• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Your Favorite Music in 20 Years?

Maggs44

When I parked my car in my parking space in my underground space, I sat listening to the end of Crossroads by Cream; volumn blasting, wondering what someone might think if they saw (and heard) a 50 year old rocking to some really great music. My apt. complex has alot of older (65-80 y/o) people and they must think Im some crazy young whiper snapper.

But it got me to a thinking... will I still be rocking to Cream, Hendrix, Led Zep when Im 75.. sitting in my car, jamiming to Voodoo Chile, the CD player (or whatever they have then) up to full blast because my hearing is just about gone?? Im sure I will.

In 40-50 years, will teenagers be playing Emenim and thinking, "boy, they just don't make music like that anymore"? They be sitting in their wheelchair singing, "The bi*%h is this and your momma that"?

Just a note... look out for Tinnitus. I have a buzzing in both ears 24/7/365 :)

I know I'll still be listening to my favorite heavy metal bands at full blast when I;m in my 80's as well 'caus I'll probably be darn near deaf :p

AC DC
Judas Priest
Kiss
Thin Lizzy
Def Leppard

And some other "tamer" rock and rollers like:

Cheap Trick
Ramones

And one of my favorite Boston bands from the 80's:

THE FOOLS :thumbs:

I listen to even heavier music then I listened to when I was in high school. Some people just never grow up :p

coventrycat86 said:
I know I'll still be listening to my favorite heavy metal bands at full blast when I;m in my 80's as well 'caus I'll probably be darn near deaf :p

AC DC
Judas Priest
Kiss
Thin Lizzy
Def Leppard
I like Kiss, AC/DC too.... but I forgot one of my favs in my post, not too heavy, but will listen to till I die... Pink Floyd.

Maybe get a nice kick a**, knock you on your butt, make you dizzy cigar (instead of that funny stuff I smoked in the 70's) and then see you on the dark side of the moon...

Just a different kind of "high".

I'm 46 years old and all I listen to is hard rock that I grew up with in the 70s. ACDC, Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull, Stones. People that get to ride in the back of my patrol car freak out on this old cod cop jammin on hard rock. :D

I actually really got into hard rock about 5 years ago from listening to a hard rock radio station in my car evereday driving to work.
Before that rarely ever listened to it, only if i heard a song i recognized would i leave it at that station. :)

Neil Young
Buffalo Springfield
CSNY
CCR
Allman Bros.
Clapton
Hendrix
SRV
Pink Floyd
The Animals
Cream
Led Zepplin
Rolling Stones
The Who
and so on and so on.....

And I was born in '76 :thumbs:

coventrycat86 said:
And some other "tamer" rock and rollers like:

Ramones
Ramones Tame? I saw them twice at CBGBs in the late 70's and tame was not that word that I would use. 2 minute sonic bullets for almost 2 hours.

I have almost 2500 albums (those black vinyl things) and over 1000 CDs and I listen to them still but I don't think I've bought 100 in the last 10 years. 1964 to 1994 is good enough music for me.

Ok, for those who grew up with heavy metal hair bands, a question. Quit Riot covered Cum on feel the noize & Mama were all crazy now. What early 70's band did they cover? No fair looking it up. Bonus if you can name the lead singer.

I saw em in like 73 with Brownsvile Station (Smokin in the boys room). Brownsvile was great, but ***** were so loud (and I love it loud), I had to leave early. I think they had the sound system for a big arena, but unfortunatly, we were in a 1000 seat theater.

Ok.. now. Best and worst concert?

Ok, top 3 best concerts.
1. Stones/Eagles
2. Mott the Hoople
3. Van Morrison (was 3rd row center where the MSO plays, great sound)

Worst.
See above.

Maggs44 said:
Ok.. now. Best and worst concert?

Ok, top 3 best concerts.
1. Stones/Eagles
2. Mott the Hoople
3. Van Morrison (was 3rd row center where the MSO plays, great sound)

Worst.
See above.
Best
1. Neil Young Solo @ The Theater at Masdison Square Garden
2. Allman Bros @ Radio City (Front Row Seats)
3. Eric Clapton & Elton John @ Shea Stadium

4. Kid Rock @ Hammerstein Ballroom ( I'm not a fan but he put on an AMAZING show)

Worst
1. David Bowie & Nine Inch Nails @ Continental Airlines Arena
2. Black Crows @ Beacon Theater
3. Steve Miller Band @ Jones Beach Theater

I think Slade did Cum on Feel the Noise, originally... don't recall the singer.....

I'm sure I'll still be listening to the same thing I listen to now and the stuff I listened to when I was younger. But, I'm also sure I'll have discovered other stuff between now and then. There's not one genre of music that I can't find something I like to listen to, in it. My favorite bands/musicians run the gamet and probably always will.

Well I would have to say

1. Rage against the Machine
2. Deftones
3. Pink Floyd
4. 311
5. System of a Down
6. Bjork
7. Portishead
8. Sneaker Pimps

I would listen to these till the day I die. :thumbs:

Forgot about the concert question....

Seen lots of good ones. I think Sammy Hagar during the Standing Hampton era was probably the loudest, or maybe Motley Crew (I think I saw them during the Dr. Feelgood tour). All the "hair bands" came through town at one time or another. I really don't remember much about those shows though. Too wasted to remember. LOL! I saw Aerosmith from the third or fourth row once. That rocked! One band I saw recently that I really don't care for on the radio, but loved the live show, was Sugar Ray. Very energetic and entertaining. Lately though, I've enjoyed seeing acts at smaller clubs. Last time I was out visiting Devin he took me to a small place to see Tab Benoit. That was a really great time, especially since he's one of my favorite musicians at this time. Man, could go one forever with this. I love music more than cigars!!

Best Shows are

1. Rage against the Machine
2. 311
3. Fear Factory

worst are

1. Garbage
2. Tori Amos
3. Slipknot

-- Being an teenager thru all the hairbands and HATING the whole grunge thing that came out of nowhere I can see the bands AC/DC, Metallica, Motley Crue, Guns n Roses, and Ozzy Osbourne easily lasting the test of time for another decade or so just like I enjoy Clapton, Led Zepplin, Deep Purple, and Pink Floyd.

-- Some current bands such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nickelback, and Rob Zombie have the same potential. Oh, and if you dont think Eminem can hold on for any amount of time, I suggest you listen to 'Without Me' in the unedited version. Any band/singer/musician who can visualize a message that good can last. Its the same trait that gives all these artists staying power. A simple, catchy, clear message.

-- Garbage does NOT SUCK! :p (the band.. not the trash you leave on the corner.)

-- If Aerosmith can have a top 10 single when their entire band is over 50... they wont stop until the Rolling Stones are in the grave. :D :sign:

I'll be listening to this guy:

zipzaprap1.jpg

Hmmmm, despite the aparent length of this list, I really don't listen to much from the last 20 years.....???

In no particular order:
Future Solund of London
The Tractors
Terrance Blanchard
Harry Connick Jr.
Canadian Brass
Empire Brass
Cranberries
Dr. John
Bo Dollis
Manhattan Transfer
Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Rebirth Brass Band
New Orleans Nightcrawlers
Youngblood Brass Band
Sam Pilafian
Diana Krall
Christian McBride
Ray Brown
Alan Trudel
Regina Carter
Allison Krauss
Arturo Sandoval
Wynton Marsalis
Wycliffe Grodon
Maynard Ferguesson
Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra
The great orchestras/symphonies/phillharmonics of our time: Chicago, New York, Phillie, Boston Pops, London, Royal (UK), Philharmonia (UK), etc.

and I'm sure I'm leaving some obvious people off ???

BEST CONCERTS/PERFORMANCES:
1. Diana Krall in early 1997 before anyone knew who the hell she was. It was at a 60-75 seat venue here in Charlotte. She did two shows back-toback and I went to both. :love:
2. Sitting with my girlfriend in a forgettable resturant, with forgettable food, a horrible waiter, in the unforgettable Charleston, with an amazing Dizieland Jazz band crammed in a corner of the room playing MY request for Basin Street Blues :love:
3. Last Month at the Dirty Dozen Brass Band concert. Absolutley AMAZING energy!!! I saw them back in about 99 and it was a tame concert with about 60-70 folks. I saw it in the same venue back in March with about 350 folks there. Simply AWESOME! :0
4. Manhattan Transfer back in ~92 or 93 in a PACKED large venue with all these old folks singing along and going crazy to an acapella group :)
5. Front row, center seats at a performance of the Flying Dutchman
6. In case you can't tell, I'm rather infatuated with New Orleans music and culture. I had made plans in the past 7 years to go "definitely" about 5 times with my mom. When I met my girldfriend we decided to just go ourselves. We went for Christmans/my birthday two years ago. The entire trip was so satisfying and filled with music from street performers, Preservation Hall, Olympia Brass, etc., it should count as a performance.

WORST:
1. a couple months ago at a Charlotte Phillharmonic concert. We were at a symphonic concert, and they mic-ed it in MONO on three loudspeakers :angry: Plus we have A$$holes talking extremely loudly during the entire thing. I'm sure they thought they were doing us a favor because they only talked during the music :lookup: :angry: I was pissed about that one.
2. Hootie and the Blowfish - nuff said
3. David Sanborn - I think this is the only time I've ever left during a set instead of waiting for intermission.

Cheers,
Dixie

Matt R said:
I love music more than cigars!!
AMEN!

I could have all the money, nicest cars, 12 walkins filled with aged ISOMs, women hangin all over me, and a lifetime supply of potted meat...but without music I'd be absolutely miserable.

This reminds me of a letter I completly forgot to write to the editors of Stereophile Magazine:

A guy was complaining that he'd NEVER listen to digitally compressed music. He said he'd rather listen to nothing than be forced to live with the lower-quality reproduction. What a numbnut (I never get to use that term)! :angry:

I'd rather sit in Baghdad and listen to a wind-up mono tape deck, with a blown speaker that scratched, popped, and hissed, playing a mix tape from 1980's radio than go with no music at all. That guy is more into his toys that what they play. Of course I do agree with him that LP's a superior to CD's but you don't see my Camry with an in-dash turntable :p

Gimme a break!

Cheers,
Dixie

In 20 years, I'll still be listening to Barbershop.
Vocal Majority
Texas Millionaires ;)
Accoustix
Gas House Gang
NightLife
Platinum
4 Voices
Michigan Jake
Suntones
Buffalo Bills
Riptide
Dealers Choice
Keepsake

and any other chorus/quartet that blows my socks off.

Also Broadway musicals like Phantom, Les Mis, Chicago, West Side Story, Oklahoma, Evita..

Cirque du Soleil

Stevie Ray Vaughn

George Strait

anything that has at least (1) good thing musically.

I guess that definitely leaves out rap.