• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WYSWYG a little help please

broblues

planning and plotting
I bought a domain and want to develop it myself.  What software is fairly easy to understand and will create a nice looking web page?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

What's the purpose of the domain e-commerce or a blog?

Right now probably blog, but when I retire, possible storefront.

WordPress is your best bet. There are tons of plugins and modules, to allow you to accomplish almost anything for free. www.wordpress.org

If you need help installing/setting up Wordpress, I can help you out.

Can also direct you to a nice blog theme that has e-comm capability in the future, or 10. ;)

-Jimmy

I intend to manufacture custom bird houses to make a few bucks and keep myself busy.  Pictures etc. and blog space would be great.

Thanks Guys.  I will use your suggestions as they are required during this process.

I use and like Joomla. It takes a bit more knowledge than Wordpress, but there are a million plugins. My wife said if you need any advice on the marketing part just pm me. Her parents started and own Birdwatcher's Digest and she and her brothers run it now. She'd be happy to point you in some good directions.

CigarPass ran on Joomla for about 5 years. I recently switched to WordPress due to the enormous support community they have, and thousands of plugins/addin's, and themes available, many that are free. Joomla is also very good, I just found it difficult to manage, definitely not as user friendly as WordPress.  Also, it was more challenging to skin/customize.  Either CMS is a good choice, just gotta find the one that fits your needs best. 

My personal opinion, from someone who's used both, is go with WordPress if you plan on having an active blog.  Blogging in Joomla is not as easy.  To give you an idea of what WordPress can look like, check out our homepage.

If you need help, let me know!

As I have time, I've been reading the WordPress info and watching the tutorials. Rod, thanks!