• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Winston Churchill line: Chequers

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
This is the newest line in the Davidoff family. There are, I believe, 4 different types of tobacco in this blend: Nicaraguan, Peruvian, Dominican, and one other I cannot remember. The pre-lit draw was good, not difficult or too easy. At first the cigar started off medium bodies, with a muted spice through the nose. The taste had a sweetness that I could attribute to the Nicaraguan tobacco and a slight hint of cedar or wood. Occasionally, I’d get a cream flavor too. I thought the flavor was pretty consistent through the cigar, though, I did notice the cigar gaining strength during the smoke. Toward the end of it, I would defiantly say it was full bodied. Overall, I liked it, but like with Davidoff’s in general, it was out of my price range for a regular cigar.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I found this cigar to be strong to the point of being unbalanced. Smooth? Yes. Beautiful to look at? Yup. Well constructed? Absolutely. But its power was overwhelming.

Full-bodied I don't mind a bit, but less nicotinocity, please. :D

they only made 25K cigars for this release, so it might also be too limited for a regular cigar.

I smoked one at JimD's shop last week. Really nice cigar. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I agree that it went from medium-full to full as it smoked.
I was pretty empty food-wise, so the nicotine was a tad heavy by the time I had to put it down and head home, though I didn't feel it to be overwhelming....and I'm a lightweight nowadays.

Here is my take on these and a pic
WinstonChurchill.jpg

I finally got around to smoking some of the fine cigars I received from Brad (smokyballs) from The Outlaw Cigar Company. These cigars were part of the contest he had back in August.

The cigars I have smoked so far are CAO Millennium, San Cristobal Clasico, Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ, Ashton ESG and a 601 (all new to me). But the star of the show was the Winston Churchill Marrakesh by Davidoff.

From Cigar Insider: Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007
“Davidoff of Geneva has introduced a new brand called Winston Churchill. Named after arguably the world's most famous cigar icon, the project was a collaboration between Sir Winston's grandson Winston S. Churchill and Davidoff cigarmaker Hendrick "Henke" Kelner.

The Winston Churchill is the first non-Davidoff-branded cigar to be made at the Cigars Davidoff factory in the Dominican Republic. Other Davidoff brands such as Zino, Zino Platinum and Avo are produced at OK Cigars, also in the Dominican Republic. The new cigar is also the only one with full Cuban seed tobacco produced by Davidoff. The tobacco in the Winston Churchill is from the Dominican Republic, Peru and Nicaragua, and finished with an Ecuadoran sun-grown wrapper.”

The Marrakesh is a 6” X 50, and is in the $16 range.

I was a bit worried when I pulled this baby out of my humi. There was a pretty large vein and it was a very hard, tightly rolled cigar. I had to really squeeze the cutter to clip the cap. I was expecting a tight draw, but it lit very easily and the draw was perfect. The burn was even throughout the almost 1 hour of smoking.

The first draw was pure pleasure. It had a very slight spicy taste, but not pepper; I couldn’t put my finger on what spice it was though. Along with that spiciness was a nutty, woody flavor along with a lip smackin’ creaminess. I would rate this as a medium bodied cigar.

I smoked this baby watching PTI, so I didn’t pay too much attention to the exact flavors throughout the smoke, but it was pure pleasure. I just sat there watching Wilbon and Kornheiser (goodnight Canada) argue while I smoked. This finish brought a little more of the unknown spiciness.

Overall this cigar hit a home run. I put this cigar right up there with Padron’s Anniversary, serie 1926 and Opus X on my list of favorite cigars.

I had my first one last night while enjoying a St. Paddy's day band! This was one amazing cigar, I agree it had nice hints of sweat spicy with creamy under tones! I will be going back to my B&M tomorrow to load up on these! I can't wait to smoke one in a year! :love:

I enjoyed one of these a couple of weeks ago at J.M. Boswell's shop in Chambersburg, PA. I am glad to hear others had similar experiences to my own.
I found it to be a very enjoyable smoke that developed character and strength as it went along. I had not eaten lunch and I did feel it as others have suggested. It is a powerful smoke but very smooth and refined in flavor IMO. It is too expensive for all but a special occasion smoke for me but certainly a very fine smoke, pretty as well as tasty. I too would like to try one in a year or two. I'll have to pick up a couple and put them away. :D

I had one at De La Concha in NYC the other day. I bought three cigars, one a Diamond Crown robusto. I thought I was smoking the DC and about a third of the way I said to myself that this was a great cigar. I looked at the band and saw I lit the WC instead. The cigar changes with taste as you go along. It starts mild and builds to a more stronger profile about half way through. Good construction, good draw, nice aroma. Once I save up my pennies, and I will need quiet a few, I hope to buy a box. Overall it was an enjoyable smoke. :thumbs: Due to price, it is not the kind of cigar I will smoke everyday, unless I win the lotto. :laugh:

I've smoked probably about a dozen of these since they came out. Good smoke, but, IMO, not worth the dollar. There are a few other high dollar sticks I'd rather smoke if I'm gonna burn the better part of 20 bucks.

Definitely worth a try if you haven't yet, though. I would definitely say these would be much better in 3-5 years.

They sound Yummmmmmy. Can't wait to pick one up. Thanks for the reviews.