• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How was your week?

In my case . . . vodka, pulled pork, cigars, Scotch, bourbon, naps, pulled pork, movies, cigars, pie, pulled pork, naps, cigars, movies, pulled pork . . . :confused:

It was a heckuva good week, at that.

This week I'm getting students ready for the state STAAR tests in English next week, and finishing up the instructional modules for two new writing courses we're launching in January. At that point, students who start at RMA as freshman will get their entire first two years of English instruction from . . . well, me. All of it. Every lesson. :eek:

~Boar

With the 75th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attacks coming up, next week is the only week that matters -- everything else is just blurry and tangential. And, full of work, past, present, and future. We've put so much into developing new programs for the upcoming week of events that everyone is mentally and physically drained. If we make it to the middle of December without anyone ending up in the hospital (for any variety of reason ranging from exhaustion to violence), it will be a Christmas Miracle. I'm excited to see it all come together, honestly. We have some folks going out onto the Arizona Memorial for the Blackened Canteen ceremony (Google, my friends), and I'm supremely jealous. As a museum, we are putting on something like 15 different programs and events over the next two weeks. The Education Department accounts for the bulk of those. This is all in addition to my "regular job" taking our education outreach program out to schools around the island.

Good times. Good times. Wouldn't trade the privilege of being part of this historic event for anything, though.

So we are two weeks away from having our second son, scheduled for Dec 20th. Though our doctor said to finish up our Christmas shopping quick- he doesn't think that we will have to wait that long. So on doctors orders we got our shopping done, got our tree up and decorated and have the nursery put together and over night bags packed.

Wow, shit's getting real, eh? Very cool, and it makes the holidays all that much sweeter. Best of luck to the soon-to-be-four of you!

We had our gala on Saturday night, the aerological tower dedication on Sunday, as well as the premiere of "Remember Pearl Harbor", which you may have already seen on TV the past two days (narrated by Tom Selleck). Today was the Blackened Canteen ceremony and Youth Peace Summit at the museum. We hosted over 300 students from the island for a seminar featuring Dr. Hiroya Sugano, who travels every year to commemorate the fallen and promote lasting peace, and Captain Gary Yellin, a WWII P-51 pilot and author of the book "The Blackened Canteen". He is also responsible for the memorial in Shizuoka for the B-29 crew members killed in the mid-air collision that produced the canteen. The symposium also featured students from local Kamehameha School and students from Nagaoka School in Japan who worked jointly for the last several months on essays relating their lives now and the peace and reconciliation post-WWII between Japan and the US. The students created a peace proclamation in the afternoon and presented it to the mayor of Nagaoka and our museum director (witnessed by all of our VIPs and hundreds of visitors). It was honestly very, very moving.

To see the canteen, itself, was quite amazing, as it was something I remember reading about in grade school -- now I was a part of the ceremony. I've been afforded incredible opportunities to witness and take part in history since I started working here a little over two years ago. I am in awe of some of the things we have done. I work with some truly spectacular educators and historians.
A mini-highlight of the day was getting to present a lei to our symposium facilitator, the sister of President Obama. She is quite the accomplished scholar and education advocate here in Hawaii. In a few weeks, the President will be here to display, on a much grander scale, exactly what we worked with the students for -- he will be meeting with the governor of Hiroshima to embrace mutual reconciliation.

Very brief story on the ceremony at the USS Arizona Memorial:

Kann, that is really cool! Let alone your proximity to it!
Son #2's arrival is around the corner, and things are getting a bit hyper here. Last week was fun with play dates, doctors visits, present wrapping, and finalizing a few things. At this point, its just a waiting game, and no one likes a waiting game. I'm going to try get one or two more date nights in before we go to the hospital, our neighbors and friends have been so generous in offering to watch our son for a night that we would be idiots to not take them up on their offers.
Cigar wise, this weekend has been a bust. Not only is it cold as balls, but I'm overcoming some congestion and as much as I'd like to find time for a smoke, it would be a waste- i wouldn't be able to taste it.

How was your week? What did you smoke- I'll live vicariously through your line up!

Well, last week was STAAR testing week here in Texas---and a "non-broadcast" week for Distance Learning teachers like me, since all the campuses I service across the state were on test schedules instead of regular class periods.

Not that I wasn't busy! I've been writing new courses for the upcoming semester; Technical Writing and Creative Writing. By writing I mean everything . . . instructional PowerPoints, recording content videos, designing learning activities and graphic organizers and projects and quizzes. Day by day lessons, uploaded to a program called Canvas that we use as our delivery interface. And I have until the start of the new term to finish the first nine weeks for both courses.

I got it done by Wednesday. :D

Apparently deadline + downtime is how I do my best work! :rolleyes:

~Boar

Spent the week nesting. Cleaned the microwave, vacuumed three times, mopped twice. Assembled a baby swing, ordered diapers. By the way, my 2yr old is in 6's and in comparing them to Newborn diapers, Newborns are tiny!
Crazy to think that Tuesday morning I'm going to be putting a new baby in diapers! Wow.

After the baby is born:

"Spent the day taking care of the baby.
Cleaned the microwave three times
vacuumed six times.
mopped 4 times.
ordered a lot more diapers!!! "

:D

It's a. It week for us. We go in tomorrow for the birth of our second son! It's scheduled so you aspiring parents please don't get the wrong idea of predictability. Anyway I posted a New Baby Contest in the contest section so go enter in it!

Wellllllllllll...? :D

Hope everything is great and Mom, son, and Dad are doing wonderfully.

It went great. Every thing went as planned. Mom and baby are great. I'm sleepy. Yesterday went wonderful with great nurses, doctors, family and friends.

Umm so I had a good week. BABY! Our son was born on Tuesday! Our family and friends did an awesome job with taking care of our 2yr old and dog while we enjoyed a 4 day, 3 night stay at hospital bonding with our new son and recovering. On Saturday I found out that one of my best friends is getting married to an awesome woman. On Christmas Day, I found out my Sister is pregnant! Also, Christmas morning my 2yr old was squealing with delight as we went through his Stocking and then through the presents. He was really enjoying it! Truth be told this week has been the best. So many wonderful things involving so many wonderful people in my life. Merry Christmas.

IMG_1431.JPG

Awesome week indeed Jon! Congratulations!
Thanks. I like to think that it was all me but my wife insists that she played a key role. Anyway for my part on the process I got a box of Tabernacle Coronas. My wife got a more expensive gift. Go figure.

You had a heck of a week, Jon. I'm happy for you.

We had a pretty mellow week, which I did my best to keep that way. Son has been on School Vacation since the Dec 23rd. Goes back on Jan 4th. I really like it when he's home. (yea, I'm older and sappy!)

Had some car issues the end of Dec., but my mechanic got it all figured out. 2 bad grounds, fried the Alternator, and I got a new battery because while the old 3.5 yr old one read ok, it was getting corrosion on the terminals really fast. More than regular, so I just got proactive. Could have been a crack on top or around the terminals. Did a stress test on the ignition/charging system and it seem A.O.K. He treated me righteous on the cost, saving me several hundreds in labor. (I'm unemployed right now) He, like me, is a knife lover, so I gave him a killer knife as a "tip". He was very happy. (Dumbfounded really. I don't think he's ever handled a higher end, not mass produced, knife)

Been eating a lot of our favorites while my son is home, but no weight gain...we eat when we're hungry. Got rid of "scheduled" eating years ago. Lost 15 lbs immediately.

Hope you all have a great week.

So a lot has happened in the last 7 or so weeks. Davey is now 8 weeks old and is a Boss! He chubby face is hilarious. My older son, Parker who is 2.5, takes the best care of Davey- or ties too. If Davey is crying, Parker goes "Oh No, baby crying!" Then runs over hand gives him a chock-hold hug. If we are burping Davey, Parker will run over and try to burp him too. He also wants to help bottle feed him and supervise diaper changes. It's awesome. We got a schedule going quickly with Davey but it is constantly changing as his growth requires which leads to a lot of try/fail/adjust. I think any parent can attest to this scenario. We are working on how to balance everything but that has been compounded with Parker deciding that he is done with naps- which has sucked big time. Lately it's been a race to dinner time and then bath time/bedtime with Parker. So, in summary, things are great and crazy as hell.
How has your last two months been?

I don't think my last 2 months can even compete. Kids are so cool! I'm happy that things seem to be going well. Congrats again.