• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Your worst cigar story

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Took a quick look and didn’t see a current topic like this so I thought I would give it a shot. I would love to hear some other BOTL’s stories.

In 1998 I qualified to play in the US Amateur qualifier being held at my club. My handicap had gotten below the required 1.9 maximum and our head pro told me I should give it a whirl even though we both knew the young guys would thump me. I practiced for a few days prior to the event and the day before the 36 hole qualifier I was out on the course playing when a couple golf carts came rolling up. It was the head pro and a couple of my buds from the club, they wanted to play in with me to see how I was playing. One of the guys was the guy who was going to caddy for me and this was all pretty special.

Now earlier that day I had purchased two OpusX and put them in a hard sided two stick holder. When I decided to stop at the club and play a practice round I threw them in my golf bag because I didn’t want them in my car in the extreme heat. So……part way through this practice round with the guys I decided to fire one up since this was all pretty great.

The club president was one of the guys who had joined me and he see’s me pull out a cigar and says “hey do you have another one”…..now I know he saw that I did have another one so I couldn’t lie to him. I dug through my bag for a leftover cigar knowing he wasn’t a cigar smoker and would not know the difference between a dog rocket and a dog turd, but ….no luck. So I give him the OpusX, he lights it and says “phuuieeee, I don’t know how you can smoke these things” and before I can catch him he throws it on the ground and stomps on it.

From that day forward I will “always” have a few $1 sticks in my golf bag.

I held a motorcycle rally in Green Bay last year and brought the humidor I made plus one cooler chuck full of sticks to share. As the weekend went by, several friends asked if they could have a cigar, of course I said yes and we went into my motel room and they asked if I would pick one for them. Of course my decision was based on if they were a cigar smoker or not.

So later on Sat night, I go to get a cigar and notice that all three of the Cohiba Robustos I had in my humidor were gone. Being somewhat pissed, (more at myself for leaving the door unlocked) I walked around to see who was enjoying my only three Cohiba Robos that I had at the time. An hour later, I see one of the cigars lying in in the bottom of an ashtray about 1/4 smoked, another on the ground about the same size and the third a lady was working on. As I walked by her, she said, "thanks for the cigar", I just nodded and said, "no problem, I hope you enjoy it."

The door to my room was locked for the remainder of the rally.

However at the same rally, Gonz was gracious enough to gift me a Mike Ditka Graycliff robusto that was awesome. And I made sure he knew that anything I had he was more than welcome to. Of course his dog rockets equaled my premiums, but he was still welcome to anything I had.

I see one of the cigars lying in in the bottom of an ashtray about 1/4 smoked, another on the ground about the same size and the third a lady was working on.

Those two were probably a little strong for her, so she was on the third to see if it was any different. You're very generous. :laugh:

I have a story about wasting smokes as well. A few months ago my buddy had a poker game. He had a special box of R&J on hand that he was proud of. He gave out about five of those bad boys even after I told him not too. Hell, even his wife yelled at him. At the end of the night there were five 1/4 smoked Stogies in the ash tray. I think he has since learned his lesson. I do as most here and have a humi of smokes for others who stop by. They usually dont care and sometimes actually praise what I give them.

On a side note which, I thought was funny. One of the guys at the card game thought Coobans were illegal because they contained Pot. He swore up and down they did. Then I explained the embargo and he had never heard such a thing.

Damon

I have a story about wasting smokes as well. A few months ago my buddy had a poker game. He had a special box of R&J on hand that he was proud of. He gave out about five of those bad boys even after I told him not too. Hell, even his wife yelled at him. At the end of the night there were five 1/4 smoked Stogies in the ash tray. I think he has since learned his lesson. I do as most here and have a humi of smokes for others who stop by. They usually dont care and sometimes actually praise what I give them.

On a side note which, I thought was funny. One of the guys at the card game thought Coobans were illegal because they contained Pot. He swore up and down they did. Then I explained the embargo and he had never heard such a thing.

Damon

:laugh:
Now that right there... IS FUNNY!!!

Damon

It could only have been better if this guy brought a lot of money to the card game!

What did you say to him? I would have went ape shit.

I had a few choice words for him which nobody else understood because nobody was a HERFER. It didn't dampen my day too much as I shot 2 under par. The next day was a different story as far as the score goes.

CigarStone - That guy sounds like a total a$$hole. It's no different then walking into someone's home, asking for a glass of expensive wine, and then spitting it all over the floor and to top it off, make a rude and insulting comment. I would have been pissed if someone did that to me, and I'd make sure they knew too.

I always keep connies on hand for my friends. Only my real cigar smoking friends and herf buddies are gifted the "good stuff". Everyone else gets connies. I just can't see wasting an expensive cigar on someone who doesn't truly appreciate it. It takes years to be able to develop a pallet, and enjoy the many nuances a cigar can offer.

I don't really have any bad cigar stories. Well, except for the las vegas story. I offered my lighter to this older guy in vegas who was trying to light his cigar. He went through an entire book of matches. I offered my torch lighter, and he got all pissed and gave me a dirty look like I was some sort of an alien, and said "no, i like to chew on them". Could have fooled me. His wife apologized to me for his rude behavior.

I learned long ago never to share a cigar worth more than $1 with someone who 1.) has never smoked a cigar before, and 2.) someone who smokes swishers and thinks they are premium cigars.

Damon

:laugh: I use to hear the same thing when I was young. I've been wondering if anyone else had heard this.

At least my worst story was my fault. I was digging in the bottom of my desktop for something to smoke that evening. I set the tray, full of cigars, on top of the mantle. As I turned around to set it back in I knocked it with my shoulder and off it went. I lost the better part of the 30 or so cigars that were in it. It was all in slow motion as they hit the stone below and seemed to explode. The worst part was they were all top shelf cigars. Amongst the dead were Monte A's, five Small Batch LFD's, Party Lusitanias, Anejo 49's, a Taboada, and several other poor cigar souls. I did scrape a few injured cigars off the ground and smoked them all week so that they wouldn't make a mess of the humi. My humi is now on a desk where they cannot go anywhere.

God, that story still brings a tear to my eye :( :D .

ok, i got one. There's this handicapped guy that stops by at least once a week and sits and talks to me for a while. Well, I happen to just get a Cohiba Siglo IV in the mail and he comes down and plops right on it. I didn't notice till later on. :(

Crushed the foot. But still smoked ok.
:cool:

QUOTE(4thecrue @ Mar 9 2007, 12:45 PM)

Damon

I use to hear the same thing when I was young. I've been wondering if anyone else had heard this

Lets just say this was my first time hearing this. It was was also unbelievable he had never heard of the embargo.

Damon

Some idiot here tried to tell me that too. I just laughed at him. :laugh:

CigarStone - That guy sounds like a total a$$hole. It's no different then walking into someone's home, asking for a glass of expensive wine, and then spitting it all over the floor and to top it off, make a rude and insulting comment. I would have been pissed if someone did that to me, and I'd make sure they knew too.

I always keep connies on hand for my friends. Only my real cigar smoking friends and herf buddies are gifted the "good stuff". Everyone else gets connies. I just can't see wasting an expensive cigar on someone who doesn't truly appreciate it. It takes years to be able to develop a pallet, and enjoy the many nuances a cigar can offer.

I don't really have any bad cigar stories. Well, except for the las vegas story. I offered my lighter to this older guy in vegas who was trying to light his cigar. He went through an entire book of matches. I offered my torch lighter, and he got all pissed and gave me a dirty look like I was some sort of an alien, and said "no, i like to chew on them". Could have fooled me. His wife apologized to me for his rude behavior.

I learned long ago never to share a cigar worth more than $1 with someone who 1.) has never smoked a cigar before, and 2.) someone who smokes swishers and thinks they are premium cigars.

Yeah it was bad but at that time OpusX was readily available (for $25) and this was totally innocent as he was just trying to share in my fun. I see it as a vauable lesson which only cost me $25 and has probably saved me $100's since. Afterall that's how I stumbled onto Consuegra #25 for $1 a stick.

Cigarstone...I would have biatch slapped him and fokked his shit up...and made him pay for it too. What a dick!