• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Your Kitchen

My wife wants a cast iron AGA cooker. I have to remind her that we live in Tucson and not England...radiant heating is not desirable here.

There's some relationship between La Cornue and AGA, I think AGA now owns LaCornue but that's probably like Ford owning (or used to own) Jaguar. Does anyone have any more information on this? ???

I think I read somewhere that some AGA ranges are made in the same factory as the lower end La Cornues (the Cornufe maybe ???) but the Chateaus are still hand built and made to order and I believe that factory is somewhere in the metro Paris area.

Speaking of kitchens (as I mentioned earlier), I'm in the process of completely redoing my kitchen, knocking some walls out and opening things up, relocating the back door to a gable end of the house so I don't have rain and snow making my life miserable like it has been for the past 40 years. :laugh: Putting down a nice red oak (#2 common, random width) floor. Most of this part of the house was built in the early 1800s so some walls and the floor isn't exactly straight but we're working on that! :D So far, it's coming out great! One of my political buddies is a contractor who's been in the business for over 25 years and he's doing a great job. I'm helping out a little with the plumbing and the wiring so I've been spending every spare minute on this now that it's getting too wet outside to do stone wall work. I spent the summer building a 200' long stone wall that's 4 1/2' wide by 4' tall and I just got it done last week.

I'd really like a Sub Zero fridge (the 42" built in, BI42) but the damn things cost about nine grand. :0 so that isn't going to happen anytime soon......

I'm hoping the whole project will be completed by December and the range should be in sometime in January.

Hey Gonz, you never posted your pictures. :laugh: Since you didn't here's how mine came out.
This is the "cooker" :laugh:
DSC00175.jpg

Here's the Sub Zero next to the doors that hide the washing machine and dryer:
DSC00174.jpg

A shot of the island:
IslandBack.jpg

This is the dining area:
DSC00179.jpg

The bathroom was redone at the same time:
DSC00184.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

That's right...you got remarried....that explains the 'feminine' touch!

Very nice.

No wonder you can't afford good scotch anymore. :whistling:

My project will not even come close to as nice as Bill's new kitchen, but I'll post the pics anyhow. The main reason I haven't posted the pics yet is that I don't quite have a finished project. The cabinets, countertops, appliances, backsplash is all done, but I'm just now finishing the window trim and plaster repair and getting a decent coat of paint on the walls and ceiling. Once the paint is done then I'll consider it finished and take some final pics.

But here is what we started with:

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

And here is halfway through the project, it shows the cabinets, new appliances and backsplash in progress. What it doesn't show yet is the tile floor, final backsplash, finished walls and ceiling and new lighting:

12272008020.jpg

12272008021.jpg

12272008028.jpg

Looks like you need shades while cooking, Bill.

Nice job, both of you. Andy, your starting kitchen is where I'm at currently, it's the next project for us after our master bath is done.

Very nice Andy.

Also, Bill that is an beautiful setup. I am NOT showing my wife those pictures or I will be screwed.

A professional style cooktop is definately a must.

Pro style cooktop is good - lots of room, lots of burners. Pro cooktop is ... well ... not so good. Suffice to say that it's hard to control that many BTUs on your first trip into a commercial kitchen.

Wow Gonz! That's a 1000% improvement over what ya started with, it looks great! :thumbs:

I took some pictures of what mine looked like before but it was with an old, cheapie digital camera and the pictures came out lousy.