• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Yes Moki, I'm keeping this one...

The high-end Sennheiser earbuds are absolutely incredible, Khari. Ever had a chance to use them?

Their noise cancelling and HD series are incredible for home theater or gaming.

I am just floored by almost all of Sennheisers products.

You guys might remember a while back that I had a iPod Nano (gen 2) 2 gig for sale or trade for cigars...

I ended up hooking brother Double D with it and he fell in love with it. And watching him with it, I started to regret my decision to part with it (Moki told me I was a fool :p )

Well due to my job I received another "free" (had to buy a server for my company) Nano a week ago. This time, a Nano (gen 3) 4 gig and I decided to keep it.

Wow what a difference compared to my "older" 2 gig ZEN V mp3 player (which I gave to my oldest daughter).

Told ya. ;)

Congrats on the new iPod. There are two headphones I recommend, depending on your budget:

V-moda "Vibe" -- yes, they look trendy -- but they actually sound excellent, and the woven fabric headphone wires are infinitely better than plastic.

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro -- expensive, but absolutely amazing in terms of sound separation and reproduction

The high-end Sennheiser earbuds are absolutely incredible, Khari. Ever had a chance to use them?

Their noise cancelling and HD series are incredible for home theater or gaming.

I am just floored by almost all of Sennheisers products.

Nope. I'm in the market for a new pair, too. I got the Bang & Olufsens and I'm not crazy about them.

By the way, anyone know if ITunes has high birate MP3's? I'm not 100% sure, as I don't use the service, but I'd be willing to guess not.

Congrats on your new iPod Shawn! :thumbs: Have fun filling it!

iTunes Plus was introduced last year and is running at a bitrate of 256Kbps (versus the regular 128Kbps of standard). Songs encoded at the high rate have a tiny grey box with a white cross through it under the price column when you choose a album.

I'm a bit of a purist and have my trusty 60GB 4th Gen (iPhoto) loaded with Apple Lossless at home. On the go, my nano (4GB 1st Gen) gets the AAC treatment (256Kbps variable rate) paired with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro. The UE's are perfect for tuning out the great outdoors and filling the space between your ears with delicious sound.

Most of my songs are at 128, none are lower.

I'm hard of hearing anyway from military service and road construction (I always wore ear protection but being around those noise levels almost every day for close to 20 years is going to damage your hearing regardless).

I'm just happy to have songs I love, on call, in my pocket when ever and where ever I go.

Those V-moda look to be in my price range Moki, I guess that I might upgrade from my old Denon ACH350s :)

I'm kind of what you would consider an "audiophile", and I really am disgusted by MP3 players (for the most part).

Have you tried out any other encoding tecniques besides MP3? MP3 is easy, that's why it's popular. It's not the best, I agree. You can get players that'll do FLAC files or Apple Lossless, as someone else mentioned. I'd be curious to hear what you think of them.

---John Holmes...

I can agree if you would add "in this case" to your statement. Dolby, dbx, dolby digital, and DTS were all compression/expansion standards that did improve sound quality. Only recently has uncompressed multichannel become standardized. With the storage ability available there is no reason to listen to compressed music unless that is a last resort or the radio. JMHO, YMMV.

You may as well have said that audio compression leads to decreased sound quality. Of course it does, but improved sound quality is not the purpose of compression.

Good point Ray. I meant lossy compression methods such as MP3, AAC, Ogg vorbis, etc.

You guys might remember a while back that I had a iPod Nano (gen 2) 2 gig for sale or trade for cigars...

I ended up hooking brother Double D with it and he fell in love with it. And watching him with it, I started to regret my decision to part with it (Moki told me I was a fool :p )

Well due to my job I received another "free" (had to buy a server for my company) Nano a week ago. This time, a Nano (gen 3) 4 gig and I decided to keep it.

Wow what a difference compared to my "older" 2 gig ZEN V mp3 player (which I gave to my oldest daughter).

Told ya. ;)

Congrats on the new iPod. There are two headphones I recommend, depending on your budget:

V-moda "Vibe" -- yes, they look trendy -- but they actually sound excellent, and the woven fabric headphone wires are infinitely better than plastic.

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro -- expensive, but absolutely amazing in terms of sound separation and reproduction

Good advice on those UE Super.fi 5 Pros. I have a pair and absolutely love them.

I ended up getting the Bose on ear Triport headphones, great sound, blocks out outside noise (tractor), and is MUCH more comfortable and better sound than any in ear i've run across, and i've had Shure, Bose, and some others. Downloading the music from itunes i have no qualms on the quality.

Smart move keeping the Ipod this time, although it's a slippery slope. I got a 4 gig when I bought my Mariner(2005). I sold that one to a friend and bought the 60 gig Photo. We used that one at the store until about two months ago. I had a 30 gig video for my car which was loaded with Spongebob and Fosters videos for the kids. I got the wife a 30 for her car. A couple of months ago I got a deal on the 160 gig at Best Buy($299, open box, missing the head phones and the docking cable). The 60 had started to work a little flaky(weird album track shuffling in song shuffle mode). I transfered all of the tracks from the 60 to the 160 using Pod +Rescue software(best transfer software that I have found). I keep the 60 as a backup for the store so when I add new music to the 160 the guys have something to listen to. I got to liking the 160 that I bought a second one just for my car. I'm going to use the 30 gig just for my comedy stuff. So at the moment I have 2 160s, a 60, and 2 30s. I love them, I use the Apple Lossless, I buy my music from itunes or transfer it from cds. Sound quality has always been fantastic.

I had a non-Apple MP3 that I would use on the plane whenever there were screaming kids nearby until it was stolen from my checked computer bag while flying Delta. 10 - 12 weeks until a claim can be processed !!