• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Your Social Security Card

Your Social Security Card

• YES I have it, Original

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES I have it, Duplicate

• NO I don't have one.

• Total voters
My card, my wife's card, and both my boys cards are laminated in plastic and stored in my safe. Certified copies of all our birth certificates, too.

Yes, I'm a bit anal about stuff like this..... :p

You are not the only one. SS cards, copies of birth certificates, titles for cars, and passports all in water proof bags is fire safe. Fire safes are not water proof so after a fire things might be mush if not sealed.
Yup, the safe guy told me that too...we use tupperware type container in ours.

My card, my wife's card, and both my boys cards are laminated in plastic and stored in my safe. Certified copies of all our birth certificates, too.

Yes, I'm a bit anal about stuff like this..... :p

You are not the only one. SS cards, copies of birth certificates, titles for cars, and passports all in water proof bags is fire safe. Fire safes are not water proof so after a fire things might be mush if not sealed.
Yup, the safe guy told me that too...we use tupperware type container in ours.

Gary,

I wouldn't do that I know that do not allow you to laminate them, I had to get new ones for myself and the kids last year and the would not allow me to use a laminated one as an acceptiable means of showing that I had one. I really had to jump through hoops to get a new one for myself. And as for my kids they actually espected them to have picture I.D. at 9,10 and 14 if it wasen't for my DD214 i don't think i would have been able to get it done.

Sam

All important papers are in a fire safe in the attic. Still have the original, now do that math. ;)

I have a new copy, long story but I changed my name when I got married. It was a fairly painless process, I was at the SS office maybe 20 minutes.

A strange thing happened to me at my bank the other day. When I was moving some funds around, the Rep asked me to confirm my Social Security number and I gave it to her, verbally, like always. She then says, "Excuse me Mr. Roberti, but can I see your card for confirmation please." I was floored, I can't remember the last time someone asked me for it....the fact is, I don't think I've had one in 35 years or more! As best I can remember, I lost my wallet as a kid and never got a duplicate. All through college and the beginning of my business career, business loans, mortgages, you name it...I've never been asked for it. I know the Bank President and he waved off the card thing, but it got me thinking....I have to go and get a copy of the darn thing.

Anyone else experience this? Or am I just fugged up! Do you have yours?

Got to go get one Monday for sure....now, where the hell is a Social Security Office!

I carried my SS card around as a kid and literally turned it to dust in the wallet. Never needed it after that - as a matter of fact - I would say it is not a good idea to carry your SS card in your wallet with other ID (i.e. Drivers License) that contains your dob and address...
I was in the same predicament you were - started a new job after working 20 years at the previous one and had to produce a real SS card before they would hire me.

Sitting in the SS office is like going to the drivers license facility for a renewal. Bring a good book....

In Missouri you have to show ss card, birth certificate, (wife has to also show marriage license) just to renew your drivers license.

I've just always carried mine on me, probably not the best idea but that way I don't forget it when I need it. The only time in recent memory that I had to actually show it though was for the hiring paperwork at my new job.

I got my card when I was 16 and started working where I had to go on somebody's official payroll. Now, 43 years later I still have my original SS card. The thing is, my signature at 16 doesn't look anything like my signature now, so it probably looks like a fake...not to mention the fact that it's carved on a stone tablet. :laugh:

I had my wallet stolen when I was in High school and never got it replaced, nor have I been asked for a visual confirmation of it. I've been meaning to get one, this thread is going to make it a high priority.

Bah, I'm throwing mine away ... there won't be any thing left to collect by the time I'm due.

....... this thread is going to make it a high priority.
That was my intent Chris. When someone asked me for mine....after my initial shock....I thought I had to try and spread the word so it wouldn't happen to others.

Glad it opened a few eyes.

I keep it at the office in my personal insurance folder. I've gotten a replacement when I was 20 because I lost the original.

I haven't seen my original card in 20 years. If I recall correctly though, didn't the Social Security card say something to the effect of "Not to be used as identification" on it? Strange how this number has become almost solely a verification of idenitification.

I shredded mine the day I got my military ID.

When new employees come to my office (I work in industrial security) to be badged, some of them try to give me their SS card as proof of citizenship. Your SS card is not proof of citizenship. It is only a number proving you are eligible to work and have taxes deducted. I usually tell them to put it back in their safe at home. You should not have this card in your wallet at all.

My children's and my wife's cards are a ziplock along with birth certificates, passports and other federal ID's (dependent cards) in a safe.

I still have my original that I got when I was 14. :) Didn't have docs in baggies, but I do now. Thanks!

I'm in the banking industry and you must have a Social Security Card (or proof of) for any transaction that requires verification under the Patriot Act, which includes Mortgages.

I still have my original that I got when I was 14. :) Didn't have docs in baggies, but I do now. Thanks!

I'm in the banking industry and you must have a Social Security Card (or proof of) for any transaction that requires verification under the Patriot Act, which includes Mortgages.

I don't even remember the last time I was asked for mine. Either way, I have no clue where it is :laugh:

I still have my original. The funny thing is looking at the signature from so many years ago you'd never guess I was the same person. My signature way back then was perfectly legible. Every letter in perfect handwritten form. Now 30+ years and tens of thousands of signed documents later my signature contains nothing remotely comparable to letters of the alphabet.

Danny

I just got a replacement when i changed to my married name. I DO keep a copy with me but we keep all important documents(originals) in a fire proof safe. Plus, in BIG signs all over the SS office they tell you NOT to carry your SS card on your person.

Well there's my cent worth...

Melly