• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Xi Cutter going dull

SamGuss

About 5 months ago I bought my Xi2 Cutter - burgundy handle.

I haven't really cut that many of cigars with it. Between myself and allowing others to use it at little herf's with my friends I estimate it may have cut as many as 100 cigars at the aboslute max.

Is this normal for the Xi cutters to get dull at this point? I mean this baby is leaving some bad uneven cuts - to the point that I am resolved that it "may" cut one or two more cigars, depending on how fast I can get to the tobacanist this week and buy a $3 "V" cutter.

Is there a way to sharpen the cutter?

I do know if it is the normal, I am rather disappointed. I never expected the cutter to dull so fast and expected it to last me a year. I mean my cheap plastic cutters last about half as long and at $3-$4 a pop I save money compared to buying another Xi cutter, however much I may have liked it.

Anyway any suggestions, tips, pointing out that I had too high of expectations, etc. would be appreciated - thanks.

Sam

Thanks I will check it out! Hopefully they will do it without a reciept because I got mine through a group purchase.

Sam

Someone recently told me the Xi cutters were self-sharpening. I guess that's not true?

Sam when you send yours in they will just send you a new one. :thumbs:

Wow. I've had my Xi for 6 months now. I've cut I would guess a few less then 100 sticks with it and it still cuts like a dream. Best cutter I've ever used by far.

lucasbuck said:
I've cut I would guess a few less then 100 sticks with it and it still cuts like a dream.
I can attest to that! :D :D :D

Hmmmm, I am just starting to use a brand new pair I just bought! I should get my first pair sharpened. Happened to me in about 8 months (did proly cut quite a few gars with it though)

Thanks for the link.

Phil

Thanks everyone. Glad they stand behind their product like this. I will box it up and ship it out later this week then. :thumbs:

Sam

SamGuss said:
Thanks everyone. Glad they stand behind their product like this. I will box it up and ship it out later this week then. :thumbs:

Sam
There may be others, but Xikar is the only cutter manufacturer I know of that stands by their product to this degree. I will say that several purchasers, including me, have complained that the redwood veneer tends to come loose on that particular model. If that happens, just send it back and Xikar will take care of it (most likely by sending you a new one). Or, you can do like Leebo and just glue it back on yourself. :)

Bacchus

My Xikar is at least a year old, maybe more... Has cut alot more than 100 cigars I can tell you that. and its not dull at all. BUT its good to know they'd sharpen it for me... Cool.

I have never used a Xikar cutter. I bought JoeM a Titanium Model but didn't use it before I sent it to him. I have a Zino Cutter that cost me $40 in '96 and it still works perfect believe it or not. ???

I have a few of them and they work wonderful. Next to my Paul Gramarian, best cutters around, especially for the price. I have not had any dulling problems, but I knew about the free sharpening and will use it. I give them :thumbs:

Kinda thread jacking here-but...

Like I said, my Xikar Xi with blue handles have never dulled- at least not that I can tell- if the cigar is not too dry, it cuts perfectly without squishing it. The best way to use it (a friend showed me this), put the Xikar flat on a table, then put the cigar tip in the hole (no jokes here please), and cut. Takes off just enough and usually gets a perfectly straight cut- freehand I usually end up with a little lop-sided cut ???

My colibri oscar lighter (also blue to match the cutter of course), has the 2 hole punches on the bottom, medium and large holes I suppose- the larger one (the one I use most of the time when I punch (though I prefer a cut vs. a punch hole), get soooo dull so fast its rediculous. AND I BARELY USE IT! I've had the lighter for about 14 months g/t, and I've sharpened the barrel of the punch at least 2-3 times by taking it apart- and using one my wife's emory boards (she hates that).

Then its sharp again for a little while anyway. (sorry for the long boring post, but now I feel better)

:thumbs: Toaster

Toaster said:
Kinda thread jacking here-but...

Like I said, my Xikar Xi with blue handles have never dulled- at least not that I can tell- if the cigar is not too dry, it cuts perfectly without squishing it. The best way to use it (a friend showed me this), put the Xikar flat on a table, then put the cigar tip in the hole (no jokes here please), and cut. Takes off just enough and usually gets a perfectly straight cut- freehand I usually end up with a little lop-sided cut ???

My colibri oscar lighter (also blue to match the cutter of course), has the 2 hole punches on the bottom, medium and large holes I suppose- the larger one (the one I use most of the time when I punch (though I prefer a cut vs. a punch hole), get soooo dull so fast its rediculous. AND I BARELY USE IT! I've had the lighter for about 14 months g/t, and I've sharpened the barrel of the punch at least 2-3 times by taking it apart- and using one my wife's emory boards (she hates that).

Then its sharp again for a little while anyway. (sorry for the long boring post, but now I feel better)

:thumbs: Toaster
:sign: He said put the tip in the hole!!!!! Thats funny!!!!! :sign:

Sounds like SD trying on condoms at his QC job for the big horse company !!! :0 :p :D

Been using my buddy's Xi for the last year- works like a champ.

Any suggestions on what's the best place to pick up a Xi cutter for a good price?