• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Xikar Products

Cigar FF

Last year, I received my first Xikar lighter as a gift. It takes at least 3-4 tries before I get a flame. Im not sure if this is normal but I have other lighters that light on my first attempt. I happen to love the sturdiness and feel of this lighter. I more recently learned that they have an unconditional exchange policy which I think is pretty cool. I don't know the protocol yet but will be looking into it today.

Looking at other products they sell, they do tend to carry a bigger price tag than what some products could be purchased for. Quality and the warranty comes to mind for the price.

My questions are.. Do you feel the quality of Xikar products are worth the price? Is the unconditional warranty worth spending the money on their products to you?

I would like to start moving towards some more quality items instead of the cheap stuff that got me started. Being that the holidays and my birthday are nearing, I figured I could recommend a few gift ideas to the fam.

If Xikar is not your choice, who else do you recommend for quality products and price points? Does anyone else have unconditional warranties?

My primary lighter is still a Blazer Little Buddy.

Is the Xikar a torch?  What kind of fluid do you use?  If I recall correctly, anything less than triple (maybe quad?) refined fluid has a tendency to gunk up the jets and cause lighting troubles.  I used to have a single torch that I got as a freebie with a box of Cohibas when I was in Germany.  I could put absolutely anything in that fooker and it would ignite like a champ every time.  I bet that it would have run on Aqua Net if I was in a bind.  TSA bastards took it out of my suitcase when I moved, though.  Left me a nice little note, those fuggers.   I've had more than one "nice" lighter refuse to continue doing its job after being filled with low quality fluid.  Wish I found this place sooner!

I haven't gotten a new go-to lighter yet, so I've just been using whatever Bic my wife has laying out on the lanai table when I sit down.  I can't even find my trusty green Zippo since I moved...

XIKAR has great warranties for their products.  Everyone has their favorites, mine is XIKAR.

kann said:
 Is the Xikar a torch?  What kind of fluid do you use?
Yes, it is a double flame torch, the ELX model I believe. This time around, I bought Colibri butane called, Premium Butane (http://www.colibri.com/smoking-accessories/colibri-butane-refill/butane-300ml-two-pack.html). It says it's 99.999% pure. I opted for the more expensive one as I thought it was better. Not sure if I got hosed or not...lol

If I recall correctly, anything less than triple (maybe quad?) refined fluid has a tendency to gunk up the jets and cause lighting troubles.  I used to have a single torch that I got as a freebie with a box of Cohibas when I was in Germany.  I could put absolutely anything in that fooker and it would ignite like a champ every time.  I bet that it would have run on Aqua Net if I was in a bind.  TSA bastards took it out of my suitcase when I moved, though.  Left me a nice little note, those fuggers.   I've had more than one "nice" lighter refuse to continue doing its job after being filled with low quality fluid.  Wish I found this place sooner!

Good to know for the future. I never realized there was that much of a difference or these lighters could be that finiky. That certainly sucks to hear that the TSA got your good stuff. They can find a lighter, but they can't find a gun or a bomb. Go figure.
Broblues, have you had to send anything back yet? $39.99 for a punch seems pricey but I guess the warranty makes it worthwhile?

I love nice things but I like things that work when I need them to more. Best lighter I personally have found is not pretty but works every time is my Jet Line triple flame.

You can mail in a Xikar but the easiest way to warranty is to simply bring it in to a retailer that sells Xikar, they will switch it out for you.

Couple of tricks for a lighter:
1) Hold lighter at an angle when lighting so that ash from the cigar doesn't fall into the jets.
2) If the jets do clog up, use an air can and blow directly into each jet.
3) Each time before refilling make sure to purge the air. Hold the lighter upside down and use a pen or screwdriver to depress the metal cylinder inside the refill nozzle. Also fill the lighter by holding both the lighter and Butane can upside down.
4) If the ignition coil is bent up or to the side, try to make bend it back downwards slightly and towards the center.

If none of those work, just get it replaced for a new one.

Cigar FF said:

Is the Xikar a torch?  What kind of fluid do you use?
Yes, it is a double flame torch, the ELX model I believe. This time around, I bought Colibri butane called, Premium Butane (http://www.colibri.com/smoking-accessories/colibri-butane-refill/butane-300ml-two-pack.html). It says it's 99.999% pure. I opted for the more expensive one as I thought it was better. Not sure if I got hosed or not...lol

If I recall correctly, anything less than triple (maybe quad?) refined fluid has a tendency to gunk up the jets and cause lighting troubles.  I used to have a single torch that I got as a freebie with a box of Cohibas when I was in Germany.  I could put absolutely anything in that fooker and it would ignite like a champ every time.  I bet that it would have run on Aqua Net if I was in a bind.  TSA bastards took it out of my suitcase when I moved, though.  Left me a nice little note, those fuggers.   I've had more than one "nice" lighter refuse to continue doing its job after being filled with low quality fluid.  Wish I found this place sooner!

Good to know for the future. I never realized there was that much of a difference or these lighters could be that finiky. That certainly sucks to hear that the TSA got your good stuff. They can find a lighter, but they can't find a gun or a bomb. Go figure.
Broblues, have you had to send anything back yet? $39.99 for a punch seems pricey but I guess the warranty makes it worthwhile?

Yes I have.  My product was replaced with a new one.  No questions asked.  I am a very satisfied customer. :thumbs:

I have not personally had to send any of my Xikar stuff back.  There are a few people from my local B&M that have had theirs die, and the B&M swapped them out on the spot no questions asked.

With the lifetime warranty and quality, I don't have a problem spending a few extra dollars.

Does Xikar do the free cutter sharpening?  I seem to recall that they did if you send it back in.  I've had my Xi for a few years now, and even though I routinely scrub the blades with alcohol once a month or so, it is still not making as clean of a cut as it used to.  

They'll sharpen or replace it. I take mine into the local b&m, they fix me right up for free.

Right on.  As soon as I get my damn vehicle here and I can get downtown...

Looks like it's time to start browsing their website. Thank you for the feedback and education. 

Love Xikar and their warranty.

Like with most things, you get what you pay for. That free Xikar lighter in the CI bundle is cheaply made. That Xi3 Carbon Fiver cutter with the $100 MsRP price tag? Looks and feels very nice. Both have a stellar warranty that the company truly stands behind, but there are still varying levels of quality to be found, and the higher end stuff does feel higher end.

StogieNinja said:
Love Xikar and their warranty.

Like with most things, you get what you pay for. That free Xikar lighter in the CI bundle is cheaply made. That Xi3 Carbon Fiver cutter with the $100 MsRP price tag? Looks and feels very nice. Both have a stellar warranty that the company truly stands behind, but there are still varying levels of quality to be found, and the higher end stuff does feel higher end.
Good point, some of the cheaper cutters need replacing often, I've found that the xi1 are the most solid. Lighter wise it's a crap shoot if you ask me, they're all more or less equally prone to wear.

I've got a xicar tabletop light, I'm sure there are others which are equivalent....

However, I'm sold on the product...works very well.

And very worth the money IMO