• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WOULD YOU SWEAR IN PUBLIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, was I supposed to take this seriously? In that case, I find someone trying to impose his value system more offensive than the very little vulgarity that goes on around here.

Doc.

Fuckin' A.

- Tim

Here for two weeks and trying to change the place already ???

Words are just words, it's how you use them that makes you who you are.

I've got to agree with the consensus here Gramps. "Big Bad Mother F$%#*@" is the name of the cigar, simple as that. We didn't choose the name, and we're not going to ask Fuente to change it.

...and no, I don't swear in public. But I do swear in the right context and situation, such as referring to a cigar by it's proper name.

Sometimes I swear in public. It all depends on if I think it will return the desired result. :cool:

As far as my son hearing a curse word, I have no control over what he hears outside. I do not freak out if he hears it.

It is my job to teach him the alternatives. I live my life with a certain philosophy. Part of that, in the simplest form of explanation,

is that a lot of things only have power over us in the degree that we give them, or fear them.

I have more important things, in the big picture of life, to worry about than if someone uses colorful language.

Agreed, swearing just for the sake of swearing merely casts light on the speaker's ignorance and lack of command of the English language.

I'd just like to say that I routinely make the English language my bitch and I regularly seek out knowledge... so ignorance and lack of command of the English language is not my problem.

How does one use a word in any way *other* than for the sake of using it? There are several words that can fill any particular space in a sentence... so really, any word you choose is used for the sake of filling the space.

There is absolutely nothing special about these words except that they are part of the vernacular and so they were at one point chosen to be course and uncivilized, either that or they were taboo because they referred to bodily functions, parts or human interactions that Victorians didn't like to talk about.

Fecal matter, urine, fornication, sexual intercourse, vagina, female dog, fellatio, mammaries... are all words that are somehow more acceptable than their "swear word" synonyms. It is anyone's prerogative to be offended by anything they wish, but expecting someone to shorten their vocabulary for your sake isn't right.

edit: and for someone to come in here after 2 weeks (the OP) and post something like this is a bit crazy.

... but rather than call it BBMF or BB MF**ker or anything else, we just used that NASTY word in the open.

Is there really a difference between F**ker and Fucker? Really? When you read F**ker, do you read it is "fasteriskasterisker"?

... but rather than call it BBMF or BB MF**ker or anything else, we just used that NASTY word in the open.

Is there really a difference between F**ker and Fucker? Really? When you read F**ker, do you read it is "fasteriskasterisker"?

Tom....can you give me the phonetic version of this one....

Big Bad Mother F$%#*@

Edited to add.....

I just found out that "bastard" is a name for a file! I immediately went out to the garage and threw away every fu%*&ng file I own and I suggest the rest of you do the same :whistling:

You have to be 21+ to join here, correct (I think this is the newer age restriction)? If you are on a 21+ older site, you should be prepared for 21+ material. Smoking cigars is also an adult decision. You have to pick your battles, and picking this particular one on the internet is a tough cookie.

People are going to swear. I do from time to time when I find it appropriate on the forum, but in real life every other word from my mouth is horrific.

If you can deal with that avatars, why can't you deal with the text? Is this a real problem we need to flesh out? I've never seen vulgarity become a problem on CigarPass before, or even thought of it as an issue.

I personally refrain from swearing here unless it's appropriate, out of the respect for others. I don't find it offensive in the least bit when others here swear. I could care less either way in truth. Hell, if you met me, you would probably be surprised at how I talk around friends who I am really comfortable around. I chalk it up to the change of society.

Does this mean that in the spirit of a grand conversation; Souldog24ca won't let me into his place so I can see that super great table he just finished?

Why? I didn't criticize him, just the open use of the word.

I knew the chit was going to hit the fan when I wrote it. It's over.

So, unless you are going to send me an Opus X so I can see what this fuss is about, I'll go buy my own and we can compare notes.

***** I just stopped and re-read CRQuarto's reply" Then it hit me. I was a kid in the '40's and a teenager in the '50's. You got clap from sitting on toilet seats. if you beet your Meet, you were going to get syphilis and you didn't have sex until you were married." Yes, it appears I am definitely OLD SCHOOL. I am not ashamed of this, nor can I change it; and maybe, just maybe I learned another lesson, even though I don't like it. Thanks all for your input. You are never too old to stop learning.

Ed

Ed, you're right, it is a different time. When Superman (Christopher Reeve version) was originally released it received an R rating. I was dumbfounded by this when I stumbled upon an old VHS copy one day. Now the same movie is rated PG.

Personally I'd much rather see a few curse words than some of the stuff I read in the news. To me, that's much more vulgar. Maybe I've been desensitized to it because my GF drops an F-bomb every other sentence, or because of the TV I watch, but the First Ammendment gives us the right to say what we want. To each their own.

Does this mean that in the spirit of a grand conversation; Souldog24ca won't let me into his place so I can see that super great table he just finished?

Of course
you are welcomed over to my place anytime Ed! :laugh: Anyone on CP is, because I firmly believe you can never truly know someone until you've sat down at a table with them and lit a cigar.

I definitely respect your opinion and don't take offense to it, because everyone is entitled to that opinion. ;)

Why? I didn't criticize him, just the open use of the word.

I knew the chit was going to hit the fan when I wrote it. It's over.

So, unless you are going to send me an Opus X so I can see what this fuss is about, I'll go buy my own and we can compare notes.

***** I just stopped and re-read CRQuarto's reply" Then it hit me. I was a kid in the '40's and a teenager in the '50's. You got clap from sitting on toilet seats. if you beet your Meet, you were going to get syphilis and you didn't have sex until you were married." Yes, it appears I am definitely OLD SCHOOL. I am not ashamed of this, nor can I change it; and maybe, just maybe I learned another lesson, even though I don't like it. Thanks all for your input. You are never too old to stop learning.

Ed

This post is pretty funny if you pretend that the asterisks in the bolded portion represent a swear word rather than the indication of an edit--doubly so if you stop to think of how poorly each of the few five-letter swear/vulgar words would work in that context.

My dad gave me Miles Davis' Autobiography when I was 13 because I was interested in jazz and wanted to read it. Now I listen to Sam Kinison, Artie Lange, Lisa Lampanelli, Robin Williams and Chris Rock.

Nothing like a Newbie with a hot button issue to stir up the Monday Sh*t Pile. :sign:

Oh, and everybody knows what word you're saying when you put characters in there. It does nothing to keep the word from entering the readers head. Useless.

If swear words offend you, you'd do well to unplug your modem. It's a fucked up internet out there.

kitten.jpg

If you were in a room full of people who you didn't know, and you had something to say, WOULD YOU YELL IT AT THEM AT FULL VOLUME? Caps lock is the equivalent of yelling at people.

I actually really don't care, but these things happen on the internet. I don't nitpick. Personally I fucking love to swear.

I haven't looked on CP, but don't most forums have the option for a user to enable a profanity filter? Not that I'd want to, because life is full of people who swear. Words are only offensive if you allow them to offend you.

If you were in a room full of people who you didn't know, and you had something to say, WOULD YOU YELL IT AT THEM AT FULL VOLUME? Caps lock is the equivalent of yelling at people.

I actually really don't care, but these things happen on the internet. I don't nitpick. Personally I fucking love to swear.

I haven't looked on CP, but don't most forums have the option for a user to enable a profanity filter? Not that I'd want to, because life is full of people who swear. Words are only offensive if you allow them to offend you.

I think this topic has been well addressed already. No need to unnecessarily cuss just for the sake of it. You're right, most forums have a "profanity filter", however we're not "most forums".

My .02 cents on this topic - Jon did nothing wrong, he didn't name the cigar.

We're all adults, and as such, certain adult words will be OCCASIONALLY tossed around. I've never seen it get out of hand, nor do I anticipate that it will.

Carry on...

Status
Not open for further replies.