• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Xicar humidity jar

joebeef

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I put a couple in one of my humidors to try them out and I was interested in re-hydrating information. Do you spray it when the crystals turn white like my beads do or do the crystals shrink when they dry out? I have read that they expand 100 time when they are wet so I was confused about when to re-hydrate them. Thanks for any information on this subject.

regards !

Xikar uses gel crystals. They don't really turn white so much as just shrink. Xikar recommends using a PG solution to top them off as needed. Personally I just use distilled as the propylene glycol does not evaporate.

In addition, my 2 oz Xicar jar has a "fill" line that shows when the gel crystals are depleted enough to need recharging.

In addition, my 2 oz Xicar jar has a "fill" line that shows when the gel crystals are depleted enough to need recharging.

thanks for that info, how much shrinking do they do before you refil them? I will check and see if mine has a line on it.

I'd have to go and look at it again, but I think that it is about one-third to halfway down the jar. It's actually quite substantial, and not just a little bit of, ummm... shrinkage.

Once the the crystals drop below the fill line a bit add glycol to the fill line. They will absorb it and you. Are good to go!

There is a fill line on the jar. These old eyes could'nt see it at first. I needed to put on the old glasses. Thanks for pointing that out!