• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wine-dor?

DKAudio

I am looking for a broken wine cooler to use as a new humidor. I have not been able to find one and don't want to spend much at all. I thought a wine cooler would be perfect because it has a clear door and spots for shelves. Any ideas on where I can aquire a non-working one for cheap? Thanks

Um... Instead of searching a non-working wine cooler just purchase the new one, and hit it really hard few times with a bat. Thats how You can get your non-working coolidor. Hope I could help.

I actually picked up a working wine cooler at Home Depot for $50 a couple years ago. Not the most high-tech thing, but it had been a floor model, and it was hard to turn away from for $50. It's still used to hold beer and wine, but if I were you, I would check out the demo/floor models at home stores. You may just luck out.

Check the local dump or appliance recycling center.

Should have plenty to choose from.

Almost all the racks on these are made to hold wine bottles so they're really curvy and not good for storing boxes because that makes the boxes take up too much space. I'd recommend getting a working one, one of those beer temperature monitors and then you'll have a temperature controlled humidor on the cheap.

ps - don't forget beads.

Almost all the racks on these are made to hold wine bottles so they're really curvy and not good for storing boxes because that makes the boxes take up too much space. I'd recommend getting a working one, one of those beer temperature monitors and then you'll have a temperature controlled humidor on the cheap.

ps - don't forget beads.

Agreed. It can be done for a very reasonable price!! See this thread for LOTS of really good info!

I did mine very cheaply for the amount of storage space I got, and so far I am still VERY happy with it! Works like a champ!!

ps - don't forget beads.

Agreed. It can be done for a very reasonable price!! See this thread for LOTS of really good info!

I did mine very cheaply for the amount of storage space I got, and so far I am still VERY happy with it! Works like a champ!!

I've got the same unit that Fuscat has. After figuring ot my shelf arrangement and putting the Cigar Oasis in mine (still have some beads), I'm happy as a pig in slop with it. It holds humidity like a champ and with the external controller the temp is darn steady. I got it for a little less than a c-note at Target.

Ok, I got a free one. It is not very big (8 bottle) but much bigger than my 50ct desktop. It doesn't cool and that is how I got it for free. I removed the peltier device and other high current consumers. The only thing I pretty much left was a relay board for the interior light, temp display, and interior fan. How long should I leave the interior fan on for? It doesn't take in any outside air, just moves the interior air around. Should I run it all the time? It is a pretty low CFM fan, just enough for a gentle breeze. Thanks

The prevalent opinion I found on the fan issue is to jsut run it a little bit per day. We're talking a few minutes, nothing more. It has to do with the constantly moving air expediting the evaporation of oils from the cigars.

The air movement is really just to ensure the distribution of humidity. I doubt you'd have to run it at all with that sized unit. For something like that I'd just put in a few more beads than recommended and let it stabilize. Should be good to go.

If you were using the cooling a little fan action might help to keep the temp steady, but at that size I don't think it would matter all that much even then.

Experiment with it. The first thing I'd try is no fan running and see how it stabilizes...