• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Worth buying?

Danforz

I admit, I get suckered by novelty. So, upon realizing I lost my Opus X Dupont lighter (what a waste!) I decided I wanted to buy another snazzy piece. I came across these Promethius lighters and they seemed reasonably priced for a Fuente item:

http://www.fuenteagedselection.com/main/product/2012/magmatultimox.htm

The one I'm interested in is the flint or the triple torch pocket lighter. (Note: there is also a triple torch desk top lighter). I know, I could just get a regular old $35 torch or even a $5 gas station torch and that will do the trick. Alas, I'm a sucker for rare Fuente anything :(

So, here are my questions:

- Have you purchased anything from Promethius and what was your impression?
- What is the difference between the flint lighter and the torch lighter? 
- Can you recommend anything else snazzy at <$100?

Thanks guys,
Daniel

I have the large one and it has worked very well for a couple of years, like it a lot. The only difference I see is mine is associated with the Cigar Family Charitable Foundation which I feel is a good cause. On the back of mine it has the details on the CFCF.

Torch lighters are pressurized and work like a torch.  They use butane and are normally piezoelectric.  Flint lighters are more like the old Zippos.  I don't do much fluff buying so I can't recommend a snazzy lighter.  Xikar works well for my needs and they stand by them to the extreme.

I have three of the Prometheus Retros.  Why three?  Lose one, buy another, find the lost one(s) :blush: .  It has the flint ignition.  I decided on flint when every piezo ignition I've ever owned failed rapidly, be it on a camp stove or cigar lighter.  I would recommend them with one reservation.  They need to be babied of sorts.  You have to clean out the ignition area regularly (once every week or two) with a q-tip.  The flint dust builds up and causes some interesting burn patterns which in turn can cause issues with the spout.  I'm also a fan of the single flame and the thin, lightweight profile.  I can't speak for the rest of their lighters, but at $75 I would recommend the Retro.

I have not one but two Blazer PB-207's.  I think they are snazzy because they work, perfectly, every freaking time.  I haven't had to purge or clean or do anything to them other than put decent fuel in them.  For years.  

BlindedByScience said:
I have not one but two Blazer PB-207's.  I think they are snazzy because they work, perfectly, every freaking time.  I haven't had to purge or clean or do anything to them other than put decent fuel in them.  For years.  
Agreed.    Every once in a while when I'm at the cigar shop I have Outlaw D give mine a quick cleaning just because, and it works like a champ every time.

Thanks for the input. I know, I know. I'm getting suckered in by a flashy exterior and this isn't going to do a darned thing a Blazer wouldn't. But its so soo... soo shinnnnny :)

I hear ya, I like shiny stuff too! I haven't had any experience with Prometheus, but I'd go for the flint lighter because it's different (and the design looks cool too). 

This is another brand that I've liked and I actually had the silver toned brother of this lighter, but my wife took it and it got lifted at her office. It's less than $100. 

SigloSpadeLighterGoldr_zpsb3015213.jpg