• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wrapper won't burn

christ0pher

hispanohablante
Well, this has been happening with alot of my smokes lately. maybe 2/3 or so.

I have my humi at a stable 66-68%. I toast the foot for a good 6-10 seconds, till it starts to char or a little piece of tobacco turns red. then I light it as normal..first 1/2 inch it goes fine..then, everything burns but the wrapper. To fix this, I have to really get it going (draw alot quickly, get it hot, ugh ;\) and let the burn get "bigger" (I guess??) and get to and thru the wrapper. What is the deal?

What kind of cigars are they? I have noticed that if I get overly enthusiastic with the enjoyment of the cigar and take too many drags one after the other, the filler will burn strong and fast, to the point that it doesn't let the outer binder and wrapper catch up to it. The result is uneven burning and sometimes turtle-heading. Try taking it easy, and take long, slowwww drags and savor the smoke. Maybe only take a hit once a minute or so. This helps a lot with my ISOM's but NC's seem less finicky, but still burn erratically if I suck to hard (no comments please). Of course, it could just be that your hygrometer is out of whack, and they are too wet. Do you notice the wrapper start to split the shorter the cigar gets?

Pretty solid advice thus far. bfreebern's comment is something that I've come to appreciate recently. Taking your time lighting usually saves you time re-lighting later on most of the time. Fast draws not only create the problem that kento mentioned, but tend to make your cigar burn hot and you don't get the true flavor and character of the cigar as you normally would if you took your time due to the tar and nicotine buildup that occurs rapidly as a result of puffing hard. If taking long slow draws doesn't work, consider lowering your rph by a few degrees.

SFG75 said:
consider lowering your rph
[snapback]159389[/snapback]​

This is the key. Aim for somewhere in the low 60s and your burn problems should be gone.

Might want to take the cello off too before you fire it up. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, puff slower would be the answer I'd give.

christ0pher said:
Great..Seems I should just take it easy on the poor cigars, eh?

Thanks!

Chris
[snapback]159586[/snapback]​

Yeah, I'd almost bet the house and kids on it. Very easy mistake to do. When I first started, you would've thought I was a chain smoker. I read up moer on letting the cigar relax and taking your time, as well as "sipping" the cigar, and not puffing away as if you are standing outside in twenty degree weather trying to get that nicotine fix. :laugh: ;) You'll practically double your smoking time as well.

Definitely take your time lighting that bad boy up. A good light does wonders for a cigar. Also, test your hygrometer to make sure it's really around 66-68%. There's good advice in this thread. :thumbs: