• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Year old Nestor Miranda Lancero green?

aragornelessar86

I smoked my son's birthday cigar tonight, a Nestor Miranda Lancero from a box I bought about 14 months ago, and it tasted far greener today than the one I smoked last year. Predominant, almost overpowering flavors of singed grass clippings and sour tannins. Anyone else have this experience with these cigars around this age?

Well brother, you don't give us much to work with there. Offhand I'd ask how was it stored ( temp & humidity ). Tell us more and I think you will see more of us chime in.

No dis on your cigars, but I'm 99% sure what you are describing is tobacco that wasn't aged and fermented properly before rolling.  I've run into it a couple of times over the years, usually in bundle or lower priced sticks.

First off the issue has nothing to do with the aging or fermentation of the tobacco. The cigars are made at My Father Cigar Factory in Esteli, Nicaragua and undergo the proper aging and fermentation. Also if the tobacco was young, you sat on it for another 14 months which it was not. Lastly, when you burn the cigar you would notice bad fermentation on how thick the carbon line is on the burn. A wrapper that doesn't burn well, or with a very thick carbon line is usually, but not always from fermentation issues. Another is over-humidification.

There are a lot of factors to the cigar tasting green, and the most common is something as simple as what you ate prior to smoking. I've personally smoked a lot of cigars by different people that tasted off because of what I ate. I would invite you to try another one and see if they still taste off for you. One of my favorite cigars to age, even before I came to Miami Cigar & Company was the Nestor Miranda Lancero. Other issues could be the storing of cigars, but I don't think that is an issue as I am sure you care for your cigars in a humidor at a proper humidity and temperature.

If the cigar still taste off to you, let me know.

Regards,
Barry Stein
Miami Cigar & Company

I'm thinking maybe high humidity is the answer here. I use Heartfelt beads for humidity control and the humidity stays a very consistent 65-67%. However, these cigars are stored in their original box inside my humidor, so they don't get anywhere near the air circulation that the rest of my sticks do. I did notice that it wanted to go out on me if I didn't puff on it pretty frequently, more so than most lanceros I smoke. I smoke a lot of lanceros, so I know that they're a different animal than say a robusto, but this was even beyond that. I'll try letting the next one dry box for a couple hours before smoking it.