• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Working Conditions of Cigar Workers

The only company that I have ever considered purchasing from solely because of the way they treat their employees is J.C. Newman.

However, that consideration hasn't moved me to do so, nor consider that company's products over another company's products. This isn't because I am marginalizing what I perceive is your intent. I just feel that the premium cigar industry has changed the lives of many in Central America for the better. Where there was only subsistence-level poverty, there is now industry and a higher standard of living.

YMMV.

Here's a link on the guy behind the Cameroon wrapper. It's an interesting story, and one that recognizes the efforts of a man trying to run his business the right way, in a very challenging environment

Rick Meerapfel

Moki, I had never seen the pics of the Fuente factory on your site. Thanks for the link

Jack-off

Speaking for the factory where my cigars are made...YES. They're the highest paid rollers in Honduras and treated VERY well. FYI, The Honduran Gov't is raising wages by 50% this year - good times.

Thanks for everyone's input. Like I said, I wasn't really looking to trash any company or make a statement. Being new I'm just starting to explore various Cigars and figured I'd start with companies that have a decent reputation, sort of the "fair trade" idea. I'll still smoke which ever type I like regardless but I will be exploring Feuntes more than I might have otherwise, as well as some of the others mentioned here as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Do you shop at Wal Mart or Target or is just your cigars based off of how the rollers are paid?

Jack-off

Speaking for the factory where my cigars are made...YES. They're the highest paid rollers in Honduras and treated VERY well. FYI, The Honduran Gov't is raising wages by 50% this year - good times.

...or so you would have us believe....

But, seriously folks, this is consistent with what I've heard. Are they all getting set to order their new Range Rovers? Not likely, but they live as well or better than anyone else in the area.

Do you shop at Wal Mart or Target or is just your cigars based off of how the rollers are paid?

I thought I addressed that in a previous post about going to McD's as an example. I have to say I'm really not sure why all the hostility towards my question. I do shop at Wal-Mart and other large nationals that may not always have the best reputation, sure. Like I said, I'm not some tree hugging Pinko with a warped world view that we should all be holding hands and singing. I simply wanted to know if there were companies out there that had positive reputations around them in this regards so that I could explore them as I find what type of cigar I enjoy. That's all. This really is not as left wing or anti corporation as you seem to have taken it, I'm sorry if I gave the impression otherwise, it was not my intent.

Mike

I thought I addressed that in a previous post about going to McD's as an example. I have to say I'm really not sure why all the hostility towards my question. I do shop at Wal-Mart and other large nationals that may not always have the best reputation, sure. Like I said, I'm not some tree hugging Pinko with a warped world view that we should all be holding hands and singing. I simply wanted to know if there were companies out there that had positive reputations around them in this regards so that I could explore them as I find what type of cigar I enjoy. That's all. This really is not as left wing or anti corporation as you seem to have taken it, I'm sorry if I gave the impression otherwise, it was not my intent.

Mike

Its not that everyone is giving you hard time to be mean. There is kind of an unwritten law of the internet forums that decrees when a newer member on ANY forum asks for research with a lengthy set of "rules" that roughly 50% of the replies will break those rules. You shouldn't get ruffled over it. Its just how this kinda of thing works.

With that said. To add something constructive to this thread. Looking at wages is great, but that needs to be compared to the cost of living in that particular country. I'm not sure how communist Cuba works as far as wages, or Honduras etc. I would start by looking at the companies that provide benefits above and beyond wages (medical in particular), which as a many have said Fuente, Davidoff and others do provide in some cases.

Mike

communist-party-poster.jpg

hoshnasi, you're bang on with the cost of living thing, absolutely it's important, just hearing a wage and reacting to it, or benefits, living/working conditions, any of that, is not the way of doing things with any industry. It's all relative to that particular community/country/industry.

I've enjoyed the various inputs from everyone, it just seemed that bfreebern has taken some offense to the question or I've touched a nerve, for which I apologize, it was not my attempt.

And, as a noob I certainly did expect some flack ;) It's all part of the joy and anonymity of the internet, not to mention the fact no one here knows me from a hole in the wall!

In any case, I've certainly got some discussion going which has enlightened me and helped me out so I'm pleased.

Moki- I really enjoyed those pics from the factory, I've been slowly making my way through the website. And that last post gave me a good laugh at work.

Mike

snip....
And, as a noob I certainly did expect some flack ;) It's all part of the joy and anonymity of the internet, not to mention the fact no one here knows me from a hole in the wall!

snip
Hmmmm.....you made a post you knew you would get flack for as "part of the joy and anonymity of the internet". Intentionally posting to........ah, never mind.

ashauler, what I meant is that I have rarely seen a thread (not so much here, but certainly other forums) where someone doesn't get some flack for something, especially if that person is a noob. I didn't post to get flack or start it but I certainly expected it. The anonymity comment wasn't meant about myself but that in general people don't mind making comments or saying things on the internet they might not otherwise say to another person if they were having a face to face friendly discussion.

Look at that, I kinda thread jacked my own thread.

Mike

I know absolutely nothing about the question at hand but want to say to Moki that those pictures are awesome. I also hadn't seen them in checking out your site. Thanks for sharing them.

ashauler, what I meant is that I have rarely seen a thread (not so much here, but certainly other forums) where someone doesn't get some flack for something, especially if that person is a noob. I didn't post to get flack or start it but I certainly expected it. The anonymity comment wasn't meant about myself but that in general people don't mind making comments or saying things on the internet they might not otherwise say to another person if they were having a face to face friendly discussion.

Look at that, I kinda thread jacked my own thread.

Mike
Well.....what you typed is what I quoted in my previous post.

You're on the wrong forum if you expect people here to be different in person than on-line.......we are composed, for the most part, of adults with integrity and character, not play-actors performing on some kind of stage.

It does pose an interesting question.

Would you buy a cigar from a company that used child labor or sweatshop conditions?

Due to the nature of cigars and the skill needed to roll a consistent product it is doubtful that such labor conditions exist anywhere in the industry.