• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Xikar hygro accuracy VS. Wal-Mart hygro. accuracy

Alright... I put the Hygro in 24 hrs. ago and it's reading 72%.

Only three off isn't that bad. Especially since I don't pull my hair out over the RH being off by one or two.

I guess I lucked up cause I got in indoor/outdoor hygro from Wally-world in my coolerdor, and it's spot on 65% (with 65% beads). Salt tested perfect.

I would agree here! My $6 Wal-mart shabanga banga is perfect on the dot accurate.

Just put my ACURITE Wal-Mart hygrometer in my Boveda calibration bag; 75%. :D

Ok... My second Wal Mart hygro came in at 68% after 24 hours.... Not bad considering these were the first two hygros I bought a couple weeks after getting my humi up and running.

I have two Wal-Mart meters. One tested 73% and the other 72% in a 24 hr salt test. Testing is the way to go no matter what you buy. You never know what you will end up with. Better safe than sorry.

Has anyone ever found a reason to use a salt set-up over a Boveda 75.5 or is it just a matter of using what's easily at hand?

With the Bovida calibration kit can I but more than one hygro in the bag and calibrate up to 3 in there?

Anyone tried this?

I calibrated both of my Xikars in the Humidipak that I had. No issues.

This brings us back to the basics, salt testing / proper calibratrion is necessary regardless of the cost of the Hygro.

FWIW My Xikar when salt tested came in at 67% or -8% when tested. Green Button resets it and all has been perfect since.

Actually...with the Bovida calibration kit, it only takes 24 hours. If the Xikar hygro read 72% instead of the expected 75%...you just adjust it 3 clicks clockwise so that it reads 75%. After making the adjustment, you can recheck it using the salt test again. I've got two Hygroset II's which I believe are the exact same hygrometer as the Xikar, except that they both came with Bovida calibration kits. I've only had mine a couple of weeks, but I couldn't imagine using anything else. :thumbs:

But don't the directions say to leave it in for 48-72 hours or something?

I remember testing my Wal-Mart hygrometer which was -3% after 24 hours, but after 48 hours it was on the dot.

Given that you conducted the test correctly, the walmart one is right. I've been using the walmart ones for quite some time now. The Xikar has a calibration button. Calibrate to get it to read 75%

-Gianni-

I've always had lousy and inconsistant luck with bags for the salt test. I recommend at least "double bagging" the test environment. Better still is a big mason jar / old mayo jar. They really seal and produce the most consistant, repeatable measurments I've seen.