• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Xikar and TSA/Airport Security?

SyrLinus

Virtualized Security Geek
Hopefully this is the right forum but if not, apologies.

I recently purchased an Xikar X3 Spectra. I'd really like to not put it in my checked luggage when travelling (since we know how well luggage is getting around these days, particularly at my home airport of JFK). I've contemplated putting it into my carry-on bag and think it won't violate the rules but wanted to find out if anyone does travel alot and if they carry it with them on the plane.

I really don't want to be checked at security, only to have them force me to chuck it or something. :(

I travel with my cutter in my carry-on and have yet to be stopped for it. If you are stopped they have a stand next to security that allows you to ship it to yourself............good luck!

I travel with my cutter in my carry-on and have yet to be stopped for it. If you are stopped they have a stand next to security that allows you to ship it to yourself............good luck!

Awesome to hear and thanks. :)

While traveling from my Vegas trip 2 years ago I had a huge ass hassle when it came to my Xikar cutter i picked up from Casa Fuente. After being detained for 45 minutes, they FINALLY let me board with it. TSA agents have an IQ of about a 3 year old so just be careful.

I have traveled numerous times to Las Vegas, LA, San Diego, Hilo - HI, Kona - HI, Tulsa, Witchita, Little Rock, and Quad Cities with my Xikar cutter in my carry on bags and have never had a problem with it. :thumbs:

MrPeat, hopefully that's the rare time and not the norm.

I'm very heartened by the number of people that don't have an issue with TSA when going through with their cutters. I wonder if it's a question of it being solid metal versus something with plastic or wood.

While traveling from my Vegas trip 2 years ago I had a huge ass hassle when it came to my Xikar cutter i picked up from Casa Fuente. After being detained for 45 minutes, they FINALLY let me board with it. TSA agents have an IQ of about a 3 year old so just be careful.

Not only is this true, but I dont think the TSA had and Xikar in mind when they were thinking about cigar cutters. I am not saying they shouldnt be, but few outside the cigar world know what these are.

While you are correct they ARE allowed, you are opening yourself up to added hassles and delays at the airport.

Being a frequent traveler for work, the biggest issues with the TSA (aside from what Mr Peat said above) is the inconsistencies at each check point.

If you happen to get an over zealous screener, or newer screener, they could make your life difficult. Again, you could prove your self correect, even carry the print out from the TSA, but again I refer you to Mr Peat's post above.

Are you going for such a long time that you needed it? I too was stopped several years ago becasue of my Xikar, and while though allowed to keep it, it did draw a crowd of TSA Agents.

I travel with a newer (so the balde is sharp) plastic cheap cutter. Or have you thought about clipping the few cigars before you leave.

This topic has been discussed before, so you can do a search and see what others have said.

Just my $.02

TSA Agents are faced with a challenge every day. One day it's a shaving razor, the next day it's a toenail clipper. I think it has more to do with who is doing the checking and how bad their day is going.

I travel with an Xikar Xi2 made of nylon fiberglass composite for over 4 years now and haven't been detained once. I figure the non-metalic body gives off less of an x-ray imprint as not to raise suspicion. I even take a bullet punch and tape it to the slide out handle frame under my suitcase liner all the time.

Hope that helps.

Not only is this true, but I dont think the TSA had and Xikar in mind when they were thinking about cigar cutters. I am not saying they shouldnt be, but few outside the cigar world know what these are.

While you are correct they ARE allowed, you are opening yourself up to added hassles and delays at the airport.

Being a frequent traveler for work, the biggest issues with the TSA (aside from what Mr Peat said above) is the inconsistencies at each check point.

If you happen to get an over zealous screener, or newer screener, they could make your life difficult. Again, you could prove your self correect, even carry the print out from the TSA, but again I refer you to Mr Peat's post above.

Are you going for such a long time that you needed it? I too was stopped several years ago becasue of my Xikar, and while though allowed to keep it, it did draw a crowd of TSA Agents.

I travel with a newer (so the balde is sharp) plastic cheap cutter. Or have you thought about clipping the few cigars before you leave.

This topic has been discussed before, so you can do a search and see what others have said.

Just my $.02

I have used plastic cigar cutters in the past but part of why I got this (I got one for home and one for on the road) was so I could have a reliable cutter (I find some of the plastic ones, even when new, questionable). I don't like cutting the cigars beforehand because I have no guarantees how much time I will have -- if any -- to enjoy a smoke. I travel regularly (1-4 weeks out of a month) and so far my TSA experience has been pretty decent.

And thank you everyone for the input. It has been very helpful for me and hopefully, will be helpful for others who travel a lot.

Just flew commercial down and back up the west coast with my Xikar in my laptop bag / briefcase. Not a blink coming or going.

As mentioned "cigar cutters" are specifically listed on the TSA's "allowed" materials list. If you're extra paranoid, print that out and pack it in with the cutter.

I thought this was interesting though, you may be able to bring your cutter but you can't even keep a lighter in your checked baggage:

Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned. No No

I thought this was interesting though, you may be able to bring your cutter but you can't even keep a lighter in your checked baggage:

Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned. No No

Niko,

I have taken my torch lighter in checked baggage with no issues. I take a regular old butane lighter for when there is a layover long enough to escape outside and smoke.

Also, like Ironfeller, err, ironpeddler...........the old guy, I too have always traveled with my hole punch but right in the bag, not tapped to the inside wall of the secret compartment hidden beneath a layer of old crusty undies......... :sign:

I do agree that a grumpy agent can spoil your day regardless of a cutter or no cutter...........makes no difference.

One other suggestion.

Bullet cutter on the key chain.

I used to do this until I lost mine.

Never had an issue with that.

One other suggestion.

Bullet cutter on the key chain.

I used to do this until I lost mine.

Never had an issue with that.

this is what i do, even works in the court houses. They confiscated my cutter one day at jury duty so the next day i put my punch on my keys and it passed no problem.

The last couple flights I've been on, I put my travel humidor, cigar cutter(cheapo one) and zippo (yes I know but its all I got!) in my carry on and never had a problem in the states. I put the cutter and lighter in a old ziplock cigar baggie, along with a copy of the TSA's regulations that states I can. Never had an issue.

Well almost never....on my way back to detroit from amsterdam, the amsterdam security would not let me bring my zippo unless I removed all the cotton from the inside of it and the flint. Only problem I have had to date. Of course I have no idea where to get that damn cotton or if you can just use regular stuff...but lucky for me I had a broken zippo at home to steal the cotton back out of hehe.

Well, I still have my cutter (although they were a tad puzzled when looking at the X-Ray but that could have been over my Blackberry, which is in an Otter case). I usually put a box of Davidoff matches in my checked luggage or check at the hotel if they have boxed matches. Sometimes pub-like restaurants will have those as well. :)

Lots of good stuff.

Looks like you already made the trip, but I'll say this for the benefit of anyone who comes across this during a search in the future. The couple of times I flew with my Xikar Xi3, I printed out the page from the TSA website, and ran a hilighter across the line that said I can fly with it in my carry on. I folded up that page and stuck it in the traveldor with the cutter.

Only once did they decide to open up my bag and look at the cutter. This one particular screener even told me that I could not fly with it, and they were going to remove it from the bag. That was until I took the page out and showed them they were wrong.

So, for most travelers, 1 piece of paper folded up and stuck in a carry on bag won't make too much of a difference, and might save you from 30, 45, 60 minutes of unnecessary searching.