensor

Spanish Cedar Trays

Very impressive write up, explanation, photos. I enjoyed following along, and for the dollars you spent you should go to confession. Great post.

I’d like to add that I am using 70% humidification beads in this unit to maintain humidity. They do a great job.

Looks like a great DIY conversion. I was using Heartfelt beads early on, but they keep hiking the prices. The Page has the Cigar Caddy silica beads that work great.. AND, only $15 for a pound.. shipped free:

Just have to keep an eye on your hygro the first few days after charging them. I know for me personally, I like my sticks more in the 62-65% range. So I just mist the beads as opposed to submersion... keeps the RH at my preferred range.

Your humidity controller looks solid, but I still like the little Govee hygros that will send you alerts if your RH goes outside the range you set. It's cheap peace of mind!

Looks like a great DIY conversion. I was using Heartfelt beads early on, but they keep hiking the prices. The Page has the Cigar Caddy silica beads that work great.. AND, only $15 for a pound.. shipped free:

Just have to keep an eye on your hygro the first few days after charging them. I know for me personally, I like my sticks more in the 62-65% range. So I just mist the beads as opposed to submersion... keeps the RH at my preferred range.

Your humidity controller looks solid, but I still like the little Govee hygros that will send you alerts if your RH goes outside the range you set. It's cheap peace of mind!
The Govee definitely sounds like a solid insurance policy. I may look into that if I start to see noticeable fluctuation in the humidity. So far it’s maintained 69-70 well. I’ve added dry beads on top of the submerged beads to create a 70%/30% “white to clear” ratio like heartfelt recommends, and that seems to be doing the trick. I’ve also been in the habit of letting a cigar sit outside of the humidor for 24 hours or more before smoking, just my preference.

I’ve also been in the habit of letting a cigar sit outside of the humidor for 24 hours or more before smoking, just my preference.

Yup.. I do the same. I go to my local lounge almost every Saturday night. I take my lounge sticks out Friday nights... usually. It does depend on the stick. A beefy broadleaf is gonna typically hold moisture longer than a buttery smooth Connie (Ex, I open end of cello on a Tabernacle, but not a DR Davidoff).

So yeah, you're shedding those few points down to an actual smokeable range. Nothing worse that a stick going out every 2 mins!