• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

World Cup 2010 South Africa

Woohoo...I think everyone should thank the Germans. They've just stopped the world from witnessing Maradonna running naked through the streets.

As for the game? Wow! Talk about clinical.

The Germans kicked the crap out of Argentina (and put me out of the pool). That team's defence is awesome and they definitely know how to score.

Ken

We're off to the finals for the first time since 1978! Spain, Germany, whoever it is, we'll see you there!

I'm happy for Netherlands!!! They deserve it.
Robben, Sneijder and Kuyt reminds me of Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard back in the 90's.
What a great team they had then and now.

Anyone heard from Shawn lately? Knowing him, he said the wrong thing to his wife and didn't make it through the night.
ohmy.gif
sign.gif

Doc.

Just over seven hours to kick-off! I hope you guys have big plans for watching the game and that we are all treated to a classic.

Oh yea, and GO ORANJE!!!!!

I am going to be watching with bells on! This is great! The first World Cup Finals with out Argentina, Brazil, Germany, or Italy :0 ! I can't believe that is true; not necessarily that these teams didn't make it this year, but since 1930 one of those 4 teams have been in the Finals...that is just insane.

I am cheering for the underdog even though Spain is my team in the WC Pool. Either way it should be a great game with a first time winner.

What a great game...I almost threw up when the Dutch sent the ball back to Casillas out of sportsmanship and it almost went in!! HA! That would have been a way to lose your world cup final.

Well, I'm feeling pretty gutted at the moment. Waited most of my life to see my team in the World Cup Finals, only to have them come up short. Full marks to Spain. They are deserving champions. And they play a beautiful game. But wow, this one stings.

I thought that the Spaniards came out really strong and really owned the first ten minutes of the game. But from then until Robben missed his breakaway, the Dutch did what they needed to do. They pressured the Spaniards in the midfield, forced them to make longer passes, to put up more 50/50 balls, and to turn the ball over. They didn't sit back the way the Germans did. They really tried to come forward. After Robben missed the breakaway, the team seemed to slump. But, for most of the game, I thought they were equal to the challenge posed by the Spaniards.

Many of the commentators are already getting on the Dutch for "playing dirty." But I have to say that I think the ref made a real meal of this game. He went to his cards far too early and handed out a bunch of really soft yellows early on. As we have seen so many times, he boxed himself into a corner so that he had to let some fouls go uncarded even though they were comparable to or worse than fouls for which he had given cards earlier because otherwise he would have been red carding players early in the second half. The one that really stings of course is the foul by Puyol on Robben that went uncalled only minutes before the ref showed the red card to Heitinga for virtually the same foul. Of course, you have to show a yellow to Heitinga for that grab. But you have to show one to Puyol too. Then, of course, the goal came right through the area where Heitinga would have been playing.

But all that said, Robben has got to score when he has a breakaway. The Dutch didn't put their chances away (even the pass back to Casillas!), and they came up short. As I said, it leaves me feeling gutted. But I do know that Spain are deserving champions.

In any event, this thread has been a lot of fun. I have really enjoyed following the tournament with you guys. And hey, Euro is only two years away!

I thought it was a good game and a good WC. I wish I could say it was great, but alas it was not.

I agree with Man in Black about the ref, he pulled so many cards, he had to be reserved to keep from red carding players out of the game. I think he pulled the cards early in order to keep control of the game.

Robben should have made his goal and even though I give him credit for being a great player, he takes a lot of dives which if a pain the the ass. The Dutch got a lot further than I thought they would.

Ken