• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bargain Hound...

LeRoy W. Lee

Southern Charmer...
Hello. Hope all are well. My first thread seemed a logical place to start: I need more sticks to smoke... I've seen the deals on Thompson's Cigars and they seem to have great overall prices on samplers, bundled, brown-bags, 5-packs, singles, etc... I buy the occasional special 5-packs & singles, but am looking to buy some in quantity or bulk as well. CI & JR's has a great (best) selection somewhat, but can you recommend a site(s) for me that are comparable to Thompson's in prices and deals? I'm familiar with Cigar/Cigars.com, etc., but I'm sure there are bang-up sites out there I just haven't run across yet. Please let me in!!! Thanks & Best, LeRoy L.

Hello. Hope all are well. My first thread seemed a logical place to start: I need more sticks to smoke... I've seen the deals on Thompson's Cigars and they seem to have great overall prices on samplers, bundled, brown-bags, 5-packs, singles, etc... I buy the occasional special 5-packs & singles, but am looking to buy some in quantity or bulk as well. CI & JR's has a great (best) selection somewhat, but can you recommend a site(s) for me that are comparable to Thompson's in prices and deals? I'm familiar with Cigar/Cigars.com, etc., but I'm sure there are bang-up sites out there I just haven't run across yet. Please let me in!!! Thanks & Best, LeRoy L.
Thompson’s sucks. Stick around, read. Contribute. You’ll smoke better stuff and learn a thing or two. Life’s too short to smoke shitty cigars. Ask Doc.

Cigarbid.

Your credit card company will thank you.

I use CigarBid, but also don't get into bidding wars there. You need to research anything you bid upon for realistic price you can buy it for on sale, then bid accordingly. Say if the "best" price you can find on say aFive Pack Oliva Series "G" 6 X 60 is $22.83. Than you know that is a could buy for low price, so it would be foolish to pay over the $22.83 price.

Create a Bid List to follow, and don't over bid, if the bidding get crazy, and it does. God to the side line, and sit the bidding out.

Do not over pay.

Echoing all of the above, this community is definitely not about finding the quickest and cheapest way to cigars. Check out the retailer threads as there are many reputable sellers here that while they may not be basement prices, they have the best customer service and know how to treat loyal customers. The newbie sampler trade cannot be stressed enough. Do it, do it, do it. And like the others have said, stick around, read first, get to know how we do things here, and you will be rewarded far better than Thompson's or any of those other sites can do.

Being self employed the majority of my life, doing contract work where ever job was a first date, I understand customer service. I personally have a couple of favorite online sellers I deal with. Reason boils down to selection, price, speed of free or low cost shipment and customer service.

Most of my local local B & M just can not be competitive in most of the four reason I buy on line. It is easier to pick up the phone, or order on-line, then drive to my Post Office Box to retrieve my order.

Then go to the local B & M, get bad service, no thank you, higher prices, pay nasty local, country, state & state tabacco tax, makes zero sense.

You worry too much about money. There are no free lunches. Good cigars in good condition are not cheap. I've found that bargain cigars all have a distinctive taste, unique to that particular brand, that wears thin after a while, or they have construction problems. If you can't afford the hobby, maybe you should consider some other endeavor, or smoke El Producto's. Your whining about the costs of a luxury item is getting old. It's better to smoke one good cigar a week than to smoke a half dozen bad ones a day.

Doc

You worry too much about money. There are no free lunches. Good cigars in good condition are not cheap. I've found that bargain cigars all have a distinctive taste, unique to that particular brand, that wears thin after a while, or they have construction problems. If you can't afford the hobby, maybe you should consider some other endeavor, or smoke El Producto's. Your whining about the costs of a luxury item is getting old. It's better to smoke one good cigar a week than to smoke a half dozen bad ones a day.

Doc

Well Doc you are correct there are no free lunches, unless it is a media lunch. Even then string are attached. But being frugal with your money is no crime, and looking for the best price.

Having been a business owner, and outside sale an of industrial gasses, and welding supplies. I found most businessman I deal with were alway looking for three thing. Product, service, and fair or discount pricing.

Being frugal is ignorant. I buy the best I can afford of everything I can. That way I only have to buy it once, not twice or thrice. My sons will enjoy their tools and firearms, and so will my grandchildren and maybe even their children. And as for retail, you have no idea. I grew up in a store. Quality goods cost money.
It's been a long time since any one has used the phrase, "You don't get it". It's appropriate now.

Doc

Being frugal is ignorant. I buy the best I can afford of everything I can. That way I only have to buy it once, not twice or thrice. My sons will enjoy their tools and firearms, and so will my grandchildren and maybe even their children. And as for retail, you have no idea. I grew up in a store. Quality goods cost money.
It's been a long time since any one has used the phrase, "You don't get it". It's appropriate now.

Doc

Well why would you over pay for the same item. Exact same item that cost more at merchant "A", or 20% or more less at merchant "B"?

I think you may be missing the point here.

Cigar A is a "premium" cigar - a well know established brand, tested, tried and true.....follow?
It has a set MSRP.

It an be found online at any of the higher quality shops for price X (where X = MSRP + Cost of business mark up)

It can be found at your local for price X (where X = MSRP + Cost of business mark up) + Cost of doing business in your Location

or it can be found on a "discount" site.....guess why it is on the discount site....I will give you 3 tries and the first 2 don't count.

In the end, you get what you pay for, or rather..what you are willing to pay for.

Nothing wrong with trying to save some money, I get it, but understand that quality comes with a price, and as the quality goes down, or the 15 boxes of Cigar A exceed the their shelf life, or get left out in an uncontrolled environment, or get delayed in shipment for a week and sit in the back of a 170 degree truck.....that price also goes down along with the quality of the cigar.

Just my thoughts, do with it what you will.

TMX

Well I see your point, but the Cigars do get better with time, (aging) most of the time. Also in my neck of the woods, or desert most of the local shops either run their humidors very high, or we have the local humidors-store (store that is a walk in humi-store). So you have the problem of everytime the front door opens, they goes the RH.

I have found several good on-line retailers, who ship to me well packed via USPS Priority Mail with Boveda Type Humidification in heavy duty ziplocks. Delivery is always 2 days. So far, so good, I am happy with their customer service, prices, occasional sales, convince, and last reward program.

None of which I have found within an hour drive of home, so that is why I buy from those online retailers. On-line is killing B & M's not just Cigars, electronic, sport shoes, you name it, it is mail order.

Many years ago I need some new camera & lighting equipment for my business, old stuff need be retired. Local pro-salesman at locally own B & M camera store/laboratory said give me a shot at what you need. I gave him my list of equiptment I was replacing. Told him to work me up a good price, mail his price, and availability on all items.

Several months later I was in the business pickup up some small items, enlargements, run into salesman, her ask what happy with my quote.

My reply was straight forward, I order from my regular source in NYC. They were $3,000.00 less, (over 28% savings) on my list, had everything in stock, shipped second day air.

Than I said you quoted me full bore MSRP on every item, and had one one or two items in stock. No reason to over pay when it come out of my bottom line.

Well I see your point, but the Cigars do get better with time, (aging) most of the time. Also in my neck of the woods, or desert most of the local shops either run their humidors very high, or we have the local humidors-store (store that is a walk in humi-store). So you have the problem of everytime the front door opens, they goes the RH.

I have found several good on-line retailers, who ship to me well packed via USPS Priority Mail with Boveda Type Humidification in heavy duty ziplocks. Delivery is always 2 days. So far, so good, I am happy with their customer service, prices, occasional sales, convince, and last reward program.

None of which I have found within an hour drive of home, so that is why I buy from those online retailers. On-line is killing B & M's not just Cigars, electronic, sport shoes, you name it, it is mail order.

Many years ago I need some new camera & lighting equipment for my business, old stuff need be retired. Local pro-salesman at locally own B & M camera store/laboratory said give me a shot at what you need. I gave him my list of equiptment I was replacing. Told him to work me up a good price, mail his price, and availability on all items.

Several months later I was in the business pickup up some small items, enlargements, run into salesman, her ask what happy with my quote.

My reply was straight forward, I order from my regular source in NYC. They were $3,000.00 less, (over 28% savings) on my list, had everything in stock, shipped second day air.

Than I said you quoted me full bore MSRP on every item, and had one one or two items in stock. No reason to over pay when it come out of my bottom line.

I’m gonna share with you some more of Doc’s words of wisdom....something along the way of.... You know what you get when you age a crappy cigar? An old crappy cigar.

Other gems from CP:

Life’s to short to smoke shitty cigars.

Ultimately: smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Personally I’d rather have 50 top notch cigars than 200 shitty ones.

C

Last edited:
Sometimes I don’t mind paying a bit more to keep a local B&M in business so I have a place to go when I want to. I like to support my local economy. I even like to support the smaller guy when I buy online with the likes of Regency Cigar in Rhode Island, Tobacco Grove in Minnesota, and Keystone_Raider In Pennsylvania. Screw CBid and Thompson.

One of these days we’re gonna regret making the likes of Amazon and other online retail corporations so huge.

I watch my bottom line with my business, not where I always choose to spend.

Sometimes I don’t mind paying a bit more to keep a local B&M in business so I have a place to go when I want to. I like to support my local economy. I even like to support the smaller guy when I buy online with the likes of Regency Cigar in Rhode Island, Tobacco Grove in Minnesota, and Keystone_Raider In Pennsylvania. Screw CBid and Thompson.

One of these days we’re gonna regret making the likes of Amazon and other online retail corporations so huge.

I watch my bottom line with my business, not where I always choose to spend.

I love amazon, heck, most of my stocks portfolio is geared towards it but when Toys R' Us decided to go out of business, it really gave me an uneasy feeling because deep down I know that amazon played a big part on that. Yes, we all get to save money on the same exact items and even with toys r us "going out business prices" you still find that amazon is cheaper. My kids won't grow up having such a fun store and I always went there the night before Christmas to buy all of their toys. So I'm already regretting it. I also try to purchase and support my local B&M as much as possible but with all of these FDA's regulations, higher prices, taxes, etc, at some point there will be few available, if any at all.

I love amazon, heck, most of my stocks portfolio is geared towards it but when Toys R' Us decided to go out of business, it really gave me an uneasy feeling because deep down I know that amazon played a big part on that. Yes, we all get to save money on the same exact items and even with toys r us "going out business prices" you still find that amazon is cheaper. My kids won't grow up having such a fun store and I always went there the night before Christmas to buy all of their toys. So I'm already regretting it. I also try to purchase and support my local B&M as much as possible but with all of these FDA's regulations, higher prices, taxes, etc, at some point there will be few available, if any at all.

Well if you study history companies like Sear Roebucks Co., and Montgomery Ward had B & M locations, catalog store, and last did huge catalog (mail order business). Remember you could buy chicken wire, baby chicks, a shot gun, a motor scooter, a Allstate car, or just about anything you needed from Sears Catalog. Now both companies are history, or almost history.

Online is killing the local B & M who have not decided to compete, and fight back. We had one B & M 20 + miles from me where the owner sold more boxes than his competitor. Why he was about service, and also did a minimum of 20% box discount 365 days a year.

Guy was killed in a car crash, the new manager is struggling to keep the place open, owner had most of the business in his head.

I will predict that in 5 - 10 years most B & M's will close unless they become Cigar Bar that serve Beer & Wine also. Everything changes, like when Sears & Montgomery Wards were the kings of retail. Now it is Wal-Mart, and Wal-MartDot Com is trying to go head to head with Amazon. Partner with other smaller companies offing item like XIKAR lighter, you can order on line. Have sent to your home, office, or pick - up at Wal-Mart.

Two things that have changed the way business is done is the Credit/Debit Card, and Online shopping. No more putting a quarter in an envelope, with box tops, and sending away to Battle Creek, Michigan. For some item a kids saw on Black & White TV with Rabbit Ears Antana in a Kellogg's commercial. Then waiting for the mailman to bring the toy submarine that went up & down in the bath tub power by "secret powder", that was really baking powder.

Last edited:
Getting back to the original posters question, cigarbid is good but usually not the best selection. Newbie trade on the forums on here gave a a TON of high ends to try for not even close to what they cost. CI is ok but a lot of their stuff you can get cheaper on cigarbid. Hope this helps!