• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

World War Z: Who is going to see it? (Plus The Hobbit)

souldog

OG Post-Whorer since 2008 bitches...
I apologize if this topic has already been created, but I searched and didn't find anything...

It comes out on June 21 of this year and stars Brad Pitt. It is so bizarre that Pitt is starring in a zombie film, seeing as a few years ago the "zombie genre" was more popular on the fringes of movie society.

Is anyone planning to go see it?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z_(film)

Doesn't sound like it is following the book very much. That being said I may go see it.

Les Miserable is awesome and you should all take your wives to see

Looks like a great flick and the preview in the theaters looks great on the big screen!

I'm in!
Paul

I'm bored with the whole zombie thing. I won't be there.

I disagree with Breedy on Les Miserables. I thought it was awful. I was the only one in the theater that probably thought that, but it was terribly filmed and most of the singing was not good.

I also loved The Hobbit, so my taste in movies is obviously different than a lot of folks.

Doesn't sound like it is following the book very much. That being said I may go see it.

Les Miserable is awesome and you should all take your wives to see

This. Also my wife went to see Les Miserables with her mom etc. so I will probably watch it solo, hear it is great and I love the story/book.

ETA - Also interest in seeing the Hobbit but life has had me too busy, another one of my favorite books of all time.

I disagree with Breedy on Les Miserables. I thought it was awful. I was the only one in the theater that probably thought that, but it was terribly filmed and most of the singing was not good.

I also loved The Hobbit, so my taste in movies is obviously different than a lot of folks.

I loved LotR and we were between the Hobbit and Les Miserables, the showing time for LM was the deciding factor. I've seen a pretty good off Broadway production and I enjoyed the movie more. Russell Crowe won't win any Tony but I enjoyed the more spoken than sung aspects of a couple of characters. Borat was fantastic in his role.

A strong soundtrack and awesome storyline on top of making the wife happy, well worth it.

Side note : Alan version did you see? I've heard bad things about the HFR 3d

I saw The Hobbit in 3D and loved it. It followed the book pretty well, but I don't understand how they're going to get two more movies out of it. They are 2/3 of the way through the book with the first movie.

I loved LotR and we were between the Hobbit and Les Miserables, the showing time for LM was the deciding factor. I've seen a pretty good off Broadway production and I enjoyed the movie more. Russell Crowe won't win any Tony but I enjoyed the more spoken than sung aspects of a couple of characters. Borat was fantastic in his role.

A strong soundtrack and awesome storyline on top of making the wife happy, well worth it.

Side note : Alan version did you see? I've heard bad things about the HFR 3d

I saw the 2D version on an Ultrascreen (a screen that's 32x64 or some such measurement; it's a converted imax theater so one wall was the screen). I don't like 3D movies and we don't have a theater here that can play the hfr 3D version. That version is actually in very few theaters from what I understand.

I saw The Hobbit in 3D and loved it. It followed the book pretty well, but I don't understand how they're going to get two more movies out of it. They are 2/3 of the way through the book with the first movie.

There is a lot of stuff from the appendices in Return of the King in these three films. From what I've read, the next movie will get them to the mountain and Smaug v. Lake Town will be a big part of the story. Remember, they've yet to encounter Beorn, the Mirkwood spiders, and the wood elves along the way. There are also rumors of the audience having a look into what Gandalf was doing during his time away from the group.

The third movie will most likely be a lot of the Battle of the Five Armies. We don't get much of that in the book since Bilbo isn't really involved in it, but I don't see how Jackson could resist filming more battle scenes (which he does quite well) and showing the fates of some of the most prevalent characters in the story. There's also the journey home to cover.

I don't agree that 3 good movies can't be made from the material. Three 3 hour movies seems a bit long, but if you really look at the story, there's a lot of detail that needs to be filled in if one is telling the story visually and there are some time passage issues, as well. I have also always thought that the ending of the book was rushed a bit.

Yeah, some of it was dragged out a bit, but one film would have seemed rushed. Two may have been the sweet spot if Jackson was just doing The Hobbit. He's doing more than just The Hobbit, though, which I think can be made into 3 pretty good films.

Had he named the trilogy "Return to Middle Earth" or something I think there would be less criticism on stretching it out.

Now that I've outed myself as a LOTR dork, I'll head back to my hobo pit. There's work to be done...

I'll be collecting some zombie fans and going to see WWZ... somewhere where I can have beer.

Definitely a fan of zombie movies since I was a kid. I really enjoyed both of Max Brooks' books so this movie is a definite must for me. Only thing is that the zombies have already changed from the slow plodding type described in the book to the fast moving kind like in Dawn of the Dead (another favorite of mine), so we'll see how that affects things.

Zombie fan all around! So I will be seeing it in the Theater (which is rare for me now a days)

I wasn't going to reply for fear of hijacking the thread. But screw it, it's only Jon. :p

That movie seemed like it was a 30min TV show. I sat there enthralled just as I did with the original LOTR trilogy. So yeah, I'm with you on the nerdiness. I can't recall ever being bored by a scene from these movies, Jackson does minutiae as well as just about anyone. In fact the scenes taken out of the first trilogy are some of my favorite scenes. I wouldn't have cut a thing. Can't wait to see what he does next.

Oh Alan, you dirty LOTR whore!

Total thread hijack, and I might add a "The Hobbit" reference in the title since I too want to weigh in on the movie since I saw the first showing on opening day. To be fair for what I'm about to say, I will preface my statement with two things: Tolkien was my first "real fiction author" that I began reading when I was 10, and I read The Hobbit all the way to the adventures of Legolas and Gimli, so Tolkien's work holds a special place in my heart. The second thing is that in my waning age, I truly have a poor memory.

With that out of the way, I thought The Hobbit was awful. I don't know exactly why either. It may have been because the scope of the "original" theatrical trilogy of the first three LOTR movies was so epic and amazing that I was utterly enthralled and experienced definite completion at the closing credits of ROTK, or maybe it is because I became so used to large action sequences and just enough story scattered throughout said action sequences that I felt it was the most epic trilogy ever created since the original release of the Star Wars films.

When I sat through The Hobbit, I was insanely disappointed, bored, at points even annoyed at the long drawn out "dwarves sequence" and the goofiness of the material. As a Tolkien and Jackson fan, it frustrated me that I was so upset about it. The dialogue drug on, the character development seemed to cross the line of "campy," and the end of the film seemed completely out of the blue. I felt the movie lacked a real flow, even though the story (from what I could remember) was followed well. I just think I went in with high expectations as the result of the amazing quality of the first trilogy Jackson completed, that I walked into the theater biased. :shrug: This is just one man's humble opinion, but there it is...

You may cast your stones Alan, or in your case, mummified hobo heads.

One thing that most people forget is that The Hobbit was a children's story. It was fairly light in tone, campy at times, and generally "fluffy." As a story, it simply doesn't have the gravity that the LOTR trilogy possesses. The world is not at stake in The Hobbit, it's just a story about some dudes hiking to a mountain of gold.

I was never bored and TheBoy(c) was nearly brought to tears when it ended saying, "They made a mistake, that's not the end. I want to watch the rest!"

Once I explained to him that it was going to be 3 movies, he calmed down and he hasn't stopped talking about the movie since. He's 10, so maybe it's more a film for kids and the simple minded amongst us. :D

Ill be seeing it when it comes out on DVD or blu ray. I have a pretty nice home theater setup, well nice to me anyway.

Side note, I just watched the whole Harry potter series seeing the first two for the first time. Kinda amazing how they fit it all together in these longer series.

Jon, do yourself a favor and read World War Z. While the movie may be good (Reminds me more of a 'I Am Legend, Part 2') by the previews it has fallen FAR and AWAY from the book. But then again, what do you expect with Pitt at the reigns. I'll wait for it to come out on DVD.

Now... the Hobbit... :thumbs: