• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Your Cigar Ritual/s

Macion Grey

the Libertine
Reaction score
What is your usual cigar ritual? How do you cut/punch the cap? Where do you sit/stand/[insert activity here]? Do you remove the band? If so, do you keep them, put them in your cigar journal, leave them in the ashtray etc?

Do you write notes/take pictures? Alone, or with friends? Public or private? In your specially designed smoking room, or by the pool?

What is your favourite drink pairing? A robust coffee, or a bold red?

What makes your cigar smoking experience your own? Maybe you like it different everytime?

My typical Ritual is this: Sit outside, on my front porch, near the birdbath. I examine the stick for about a minute, testing the prelight aromas etc. I cut the cap with a double guillotine, and light with a single flame butane lighter. I prefer smoking without distractions (but I used to love the other way around). I keep the band on until the ash is close, so the glue isn't as stubborn and I can save it for my cigar journal. I don't take pictures. I write my notes when I sit down at my desk with the journal.

I purge the smoke about once every 5 puffs, to ensure that if I nub it, the flavours will be as clean as possible. I play the ash game, and never tap it off. I try and take as much time as possible with my cigars, so there are no quick smokes in the car etc for me. Sometimes my wife will sit with me (away from the smoke of course) and we will have a nice conversation.

If I do drink with my cigars, it will be a strong plunger coffee. I used to enjoy a good wine with my cigars when I could still smoke in Cigar Lounges, but that era has past.

All in all, if I haven't got the time to enjoy it, I will not bother.

How about you?

Sorry for the repost.

When I lived in my tiny flat, I used to take a drive up to a certain spot overlooking the city and the ocean, and catch the sunset with a stogie in hand. That was pretty awesome, and relaxing. The car smelt horrible afterwards though. Everybody complained.

Once I've made my selection of what to smoke, I draw a pentagram in chicken's blood and stand in the middle and do a little jig for luck.... LOL JK

I guess I'm pretty straight forward with my rituals.

Pick, clip and burn... and that's all she wrote!

I grab what I want cut it go to my truck light it and then I am off for my hour drive to work.

I set up the window fan and ashtray, then pull out my cutter and lighter.
I usually sit at my desk, which is a couple feet from the window, and light up just after I open a textbook or website to do some homework.
Afterwards, to prevent the stale cigar smell, I either flush or bury everything in the trash.

I try not to tap off, but after a couple of incidents of ashing on my pants and laptop, I tap off every inch-and-a-half, to-two inches.
I usually purge when I ash.
While I am smoking, I never eat anything. However, I usually drink soda, water, ice tea, lemonade etc. -really, I prefer anything cold, converse to warm or hot, like coffee, or tea.

The number of cigars I smoke depends on the amount of work I want to get through, I rarely go over more than two cigars a night.
After finishing my work, I empty the ashtray, but leave the window fan in and run it most of the night, taking it out midday next day.
In addition, I spray some sort of oder remover like Ozium or Fabreeze everywhere.

The only other I place I smoke is in my car, however, after purchasing a window fan, that has become a rare occurrence. But on a long drive, I put the fan on so it is blowing at my feet, and crack the back windows abit while I am lit. I tap off my ash in my car's ashtray about every two inches to keep my pants clean.
As for putting it out, I try to time it with a gas stop or bathroom break, so as I can simply throw the nub out instead of letting it fester in my car, or take up space in my tiny trash receptacle. This also gives me time to dust off, wash my hands, and buy some kind of drink.
Afterwards, I roll with all windows cracked, and after I get to my destination, I spray down the car with an odor remover, then lock it up.

What is your usual cigar ritual?

I will usually select my cigar for the evening and go outside on my patio and sit down. I check the cigar for any flaws in the construction, usually smell it, lick the wrapper, then I cut it. More often than not, since I have a double blade cutter, I'll use that to cut my cigars. I have since bought a v-cutter, and I like that also. I generally read when I smoke outside, and currently I am reading Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. Sometimes my wife will sit with me when I invite her, but more often than not I am outside by myself after a long day because she recognizes that it is MY TIME to wind down. I have a glass of cold cranberry juice, which does me just fine. I sometimes have coffee, but it depends on the temperature and overall feel of the evening.

As far as removing the band, I usally will if I am halfway through the smoke, and know it's a good one. If not, I smoke up to the band, then leave it. I save the bands in an old cigar box as a "collection," my wife likes to look at all the different designs, plus it's nice to have a record. I've thought of putting an "X" in the inside of the band so I remember which ones I like and don't like, but I am pretty good about remembering that.

Lately i've been sitting in my office w/ a fan in the window, and watching the 24 dvd's (on season 2). I never usually know what i plan to smoke until i dig into the coolidors, lately it's been isoms, padrons, and Opus / Anejo. Use a Palio cutter, usually a crooked cut :blush: then i stand on one leg, sing Dixie, then fart 3 times while turning in circles. Drink of choice is either a blend of Ice Tea i make, or diet Coke. Back when i did drink alcohol, i did notice that it scotch / bourbons killed my taste buds some. Ash usually falls on me, and i usually cuss at the cigar, but the cigar doesn't take it personally, it knows i cuss it in a loving way.

Gator, you can smoke alot of cigars going through the 24 series. That is a lot of TV watchin'... :laugh:

Me, I sit in front of my computer, and clip my cigar with a SAK. Depending on the time of day, pour a cup of coffee or a glass of single malt scotch, and then read what you neurotic bastids do to complicate and pervert a simple thing like smoke a cigar.

Doc.

Not really anything special, I now live in an apartment, so I walk to the end of the garages, fight off the coyotes, and enjoy my smoke. I use a Cuban Crafters perfect cutter, then either use my three flame butane lighter, or sometimes the single flame butane. I don't feel comfortable having any alchy in a public parking lot, so I usually don't have a drink with my cigar. I take the band off towards the end of my smoke, then put it in a ziploc bag containing all but my first two smokes.

I choose a cigar from one of my Humi's, pop the cap with my old knife, inspect the wrapper and test the prelight draw. Then I lift my computer table outside onto the deck, grab an Ice cold beer from the fridge, log into CP chat and light up.
:D

My general ritual is this:

See if anyone wants to smoke, I normally either smoke alone, or with one other person.

Pick a cigar, cut the cap, take a few pre-light draws before I head outside. I go outside, to the courtyard of my dorm. I then plug in my ipod to some little speakers, open my soda or water, and have a seat at the same table every time, with an ash tray next to it, then light up.

That's about it. I sit there, normally listening to Cafe Del Mar saying hello to residents who walk by, chatting with my residents that come over to say hi, etc.

I save my bands and toss them in a zip lock bag, and I only take pictures if I'm doing a review. I do, however, hve a list hanging on my wall of "Things to try" and "Things I liked" and "Boxes to buy." If I write it on "Things I like" I wont turn one down, but I'll probably only buy it again if I put a star next to the name.

One thing that sucks about Philly in the winter is that I hardly get to do my usual ritual.... sitting outside in the sun!

When it's nice out I will usually sit out on my front covered patio and relax with a drink... either a capuccino or and iced tea. Usually I'll just sit and look at my neighborhood and let my mind wander, other times I'll have my laptop with me and surf the web.

When it's too cold outside I'll crack open the windows in my office room, cue up a playist in iTunes and either surf the web or lately I've been loving smoking while playing Euchre on yahoo games. That's an addicting game!

As for the smoking itself I usually punch with my Xikar but ever since I got my Palio cutter I've been using that. I use a colibri single torch flame... which thankfully still functions properly! *fingers crossed*

I leave the band on until about halfway done the smoke then I'll take it off in case I want to smoke it down further. I keep no notes, save no bands... I just enjoy myself. Even with as many cigars as there are available out there, the ones I want to remember... I definitely will ;)

First I clean up my balcony, being up on the third floor we get a lot of dead leaves and other crap up there and living about 500 meter away from a Tank (M1A1 type tank) trail means a lot of dust as well.

I then look through my music and bar to choose what I want to listen to and drink with my cigar.

I then get my accessories out, pour myself a drink and light up.

I will usually turn the space heater on in the garage 2 hours before smoking. Pick my smoke and wet the outside with distilled water to prevent splitting. Pour a glass of scotch (glennfiddich), set up my laptop, ashtray and light up. I have been watching The Wire. I breezed through season 1 and now into season 2. Great show, it is right up there with 24, it is filling the void of the canceled 24 season nicely.

If I'm not having a smoke out with friends, I maximize my relaxation when I smoke.

First I choose my entertainment. TV, Movie, TV season (Usually Scrubs...God help me I can't stop watching over and over...and over.)

Then, off to the cabinet. 2 cubes of ice in a short glass, and warm bourbon over it, straight.

Once I'm seated comfortably in the recliner I reach over to the humidor for a stick. I wet the end of it and punch. A couple of test pulls and I light it, with cedar strips if I can, if not, a triple flame butane.

From there, I lean back, and sip and puff as long as I can make it last, sometimes reaching for another if the mood strikes me. I leave my ring on until the heat gets close, and try to slide it off clean, but if I'm worried it's gonne tear the wrapper, it's a goner. I usually smoke to the nub, cause my regular smokes are ones I savor until the end.

My palete and tastes in smokes may be new, but I have found the perfect way to enjoy what I'm smoking at the moment.
pimpig5.gif

I tend to smoke as a social event, so I grab one or three fellow smokers and head outside. I cut the cap with my el cheapo and toast the foot usually with a generic butane lighter. All of the bands are saved for some as of yet undecided project. Somehow, I know they will make some nice cigar art. haha

I tend to smoke slower than most friends, so I tend to select smaller cigars than they do. This leaves few opportunities to light up a big Churchill or double corona.

There are a lot of small differences, but I am pleased to see so many people taking their time with it.

lol at Doc. I guess I was making it sound more complicated than it is. Such is the power of words, haha. I try and keep it as simple as possible.

I go into the kitchen & get my drink(usually diet Dr.Pepper because I am on call thru the week) I then go into my den & turn on the computer.I open the Humi & select my cigar.I log into the forum & clip my smoke.I then take a prelite taste & toast my cigar with either a match or torch lighter.I lite up slowly being careful not to scorch the foot.I then sit back & read the posts for the day & spend an hour or so enjoying my smoke & posting on the board.

My general ritual..... Puff puff pass... to myself.... then relax... then repeat.... nothing else can beat that, no matter where you are.... Cuz that's what cigar smoking is all about..... enjoying yourself.