• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Would a Humidipak Calibration kit lie? *UPDATE: Please read*

Danforz

EDIT 3:

I moved the packet away from the window. Its cold and rainy outside and I feel its best to put the item in a more stable area. Since having done so, the hygrometers have returned to 69/70. I'll wait and see where these end up by bedtime/morning.

This just got weird... now one is saying 78% while the adjustable one is saying 74%. ???
Does anyone have any idea whats going on???

EDIT:

Hello again everyone,

Last night I was touched by David's generosity as he offered to replace the inaccurate digital hygrometer free of any charge or effort. I indicated to him that I would take him up on the offer if the hygrometer didn't show any change by the morning (the calibration pack does say that I could leave it for 36 hours). Well guess what, his heart felt thin hygrometer how shows 75% today! I guess it took a little longer but its dead on accurate!

David, thank you for the generosity. I really appreciate you offering the replace the unit, but it doesn't look like that will be necessary.

I'm calibrating two of my digital hygromters. The humidipak calibration kit says its guaranteed at 75.5%.

My Heartfelt Industries hygrometers have been in the pack around 24 hours (the thing recommends 24-36 hours) and both read between 67% and 68%.

Are they both that far off or is the humidipak calibration tool off?

1_G.sized.jpg

2_G.sized.jpg

Salt slurry in a lock and seal tupperware has been the only method that provided (75%) results for me. Something about bags and zip seals that I never felt lead themselves to accuracy.

My .02 cents. Oh... and this was all after your same dilemma with the calibration kit... :whistling:

mac

It's bad, but not as unusual as you might think. I've had reputedly nice units from someplace or other be off 6-7%. Only my Oregon Scientific wireless units have been within 0-2%.

Keep in mind that the humi cal packs are based on chemical principles. If the chemistry is right, it cannot give a false reading. That is, if the salt concentration was mixed correctly at the factory.

Wilkey

The first time I used one it was with a hygrometer that had been salt tested twice and showed that it was low by 2%. When I used the Humidipak I got the same results. So I feel confident that they are accurate.

- Tim

Your Hygrometer's are most likely off, but now at least you know, so just make note of it.

One of your Hygrometer's is adjustable so that one will or should read true once you set it.

I am afraid that the hygrometers are off by that much, I have more trust in the Boveda kits than I have in just about any hygrometer. The good news is the bottom one in the picture is adjustabel so at least you can adjust that one so it displays accurately.

Aye, I've used these kits before and they have proved to be right on. Adjust your hygros with confidence that the test was correct.

Looks like I may have the same exact results as you. I just received my new hygro and cali kit. Mine has been in the bag for about 20 hrs and is reading 66%. Im not sure if the additional 12-15 hrs will make that much of a difference. I actually bought two hygros and wished I would have put both of them in there together. I may add the second one at the end of the test period and compare them.

I think when all is complete, I will also do the test on salt and water in a cap, just to see if I can duplicate the results from the cali kit.

Sorry if this is post jacking.

The kits are accurate if they are fresh. Old ones may be lower as they lose moisture. Double check it with salt slurry.

I'm glad to see they are working fine. I've used the calibration packs before and I always use the full 36 hours and then some just to be sure.

David, that was a great offer to make, replacing the hygro.

If anybody is considering ordering anything from Heartfelt go for it, many people here have ordered from him and have had nothing but good experiences.