• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Your Kitchen

Gonz

Ultra Runner
What appliances would make up your dream kitchen? Or are you at a point in life where you've already completed your dream kitchen?

As far as myself, well of course I could give the classic "I'd like an all Viking kitchen". But that's somewhat generic isn't it? However I did get to check out a Viking Professional model cooktop a few years ago and it really impressed me.

I would like side by side Subzero fridge and freezers, a 48" Viking gas cooktop, a 30" double wall oven plus warming drawer (probably Viking but that's not set in stone), a Marvel dual zone built in wine fridge and a Bosch dishwasher. I'll also need a 52" Dacor grill as well.

What about you?

We were looking at the Sub Zeros and while they were nice they are horribly inefficient. For that type of cash they should barely use any electricity at all.

I want a kitchen that looks like this:

kitchen1.jpg

With a functioning hearth and all the modern appliances hidden.

Doc.

Back when we built our house a couple of years ago, Viking and SubZero were both expensive names, with great brand recognition and poor preformance records.

A professional style cooktop is definately a must.

While I'm all for the look and function of a professional style cooktop, it comes with issues and costs that might overwhelm the "look". Probably not many of us would ever use a pro cooktop to it's true potential. And with a pro cooktop you will need to have adequate ventilation, which by itself can be quite spendy. But it's still my dream!

My dream kitchen would be outside.
A gourmet kitchen setup under a canopy outside.
Ideally next to a pool overlooking the ocean.
Combination gas/charcoal grill with rotisserie, deep fryer, pizza oven, 6 burner cooktop, smoker and a fridge for food and cold beverages.
Some fresh herbs growing near by and a super hot prep chef!

-Rob

Unless you are a professional chief or slept at a Holiday Inn Express they are all about the hype. Kinda like the guy that looks like Tiger Woods on the links and shoots a solid 120 :laugh:

We redid our kitchen 3 years ago and got the best appliances I could afford for the size kitchen we had. We purchased all the appliances from one vendor and received a rebate from the manufacturer, the store we purchased them from was also very good. They held the appliances at their warehouse and delivered them when we needed them at no cost to us! Spend money on the quality of the cabinets and finishes of the kitchen.

Big mistake people make is put in a vent for the stove/cook top that is too small. If you go for the professional cooktop make sure you buy the appropriate hood for it. Some also require an extinguisher capability built in if the stove burners is so rated.

A be all, end all kitchen in a house that the rest of the rooms are so so is a recipe for re-sell disaster!

I want a kitchen that looks like this:

kitchen1.jpg

With a functioning hearth and all the modern appliances hidden.

Doc.

The maid comes with it? Then I'm all in.

On the Viking Sub-Zero stuff, overrated, by a ton (Viking ovens are very shallow depth and suffer from reliability issues). You want a great dependable kitchen, goto a commercial supply store, you'll get all stainless, dependable stuff that's supposed to handle 100's of meals a night. Definitely a farm house sink, real big like a bath tub. Warming drawers, 2 dishwashers. Wine fridge. Bamboo counters (environmentally friendly and great for knives to cut on). Pot faucet over stove. And of course the second kitchen outside on my imaginary lanai where I also have a custom built smoker that can fit whole pigs (yeah, that's intentionally plural).

We don't have a "gourmet" kitchen by a long shot, but we did re-do the kitchen a couple of years ago. Full slab granite counters and a composite sink in black were the big cosmetic changes, and we needed to replace an old oven / microwave combo. We wanted to go with a double oven, a new stove insert, and a "range hood" microwave.

Went downtown to the "hoity-toity" appliance shop and looked at a bunch of the high end brands. They had an oven that was $7K and one next to it, very similar, for well under $1K. I asked him "what are the major differences between these" sort of hoping he'd show me why the expensive oven was worth the cash (which I was prepared to spend). From that point on he treated me like I was some sort of uneducated buffoon. My wife and I quickly got tired of his BS and we left.

Ended up at Sears. Lots of brands. Great service. Ended up with Kenmore appliances and couldn't be happier. We purchased an over / under oven, a cooktop and a range hood microwave, all in black. Work fantastically, look great, easy to clean, just great appliances, overall. The coolest microwave I've ever seen; you can actually cook with this thing. Easy to recommend; I"d do it again, tomorrow.

Cheers - B.B.S.

While not our dream kitchen by any means, we're going to be buying appliances to remodel the kitchen of a house we just bought. This house is going to be a temporary place for us until we to know the area (we just moved to this town) and get our other houses sold. So this will be an experiment in both restraint and functionality. No need to drop big money on appliances for a cheap, small house, however I do want to be comfortable and not dreading the time spent in that kitchen. I'll post later tonight after I know what we got!

edit to add: I think we did OK. As it turns out I played college hockey with the sales guy, and he got us a great deal. Frigidaire Professional electric range with warming drawer/tiny oven, Fridgidaire Professional side by side fridge, matching microhood and a Bosch dishwasher (nice one with the hidden controls). Oh yeah, and 4 years interest free!

For our last couple appliance purchases, we've shopped at Sears. Not even the "good" mall Sears, I'm talking about the Scratch-n-Dent Outlet Sears. They have a ton of inventory, a lot of it with dents/scratches on the side or in the back. We have managed to get some real nice stuff for a good price with the dents/scratches where they don't show.

While my wife was out of town a couple of years ago, I replaced our 30+ year old stove, with a combination gas (cooktop) and electric oven. It's great and we'll never go back to an electric cooktop.

Good 6 burner cook top with plenty of BTUs, and at least 2 ovens, with convection preferably.

The kitchen is coming along nicely. The old cabinets are out, most of the new ones are in and I'm working on getting the new countertop installed. Once most of the major work is done (hopefully this weekend) I'll post some pics of our progress. Next up will be the flooring (travertine tile I believe) then we've got a ton of work to do on the walls including plaster repair. Also we're going to be installing some more/new lighting in the ceiling.

Yes converting to Natural Gas and all Stainless. I love a six burner also but more counter space is good also. I think I'll take over the dining room and make a big one. :cool:

LaCornue165.jpg

La Cornue Chateau 165

45K and you can own one too! :laugh: As the dollar keeps losing ground to the euro, the damn thing keeps getting even MORE expensive. :angry:

These are custom hand made in France. When you order one, they assign one craftsman to build your range from start to finish, they are only produced to order and require a 50% downpayment before they'll even start working on it. It takes about six months for them to finish building and ship it to you. You can have it trimmed in copper, polished brass, stainless steel or any combination you want. They offer 25 different colors and custom stenciling too. This one weighs about 700 pounds and is ~ five and a half feet wide (165 cm). One oven is electric and the other is gas. There's a reason for that (don't ask me, I barely know how to make a bowl of cold cereal :laugh: ) something to do with electric being ideal for baking and gas for whatever..... :rolleyes: The customer also customizes the cooktop to his or her liking.

They are true works of art and I think they're the finest ranges in the world.

My sweetie is a professional chef and has been talking about one of these for over 30 years. She's already got hers all spec'd out (antique floral with polished brass and the L1 cooktop) and all we have to do is order it. :0

She's also got her eye on a $4,500.00 Subzero, nothing but the best.... :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and 20K worth of cabinets and granite and marble counter tops.... of course! :thumbs:

I wonder what the most expensive floor possible is? DO NOT tell her or I'll kill ya! :laugh:

Hey Doc, if we order it from the dealer in New Hampshire, we save about three grand in sales tax since you guys don't have one up there! :laugh:

Hey Gonz, check out THIS LINK :laugh:

I told ya the La Cornue is the best of the best! :thumbs: The ultimate in snobbery for your kitchen range. :D

My wife wants a cast iron AGA cooker. I have to remind her that we live in Tucson and not England...radiant heating is not desirable here.

Hey Gonz, check out THIS LINK :laugh:

I told ya the La Cornue is the best of the best! :thumbs: The ultimate in snobbery for your kitchen range. :D
Geez, they don't list Dacor appliances.

The old adage of, "you get what you pay for" rings so true.

We bought our house 7 years ago with 2 side by side Sub Zero fridges and Dacor appliances...double oven, hob with pop up extractor etc.
The house was 7 years old when we bought it and now, 14 years later, all these appliances look (and function) like they were purchased today.

Brian

So Brian, you like the SubZero fridges? I'm in the process of completely remodeling my kitchen and while I probably won't get a SubZero in the very near future, I'm planning on making the refrigerator space big enough to accommodate the 42" side by side just in case I ever get the burning desire to get one of those. :D

Thanks for mentioning Dacor, I had never heard of those. Their fancy 60" range runs about $12K. I'm going to see how Kathleen can convince me that the La Cornue is worth 3 1/2 times that! :laugh: I remain extremely confident she'll justify it somehow. :rolleyes: :laugh: