• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wrappers Cracking

yanksfan

Having a bit of trouble with my humidor. I'm getting some cracks in the wrappers of some of the cigars. It's only a few, but a few too many. Temp is steady at 69-70, and humidity doesn't budge from 70. I did have to move the humidor to the basement last week because temps were getting way too high. Ever since, both temp and humidity have been rock solid. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sounds to me very much like the gars are being over humidified. As the cigars absorb moisture, they swell. As they swell, the wrappers can be damaged.

Be sure to salt test your hygrometer so you know for sure what the "real" humidity is. Being off 2-5 or more points isn't uncommon at all. My guess is that you're well above 70% and with temps over 70F you can find yourself in trouble, quickly. I'd worry about mold, under those conditions....

Honest truth is that I keep my cigars far lower than 70%. 62-65% being my "optimum" storage and smoking range. It is of course personal preference but that's where I prefer my smokes.

Good luck - B.B.S.

What did the numbers plummit to when you moved the stash to the basement? What was the highest temp and humidity that the humidor rose to before it hit the basement? Is there a particular type of wrapper that is splitting or are there multiple types?

What did the numbers plummit to when you moved the stash to the basement? What was the highest temp and humidity that the humidor rose to before it hit the basement? Is there a particular type of wrapper that is splitting or are there multiple types?

seems to be the darker wrappers. temp at highest was 76 and humidity 76.

i have a humidipak for doing the calibration. is this reliable? never done a test

i have a humidipak for doing the calibration. is this reliable? never done a test
....depends on the age of the humidpak, unless it's one of the ones meant for hygro calibration. The salt test is easy to do and dead accurate if done right:

Plagiarized from a post Mark @ Cigarmony (N2Adventure) made with my observations / comments added:

How to Test and Calibrate a Hygrometer:
1. Fill a milk bottle cap or other small container with salt, and
add a few drops of distilled water - NOT enough to dissolve the salt,
just enough to moisten it. You want the slurry to be thick and pasty.

-> I use a shot glass as it's easy to see how much salt / water you have in there.

2. Put the cap inside of an air tight zip lock or plastic container
along with your hygrometer. Then seal the bag or container
(Tupperware works well).

-> I have always "double bagged" my tests in two zip lock bags. That or a mason jar seems to work best.

3. Wait 24 hours, then check the reading on your hygrometer without
opening the bag or container (or quickly open the container and check
if the container is not clear).

-> At least 12 hours, no more than 24

If the reading is 75%, then your hygrometer is accurate and no
adjustment is required.

If the reading is not precisely 75%, then adjust the hygrometer to 75%
by turning the screw or dial on the back. This must be done
immediately after removing from the bag or container, before room
conditions cause the reading to change.

If there is no screw (or dial) to recalibrate your hygrometer, then
you will just have to remember to add or subtract the difference
between the test reading and 75%, in order to determine the actual
humidity level inside of your humidor. For example, if your hygrometer
test reading was 80%, then subtract 5% from the readings you get
inside of your humidor, to determine the actual levels of humidity
(e.g. a reading of 70% inside your humidor equals an actual humidity
level of 65%).

....there you have it. Easy to do and works every time.

But....if you're getting up to 75 / 75 or more with your RH and temps, wrapper splitting is easy to imagine.

I'll say it one more time - RH is a personal preference so use / smoke what you like best.

Good luck - B.B.S.

I have a digital hygrometer and the test is a hygro. its about 4 months since i got it. never been opened. i tried the salt test but never had much luck. always do something wrong i suppose.

I have a digital hygrometer and the test is a hygro. its about 4 months since i got it. never been opened. i tried the salt test but never had much luck. always do something wrong i suppose.
Try using a larger salt container and adding enough water so that you have a clear water layer above a layer of undissolved salt. Like in the photo below. I found that this gives reliable and rock solid results.

HygroCalSaltDish.jpg

Wilkey

I would agree. Anytime I have wrapper split, the culprit is the hudity. I know where I live the basements tend to be pretty humid without a humidifier. Moving it down there may have pushed it over the edge.

I learned a good trick from a wise man called Wilkey (hope you don't mind me using you name in vain Wilkey :laugh:)
Run your cigar under spring water before you smoke. Do this before you cut the cap so the cap is facing downward and
no water will get into the cigar. Obviously be careful that no water gets into the foot.

If you are storing your cigars well, then this will work to stop the wrapper from cracking... IMO. and they taste better...also IMO

Brian

I learned a good trick from a wise man called Wilkey (hope you don't mind me using you name in vain Wilkey :laugh:)
Run your cigar under spring water before you smoke. Do this before you cut the cap so the cap is facing downward and
no water will get into the cigar. Obviously be careful that no water gets into the foot.

If you are storing your cigars well, then this will work to stop the wrapper from cracking... IMO. and they taste better...also IMO

Brian

Explain more about this please.

Sorry for the possible thread hijack.

Seth

Brian

Explain more about this please.

Sorry for the possible thread hijack.

Seth
I'm working on a short tutorial on this. Truly, since I've been doing this, I have never had a wrapper split under any circumstance. I'll explain why a quick dip can be so effective, with pictures too.

Wilkey

I'm working on a short tutorial on this. Truly, since I've been doing this, I have never had a wrapper split under any circumstance. I'll explain why a quick dip can be so effective, with pictures too.

Wilkey

I look forward to reading it

Seth

Thanks to all for your help. Hygrometer was off 4%. Now that I know it's off I can compensate. But now, how do I get the humidity back down??

I would imagine that airing out the humidor and leaving it open would help the humidity problem....if it's still running high, then you can always close (or remove) your humidifier until it's needed again. Things should balance out over time once it's full with cigars since they tend to balance the Rh levels. I'm just a noob though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Open the Humi up for awhile, and put your sticks in a tupperware for a week, that should take care of any issues

Yanksfan,

Glad to hear you go this straight. I always recommend calibrating you hygrometer twice a year (much to the shargrin of others) but this is a good example of why taking the time to calibrate can save your smokes!

The hygrometer is the only visual indicator we have as to what the RH level is at any given time (other than seeing the affects of over or under humidification but by then it's too late).

I would also recommend changing the batteries once a year as low/weak batteries can give false readings as well. (calibrate after changing the batteries).

Hope this helps

~Mark

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wilkey

Seth
First circumcision now baptism. They're cigars Wilkey.

Doc.

Wilkey

Seth
First circumcision now baptism. They're cigars Wilkey.

Doc.

I consider myself pretty sharp with the wit but GOD DAMN Doc your good.