• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shuriken Cutter

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
I saw this Shuriken cutter in a email blast from a vendor last week and it caught my attention. I posted in the Humidor Forum to see if anyone actually tried it and no one had a definitive opinion on it...so I ordered one.

I received it via UPS this morning and figured I'd give it a whirl after it stopped raining. I grabbed a Padilla 1932, I think theses were the ones that were rolled in Miami. I found them buried in my humidor last week and figured this would be a great opportunity to sample one again since it was in there for a few years.

It was a nice sunny afternoon at the Jersey Shore, about 76 degrees with a relative humidity of 63%. Last nights rain storm blew the hot weather out to sea and.....screw this, I sound like Kingantz now! :laugh:

When you open the cutter up and look inside, you see 6 thin razor blades that are pointed at the top where you insert the cigar. I followed the enclosed directions and pushed it straight in until it stopped...about an inch or more. You could barely see the slits put in there when you looked at it up close after you take it out.

One word of warning, this thing is round a rolls around all over the place...a little more of a flat spot would have been nice to keep it in place.

DSC01098.jpg

I torched the end and began to puff...just as they said, it drew very well and produced a good volume of smoke.

DSC01102.jpg

Once I puffed for about 5-10 minutes, the slits became more visible

DSC01108.jpg

As I smoked the cigar and gently bit down, they were right, you can adjust the draw as you smoke. The weird thing is, as you smoke and glance down at the cigar in your hand, you don't see the traditional cut or punch! Very strange indeed.

As I continued to smoke, it didn't clog up at all...and I did put a little extra saliva on it just to test it out.

You would gently put pressure on the tip and the draw was perfect the entire time.

DSC01114.jpg

So, the final verdict...

Is it novel?...yes. Is it revolutionary?...ehhh. Did it make the cigar smoke cooler?...if I said yes I may be making that up. Is it cool as hell and will I use it?...definitely YES.

At no time did it clog or become tough to draw on.

DSC01117.jpg

Is it worth the money?...I paid $18.00 for it and I don't feel ripped off at all. I think it will be a great conversation piece when herfing with the boys and that in itself makes it worth it!

I can now say that I'm smoking with "I-Draw Technology" baby.... :rolleyes:

PS: That Padilla 1932 was really good, the time in the humidor did it justice. I liked them when I first got them and it tasted even better now!

LUKE, I AM YOUR FATHER! :laugh:

sorry Gary, I just couldn't help myself! But I will say this, I think I may just have to buy one to add to my toy collection. Can you PM me the place you got it from or are all the vendors here having it soon?

Dave

Very cool - thanks for the review! Do you have to suck up higher on the cigar to cover the slots more than you normally would with a different cut? Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm wondering if on a cigar with a small cap, would the slots go beyond the cap and cut into the wrapper and binder?

^^^ I wondered the same thing. I generally like to keep the cigar outside of my mouth and as dry as possible... didn't know if you'd have to really lip-it to get over the slits.

Thanks for being the Guinea, Gary!

Very cool - thanks for the review! Do you have to suck up higher on the cigar to cover the slots more than you normally would with a different cut? Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm wondering if on a cigar with a small cap, would the slots go beyond the cap and cut into the wrapper and binder?

I only smoked the one cigar and after using the cutter on it, I didn't have to put the cigar any further in my mouth than I normally would. As for cutting into the wrapper/binder of a smaller ring gauge cigar, when you look inside the cutter...it's like looking into a funnel and the 6 thin blades are tapered to a point. So it will adjust to any size cigar you push inside it.

Hope that answers your questions.

EDIT to add pic...

DSC01118.jpg

^^^ I wondered the same thing. I generally like to keep the cigar outside of my mouth and as dry as possible... didn't know if you'd have to really lip-it to get over the slits.

Thanks for being the Guinea, Gary!
If you look closely at the pictures, the slits are cut on the hip of the cap due to the taper inside the cutter and it will be the same on any ring gauge stick.

No thanks necessary. Having two 100% Italian parents, I didn't really have much of a choice....I've been a guinea all my life.

:laugh:

EDIT to add pic...

DSC01119.jpg

sorry Gary, I just couldn't help myself! But I will say this, I think I may just have to buy one to add to my toy collection. Can you PM me the place you got it from or are all the vendors here having it soon?

Dave
Well thx, after the Star Wars reference, I have to get one..... :sign: :D

Tim

Why is a picture of CigarManAndy in here Gary? :laugh:

John, Andy does refer to me as "My brother from a different Mother"....never quite got that until now....especially since he's over 2ft taller than me! :0

Dave
Well thx, after the Star Wars reference, I have to get one..... :sign: :D

Tim

Doesn't it! If there was a little sticker of Darth Vader, you bring that to a herf, add some alcohol, and Boom! you'd be talking into a styrofoam cup the whole night! :laugh:

I placed my order for one last night, thanks Gary!

No tar build up? That's interesting. At the show, the rep said the tar would be deposited at the cap and wouldn't clog the slits. We didn't believe her.

Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing what happens with a tar-prone stick like an Anejo. And what about figurados? How do you think the cap would cut with a torp or a belicoso?

Thx for doing all the researchon this, waiting onthe results for the Figurados.

Tim

Since Gary pointed me in the right direction on where to find this gem of a cutter, I figured I'd bump his thread with my own thoughts on this Shuriken cutter. It came in today with a couple of 5'vers of 2 cigars I wanted to revisit, La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial and Coronado by La Flor Dominicana. Even though the Coronado was ROTT, it was going to be my cigar I would walk the dogs with. The cutter came with it's own plastic black cap (I bought the basic black, plastic one) so anyone fearful of sticking their finger in one while digging it out of your pocket need not worry. The cap stays on fairly tight with just a slight tug and off it goes. I could see the cap getting lost at a herf if you don't keep track of it, so maybe drilling holes in it and putting some string on it would solve that problem. All you McGuyvers out there can have a crack at it if you buy one. Me, I'm sticking with how it looks, kinda like one of those sex toy butterfly things they sell, minus the motor. Although, if I wanted to mule some black tar heroin across the country I'd be more than equipped to bring the party to you. :)Since the toro sized cigar was fairly humidified from being in the back of a USPS truck, the thought of cracking the stick from me pushing down too hard or squeezing it between my fingers didn't worry me much. I think I pushed too far down as I heard it slicing the cap, but it being such a big ring cigar I kept on pushing until an audible "crack" was heard and felt in my fingers. UH OHHH, did I just fuck that up? I pulled Darth Vaders head off and looked at the cap, it showed those razor lines very slightly and at the end of it's slice there was more of an opening just beyond the edge of the cap. Phew, looks good to go so I put flame with my tabletop lighter to the foot and sucked. Nothing. Okay, let's try biting the tip a little and then I was able to draw the flame onto the foot until I had it all fired up. Grabbed my Vibram 5 finger shoes, clipped the dogs in and started down the street. I'm usually accustomed to free drawing smokes while walking so I don't have to fight the cigar in case it tightens up on me so during the initial walk I kept trying to use my lip pressure to open the slits, but it really wasn't getting me a good draw. I remembered the instructions said to turn the cigar while applying pressure and that's when the cigar opened up. I actually had good drawing throughout the walk, but a couple of things stood out mentally for me. Since the cap is still intact, the feeling of a smooth piece of tobacco on your tongue when smoking felt weird.  Hahaha. I resorted to my yard gar style of smoking where I clench and bite the tip of the cigar and that made a lot of smoke, but it did end up making the end eventually lift off and when the last third hit, I bit the cap off and all kinds of tobacco got pulled out of the cigar. That kind of blown out, soggy end is what comes of me smoking that way, so I had to grab my guillotine cutter and clipped off the wet part. I ended up smoking it just beyond the band. The cigar didn't taste the same, but it's been 3 years since I smoked one and those used to make me spin something bad, but I guess my palate is tougher now, it was a not bad smoke. I think I should let the other 4 settle down before trying to smoke one again. Final thoughts, it's a nice novelty idea, I'm going to take it to the station tomorrow and try it with something a little drier. I'm so used to having a cap either clipped or punched, I have to mentally remember to start smoking a cigar a little differently. Not rocket science, but it makes me concentrate on the cigar more. It'll have it's place in my cutter rotation and I can even put my cholesterol pills in there when I go out smoking so I don't forget my medicine. :pI have no idea WTF is going on with the paragraphing, I double spaced between my thoughts. Oh well, just make believe I'm one of those guys that failed english and grammar class. Thanks Gary!

I got the Shuriken yesterday. I bought a cabinet of 50, Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2 back in 2007 and have about 12 left, not a single one had a problem though flavors did change over time. I used one of these as a test on the Shuriken. The cigar pulled smoke ok and I was beginning to be impressed, but by the time I got to one inch on the cigar the tar started pouring in and blackened my lips.

So maybe on lighter cigars this would work? I had to toss the Hoyo.

For all those interested, it is on sale today for 12.98 shipped. If you're interested, just PM me and I'll shoot you the name of the website I found it at. Not personally endorsing it, just putting it out there.

I think we are going to get a lot of feedback mentioning Tar as a problem. I still want to try this. I love experiments. Oh, not for cigars, for something else.... :0

Mine is on they way!!!
Thx Gary!

T