• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Years to avoid

Spartagas

I was considering acquiring some boxes with age on them, but don't know which years to avoid. I know there were some bad ones. Can anyone help? I was thinking specifically of the period from 1995-2005.

I tried a search on this and came up with no results.

Spartagas said:
I was considering acquiring some boxes with age on them, but don't know which years to avoid. I know there were some bad ones. Can anyone help? I was thinking specifically of the period from 1995-2005.

I tried a search on this and came up with no results.
[snapback]209549[/snapback]​

From what I understand, 1999-2003 were not the best years. Don't know about 1995-1997, but the 1998s I have had have been fantastic. 2004s and 2005s are going to age VERY nicely if initial quality and taste are any indication. I'd get 1998s if possible, if not, stock up on 2004s before they are gone.

Be careful with '99 and '00. A lot of plugged cigars. There are still a lot of '97-'98's available usually for a small premium.

I think it is difficult to make a sweeping generalization about all brands/vitolas during any particular time period. There are some good cigars and not so good/bad cigars every year.

It's not as easy as saying "what years should I avoid" - I have had excellent cigars from '91, '96, '99, '00, and '01, specifically. I have also had bad or plugged cigars from these years and other years as well.

The best thing to do is try as many as you can, and gather as much info as you can from the forums and the FOG's.

Another thing to remember is that cigars are "alive", and change over time. A cigar that isn't so great this year may be good the next year or the year after that.

The bad years mainly happened to the more popular brands and small rg cigars...IMHO

Between 1999 and 2001 are bad years to purchase. loosley rolled,too tight and some awful looking shades of cigar wrappers.

I think this was due to when Habanos expanded thier factories into outer provinces and hired/trained new rollers.I recall hoping i would not recieve any cigars being rolled from Santi Spiritus - Just crap...I got a batch of PD4"S that had a red wrapper-reminded me of a red dirt that is used to extract bauxite for aluminium.

After 2002 cuban cigars quailty and craftmanship was back up to standard as rollers got more experienced.
Personally I think 2003 and 2004 production is exceptional. :rolleyes:

'99-'00 are touchy. The H2000 wrapper which was appiled in those years is really bad, IMO. It's a thick wrapper that does not burn well. If you have a chance to view the cigars first you can determine what to buy. I've had some VERY good cigars from '99-'00, but have also had some of the worst from those years. Around '97 they started to change some blends also, so you will find things being a bit different from '96 and before, in some vitolas. If you have a trusted vendor you should be o.k. But, it never hurts to ask first and also inquire about a return policy if you're not happy.

Great thread since I was just thinking about ordering a box of some slightly aged cigars and I was about to order some BBF from 2000. I think I'll stay away especially considering the experience I've had with badly plugged BBFs in the past.

Perhaps I can get some help from you all with this box code of Punch Punch:

NNSC TLP01

Looks to me like it is a 1997 from the Lazaro Pena factory, but I'm a bit confused by the 01 at the end of the code. Can anyone shed some light on this? Also, anyone have any experience with the Punch from 97? Buy or pass?

Thanks all.

Normally, 2001 is viewed as a terrible year from which to select the smaller ring cigars as the construction problems and almost impossible draw produced far more frustration and disapointment than smoking enjoyment..... So many vendors found themselves with a lot of stock from '00 and '01 and unable to move it.... The solution...the sent the cigars back to be "Re-Tested" for these problems - and those that passed were gathered into cigar boxes that were stamped with the "REVISADO" and month of re-test in addition to the normal box code and date code when these cigars were originally released.

The Cohiba Lancero is a great example of this and the cigars I am now enjoying from '01 are some of the tastiest and "best" Cohibas I have had the pleasure of smoking in a few years...These are just an awesome cigar and the poor reputation of this 2001 vitola in the marketplace has proven to be a great windfall for me as these have been left nicely aging at the vendors expense and shelf space just waiting to be re-tested and now - greatly enjoyed.

i agree with doc...get a revisa box and youll be amazed...as for other un-checked 00 and 01's its hit or miss ive had some real nice cigars from both those yr.s.

You need to judge cigars from every year on a box to box basis. There have been some incredibly great cigars from 1999,00 and 01, as there have been just as many pieces of crap. Cuban construction has always been inconsistent. I remember running into lousy construction on 1988 RyJ Celetial Finos.

I would ask your tobacconist to personally check the cigars you may want to buy, and also ask him if he is willing to guarantee your satisfaction. I recently inquired about some Upmann Lonsdales from 2000, my tobacconist agreed there were tons of problems construction wise with these, but refused to guarantee my satisfaction, so I passed on them.