• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

XX seal code on Habanos boxes

alpi57

Little tid bit. I wondered if you all are aware of the XX seal code on the Habanos boxes. On the Cuban government seal on the boxes if you have noticed there is a series of letters, usually two followed by numbers. Always look for the letters starting with XX or XY. XX are assigned to the boxes that has been rechecked for quality and has superior quality as for color match and the roll. Another sign of this is that you will always see the XX seal on top of the original seal. Sometimes on the back of the same box you will see an ink seal of "REVISADO" in addition.

I researched this extensively, talking to a few LCDH managers in Havana and with LLerena, La Corona factory's number two, and they all eluded to the fact, with a smile I might add, that it is an insider secret and not too many people know about it.

So far I have had nothing but great boxes with that seal. Furthermore, I have only seen the XY on the Cohiba Sublimes, Cohiba Doble Coronas, Partagas Reservas # 4 and the Millenium Cohiba 2000 Piramides Ceramic jar which are of even higher quality.

If you happen to be in a LCDH look for that and compare it with a non XX box and see what you think. We have also asked Chris Wolters in Cologne to send us only XX boxes of anything we get when we shop with him and so far he has complied. We were extremely happy with those boxes. He wasn't even aware of it and kept asking us why we wanted those. We didn't tell.

Anybody else with additional info?

Awesome info. Thanks for that helpful hint.

Thanks for sharing the information. That is most helpful as I know that every so often, someone posts to ask what the XX codes mean.

Would you also please comment on the "controllado" designation?

Thanks,
Wilkey

Great info. I've been reading about these specially rechecked boxes. Apparently, the designation can be very, very helpful, especially if trying to select a box of cigars without the best history/dubious quality history, such as 2001 Cohiba Lanceros and Paratgas Lusi's.

Thanks for sharing.

"Revisado means that the box was opened and inspected. Cuba does this every couple of years to ensure the old boxes are still good. Nothing to worry about - completely legit. You might also find two nail holes" -- (from the Manager of Caracol in Havana, Cuba)

Little tid bit. I wondered if you all are aware of the XX seal code on the Habanos boxes. On the Cuban government seal on the boxes if you have noticed there is a series of letters, usually two followed by numbers. Always look for the letters starting with XX or XY. XX are assigned to the boxes that has been rechecked for quality and has superior quality as for color match and the roll. Another sign of this is that you will always see the XX seal on top of the original seal. Sometimes on the back of the same box you will see an ink seal of "REVISADO" in addition.

I researched this extensively, talking to a few LCDH managers in Havana and with LLerena, La Corona factory's number two, and they all eluded to the fact, with a smile I might add, that it is an insider secret and not too many people know about it.

So far I have had nothing but great boxes with that seal. Furthermore, I have only seen the XY on the Cohiba Sublimes, Cohiba Doble Coronas, Partagas Reservas # 4 and the Millenium Cohiba 2000 Piramides Ceramic jar which are of even higher quality.

If you happen to be in a LCDH look for that and compare it with a non XX box and see what you think. We have also asked Chris Wolters in Cologne to send us only XX boxes of anything we get when we shop with him and so far he has complied. We were extremely happy with those boxes. He wasn't even aware of it and kept asking us why we wanted those. We didn't tell.

Great info.

Please note the fourms rule on sources. Just a friendly heads-up!

Great info.

Please note the fourms rule on sources. Just a friendly heads-up!

Got ya.

Thanks for sharing the information. That is most helpful as I know that every so often, someone posts to ask what the XX codes mean.

Thanks,
Wilkey

I didn't know about "controlado" so I learned something today. I emailed my source in Havana and here is what I learned. Say a distributer gets a batch of boxes that he thinks they have quality problems such as bad wrapper or draw, etc. He asks for a check and that is when these boxes of the particular batch get opened and get checked for overall quality. If they pass they get a "controlado" seal with the date and get shipped back. However they don't receive the XX seal. They just go back with the original seal. And they are just as good as any.

Also went further, and called Taboada and he concurred and mentioned that draw problems which is a roller issue( i.e. inexperience) was the most common problem and that was before the advent of their draw testing vacuum machines.
Nowadays you don't see that too often and if there is he attributed it to improper storage. Makes sense to me.

Does this help?

Excellent information.

I had a cple xx boxes.

now to compare them to the GL ones I have of the same vitola.

I was under the impression that the letters meant the series that they were in. According to year and month made. Good to know that they actually mean something more important.

XX are assigned to the boxes that has been rechecked for quality and has superior quality as for color match and the roll.

A little misleading yes XX and XY have been re-inspected and passed but it is no guarantee they won't have some tight rolls or have inferior tobacco inside. The are mainly given a visual inspection for quality control not an endorsement that they are somehow superior to other cigars.

Thanks,
Wilkey

I didn't know about "controlado" so I learned something today. I emailed my source in Havana and here is what I learned. Say a distributer gets a batch of boxes that he thinks they have quality problems such as bad wrapper or draw, etc. He asks for a check and that is when these boxes of the particular batch get opened and get checked for overall quality. If they pass they get a "controlado" seal with the date and get shipped back. However they don't receive the XX seal. They just go back with the original seal. And they are just as good as any.

Also went further, and called Taboada and he concurred and mentioned that draw problems which is a roller issue( i.e. inexperience) was the most common problem and that was before the advent of their draw testing vacuum machines.
Nowadays you don't see that too often and if there is he attributed it to improper storage. Makes sense to me.

Does this help?

Fantastic, Jon. That is great information! Thanks for dogging this one down.

Wilkey

XX are assigned to the boxes that has been rechecked for quality and has superior quality as for color match and the roll.

A little misleading yes XX and XY have been re-inspected and passed but it is no guarantee they won't have some tight rolls or have inferior tobacco inside. The are mainly given a visual inspection for quality control not an endorsement that they are somehow superior to other cigars.

Very good point. There is no way to do a draw test and if a significant percentage of the box is plugged or supertight, there might not be any good way to tell.

Wilkey

Haven't had a bad XX box yet. If you have plugged ones in these boxes you should look into storage issues first.

Do you post on the hcf board (habanocigarfamily)? ???

What's your screen name there? ???

Very good point. There is no way to do a draw test and if a significant percentage of the box is plugged or supertight, there might not be any good way to tell.

Wilkey

This isnt true whatsoever. They can draw test each and every cigar that is rolled. Before the wrapper goes on. But most just dont give a rats ass since you have to have the machine to draw test and then people than can operate it. It doesnt take a rocket scientist do to it. If you want, I will hunt down a picture of a draw test machine if I absolutely have to prove my point they can and do exist. :thumbs:

Wilkey

This isnt true whatsoever. They can draw test each and every cigar that is rolled. Before the wrapper goes on. But most just dont give a rats ass since you have to have the machine to draw test and then people than can operate it. It doesnt take a rocket scientist do to it. If you want, I will hunt down a picture of a draw test machine if I absolutely have to prove my point they can and do exist. :thumbs:

Machine - what machine? I was told that each factory has a number of
fat mama's who work in shifts. They have two jobs and alternate, one day
they are on thigh rolling, the next doing their blow jobs. ??? :laugh:

Brian

Img2005-5.jpg

Granted this isnt Cuba, but no one can say they cant draw test. :D :D

great point Loren. Now the only question is why don't the Cuban's draw test ten out of every hundred boxes. With all the plugs Cuban cigars have been noted for in the past few years (granted that this was a few years back) you'd think they'd better insure the quality of their smokes.

Wilkey

Loren,

I think you might have missed my point. I'm acquainted with the Drawmaster but my comment was specifically in reference to finished cigars that are inspected in Havana (revisado) or at a distributor (controllado). Once the wrapper and cap are on. Draw testing can't be done by machine, at least not that I'm aware of.

The latest news out of Cuba is that Habanos is draw testing 100% of cigars produced.

Wilkey