• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo No.4 Compay 95 Aneversario Humidor

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Turned out to be a nice day getting up to around 50F with a slight breeze and plenty of sunshine. I’m finally getting over a nasty flu bug that lingered for a couple of weeks, so I wanted to smoke a really nice cigar this afternoon. I was gifted a Montecristo No. 4 from a 2002 Compay 95 Aniversario Humidor by a very special BOTL here (thank you sir, very much). This humidor was produced by Montecristo in honor of Compay Segundo (famous artist/musician in Cuba), has a portrait of him on the band.

I was thoroughly looking forward to smoking this cigar. The wrapper was a medium brown with a nice oily sheen and small veins throughout. There was a very nice triple cap on top and good bunching in the foot. I punched the cap and found the draw perfect with a sweet, rich tobacco flavor.

Toasting the foot, the aroma wafting up from the beginning embers was incredible. The foot lit up effortlessly and produced tons of smoke. First draw was amazing with a fine, white pepper spice on the back of the throat and delicious flavors of rich coffee and sweet roasted hazelnuts. The smoke was a medium to medium-full strength and had a perfect burn with dark gray ash.

This was hands down the best Montecristo cigar I’ve had to date. To me, it didn’t have the typical Montecristo profile, but something much darker and much richer. I can’t even begin to describe the intense, complex flavors this cigar had. I know the long and creamy finish was the best I’ve experienced. I just couldn’t quit smacking my lips! What an amazing smoke!

Thank you my friend for the opportunity!

12-13-08Monte4Compay001.jpg

12-13-08Monte4Compay002.jpg

12-13-08Monte4Compay003.jpg

12-13-08Monte4Compay004.jpg

12-13-08Monte4Compay005.jpg

I'm glad your feeling better.

Wonderful review, Greg. This mareva is an outstanding smoke. I agree with you regarding the complexity and richness of this cigar. This the best recent mareva I've smoked...including the Festival Mareva and Club Epicure.

Best,

Rob

Great review Greg. I have to agree with you on this one. This is one of the best petit coronas I've had the pleasure of smoking( of recent vintage). Considering the age of this cigar I think it still has a ways to go to reach it's peak. Another 5 years and look out these will blow you away for sure.

The blending of this cigar is quite different from the normal Monte profile as you said. Very complex expresso bean with an earthy sweetness and a long long finish. The solomones from this release are in a league of there own as well. Same flavor profile but a bit stronger.

This is one of the best petit coronas I've had the pleasure of smoking( of recent vintage). Considering the age of this cigar I think it still has a ways to go to reach it's peak. Another 5 years and look out these will blow you away for sure.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Nice review and pics Greg :thumbs:

Nice review Greg.

I just smoked a Salomone version last Sunday on my Birthday. Blew me away!

I have to say, it was a blockbuster. Very complex, with a pronounced coffee, espresso profile. Other flavors that I was not able to pick out. A bit heavy on the strength compared to all the other Montecristo marcas I have tried, including the Emundo Dante. Suited me just fine.

Great review, as always. Did you happen to smoke this gem while listening to the musical stylings of the Bueno Vista Social Club?

Great review Greg, this is one I was really interested in hearing about. They sound like phenomenal smokes.

Thanks for another gem of a review Greg. I was curious about these, and I wouldn't have expected them to be so good (I'm a bit of a pessimist regarding 02' vintage smokes).

Great review!

When the hell are the Backwoods reviews coming?
You smoke waaaay too many awesome sticks! :p

-Rob