• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wireless Router Question

Matt R

That's #1 Member to you. :)
Bought a new laptop last night (Sony Vaio VGN-N130G/W) and a NetGear Super G wireless Router. Now, I'm assuming setting up the router itself isn't very difficult, but what about securing my connection. I was able to get into the neighbor's connection last night right when I turned the computer on and would prefer that my neighbors not be able to do the same. Are there any obvious steps I might mess up? I am somewhat computer literate when it comes to operating them, but setting up this kind of stuff always frustrates me.

LOL, being a woodworker, I read the title and was thinking of a woodworking router! Sorry, I can't help here.

Turn on WEP and turn off polling.

Here's some quick stuff from Comcast's site - just because it's straight forward:
Linky

PM me if you need more info.

Nope, no new power tools... the last one I bought seems to be holding up well though...

drilldo18er-vi.gif

NetGear's website has decent information, try giving it a whirl.

Not sure if your router has it, but use WPA encryption instead of WEP, it's more secure.

I'd recommend using MAC filtering. This will keep unwanted users off your network, but won't encrypt your wireless network traffic. Using WEP or WPA will add overhead and slow your network down.

PM me if you would like help setting it up or want to ask questions about the differences between your options.

Brian

A couple of things that I learned when I got a laptop and a wireless router.... make sure your signal is not broadcasting it's name... make sure the signal is hidden... this means that if somebody comes near your house with a wireless laptop they won't be able to tell a signal is being broadcast

Next... don't be so obvious with your password.... don't make it your initials, house address number, pet's name... your neighbors all know these things.

Remember, it is your IP address and anything that is done thru it is registered to you
(I think)

A couple of things that I learned when I got a laptop and a wireless router.... make sure your signal is not broadcasting it's name... make sure the signal is hidden... this means that if somebody comes near your house with a wireless laptop they won't be able to tell a signal is being broadcast

Next... don't be so obvious with your password.... don't make it your initials, house address number, pet's name... your neighbors all know these things.

Remember, it is your IP address and anything that is done thru it is registered to you
(I think)
like tommy said, turn off SSID (broadcasting)

I'd recommend using MAC filtering. This will keep unwanted users off your network, but won't encrypt your wireless network traffic. Using WEP or WPA will add overhead and slow your network down.

PM me if you would like help setting it up or want to ask questions about the differences between your options.

Brian
Right answer. Every network adapter has a fixed, unique "MAC" address (media access controller). The most secure method there is, is to tell your router to only use authorized MAC addresses and ignore connection requests from anything else.

Around B.B.S. labs (and given that hardwired network adapters are what I do for a living), we pull good old CAT5E. We don't worry about such things.... :p

Good luck, Matt - B.B.S.

I networked the house with CAT5 when we built it, but would rather have the accessibility to just turn on the laptop anywhere. I'm working off the neighbor's router right now. I'll get mine set up soon, so, be expecting some PMs. LOL!

WEP/WPA for securing data.

MAC filtering to prevent anyone else from being able to connect.

WPA is slower than WEP, but depending on the speed of your router vs net connection it may be negligible anyway.

I have a D-Link Extreme G setup using MAC filtering and 128 bit WEP (can't use WPA because of incompatibility with my DVD player and my cell phone, but WEP is fine). When using only the Extreme G stuff (wireless NIC in the laptop, and a bridge for the PS2), I get 108mbps through the wireless, and with my 15mbps net connection I get close to a full megabyte per second download speed through the wireless (get 1.5 - 1.6 MB/s on the wired connections). Without encryption I can get full speed, but the small hit is worth the security.

(My ISP recently upgraded their service from 10mbps to 15mbps - at the older speeds I was getting a full speed connection through the wireless, so I can't even complain about the small hit I now get ;) )