• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Writing dates on the cello with a Sharpie

The Green Monkey

Brap-brap
I was wondering whether it was a bad idea to keep track of aging by writing the date of purchase on the cellophane with a Sharpie. I don't have the space (coolerdor construction is a project on tap for the future, but I need to gradually ease my wife into the idea...) or the cash to be buying by the box right now, so I'm basically resigned to buying individually for the time being.

If I want to set aside sticks for aging, does it make sense to write the date on the cellophane, or will that cause problems? I'm envisioning the ink getting through the cellophane somehow and damaging the wrapper, or else the chemicals in the ink adversely reacting to the environment in my humidor or something along those lines.

It won't be the end of the world if I just have to keep those sticks I intend to age on their own separate shelf in my humidor, but I thought that perhaps writing on the cellophane may prevent some sort of future confusion.

Just write on the folded end, where there is no contact with the wrapper underneath ;)

I've been writing dates on cello for years (as have many others) and I've never had a problem. I do use the thinnest Sharpie though, not the big thick ones.

Another thing to consider is buying blank bands that you can write on or place a label over. For example, I've started using blank bands and then printing out a label a date, where acquired, etc. and taping the label over the blank band. Works a treat.

I also use blank bands to keep track of when I put a cigar in my humidor.

I would be worried about a Sharpie (in particular the thick ones) leaking thru to the cigar.

Perfect. Thanks, all.

I just wanted to confirm that others have done this successfully in the past rather than ignorantly doing something potentially hazardous.

I use small rectangle stickers and a regular pen to mark boxes and individual cigars with dates. Just put the stickers on the cellophane and you don't have to worry about sharpie chemicals. You can find them at walmart or office supply stores.

I use Avery 8867 labels. The database I use to keep track of everything prints the label with the info I want and I stick it on the cello. If a cigar doesn't have cello, I put a blank band on the cigar and put the label on that.

I've gotten some cigars that have the date written on the cello, though, and I've not noticed any ill effects.

Just write on the folded end, where there is no contact with the wrapper underneath ;)
This is what I do, using a very fine tip sharpie. I also let them sit on my desk for an hour or so to finish "outgassing" the solvents used in the ink, before they get put away.

As an experiment, I just opened a box of about 30 Opies that I dated in this manner, and there is absolutely no sharpie smell that can be discerned. Inspection shows the ink doesn't migrate, and no ill effects can be seen or smelled. Seems low to no risk, IMHO.

Regards - B.B.S.

As an experiment, I just opened a box of about 30 Opies that I dated in this manner, and there is absolutely no sharpie smell that can be discerned. Inspection shows the ink doesn't migrate, and no ill effects can be seen or smelled. Seems low to no risk, IMHO.

Regards - B.B.S.

Looks like Wilkey is rubbing off on you Tom. Sounds like something he would do.

You didn't happen to do a Power Point Presentation on that, did you. :sign: :laugh:

Looks like Wilkey is rubbing off on you Tom. Sounds like something he would do.

You didn't happen to do a Power Point Presentation on that, did you. :sign: :laugh:
If any of the wisdom and "scientific method" of the Professor rubs off, I'd consider it a good thing.... :thumbs:

If you need a Power Point presentation to sort this out, I'll be happy to get right on it ya SMART ASS..!!.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

....maybe I should market a "low tox" sharpie, just for this purpose.... :sign:

As an experiment, I just opened a box of about 30 Opies that I dated in this manner, and there is absolutely no sharpie smell that can be discerned.

OH...the scientific smell test....ahahahahha...funny thing is I have done that exact same test with the exact same results.
;)

I write on all my wrappers.
art