• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arganese Pyramid Scheme

Do you know the name of the juice I think a friend of mine got into the same thing?

It's called Monavie. :)

As far as Gene Arganese, he seemed like a really decent dude when I met him. I'm a little surprised at all of this, and yet I'm not. I'm still standing by for the email Andy says he's going to provide for us to read before I throw out all my Arganese cigars.

But I've gotta say Andy, whether Gene denies it or not, the writer of that article makes some serious accusations with more than sufficient evidence. Gene has a lot to answer for.

Anyone know how many I'd have to sell to get my double platinum diamond pin and join the Emerald club?

Funny this all came up today. I've been doing research all day into a MLM company my uncle has forwarded to me. Still can't place whether I am going to get involved or not because it really isn't a sales marketing scheme.

I don't know. I've heard a number of unfounded rumors about Arganese lately. I suspect he's pissed someone off. I think I'll wait this one out before I make up my mind about this one.

Doc.

I don't know. I've heard a number of unfounded rumors about Arganese lately. I suspect he's pissed someone off. I think I'll wait this one out before I make up my mind about this one.

Doc.

Doc, admission of involvement in a "bromance" with Gene is the first step sir... :whistling:

Whoever wrote that article sure did their research. This, to me, is something that has no place in the cigar industry. I'll be interested to see the email Gene has you post Andy.

Whoever wrote that article sure did their research. This, to me, is something that has no place in the cigar industry. I'll be interested to see the email Gene has you post Andy.
I didn't see any footnotes and the author doesn't give his full name. Has he some axe to grind? In my 35 plus years in the cigar hobby the one thing I've learned is, there's a lot of BS out there. I wouldn't be too quick to come to any conclusions.

Doc.

The first time I met Gene was at a HERF in Monrovia. Nice and funny guy. I loved listening to his cigar stories. He also pitched the idea (MLM) to us while we smoked his puro "uno" cigar. Funny thing, "Monavie" came up in the discussion as well.
Nothing was written in stone at that time, he was getting our responses to this and asked for input. Personally, I stay away from those schemes. I did break down once and bought "Monavie" from my friend. It was only $40 (rip-off).

MLM's are bad except for those at the top of the pyramid. And Yes, Amway, Avon etc. are all pyramids that have products to go along with them, they have actually put some effort into R&D of their products, but they are MLM just the same. Only those at the top make the big bucks.

Here is the email that Gene sent me.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hi Andy,

Yes I saw the Puffin Site that is bashing me and my company and I would like to set the story strait, First of all the www.CEOMLM.com site and program is not a pyramid scheme, this was a company that was formed for someone else that backed out because of only finacial difficulties.
This company is far away from any so called pyramid scheme (a pyramid scheme generally happened approx 10- 15 years ago in were people weren't selling any products they would buy positioning in a pyramid and depending were you were in the pyramid the more money you would make but there were losers at the end of this who lost all there money.

In a legal multi-level marketing Company like CEO there are NO losers you get product at or below market value and you have the opportunity of making money while trying different cigars and if you like it you could refer someone or just drop out and get a full REFUND.

These similar programs or clubs go on everyday at any of your major or local on-line cigar stores there called cigar clubs in were you get cigars automatically sent to you every month, the only thing different with our club is that you have the ability to make money with it if you choose to.

If you go into the website of CEOMLM.COM you will read all the legal rules and regulations which were drawn up by legal council to make it legal and to mainly protect the customer. The reason this was started was because I would get tons of questions of "how could I do what you do and make money smoking cigars"?, or "times are tough now and I wish I had some extra money to buy a few more cigars this week" after hearing these comments and many other similar comments I thought this program would be great for these people and the cigar industry overall, now I understand it might not be for everyone but its a great program and should not be scrutinized at all.

I would never do anything to hurt the cigar world, its my passion and my life, I work morning till night on trying to always come up with better ways to blend or build cigars or to help educate my brothers in the cigar world, I even take approx. 350 people to my complex every year free of charge for 4 days, they stay in our house we pay for the lodging, food, liquor, all the cigars you could smoke, and transportation of the tour and to and from the airport; We do this yes to promote our brand but to also to give the cigar community a better appreciation for how a quality hand made cigar is build from seed to cigar, and yes we let the people (our diplomats) purchase a limited amount of cigars that you can't buy here in the states at a discount just like you could do when you go to the Hershey chocolate factory tour etc.... Its min. you could only take back 150 cigars into the united States.

I sent over a response yesterday on the Puffin website when I was made aware of this and to have them call me and left a telephone number for them to call but NO response, that's sad that they didn't even have the decency to call me. And they mentioned that I hushed them away when they asked me at someone elses event about the CEO program and they said I denied that I was part of the business end and just built the cigars for the company, well they were correct I did that because that was originally my main purpose and responsibility of my partnership agreement, was to do what I know best and build the cigars for CEO, then they said that I didn't talk about it and that was correct, I make it a policy that when I am at a persons store or event that I am there helping them permote there store and products and I will never talk about other cigar stores or clubs while I am in there House, I feel that would be very disrespectful and I wouldn't go there with anyone, thats why I didn't want to elaborate there about CEO, it was for no other reason.

I Think people should look at the CEO website and see what its all about and if anyone has any interest of running it full or part time to please contact me at anytime, or if anyone has ANY questions about this or the free dominican trips you could always call my office at 401-622-4505 and speak directly to me, I have always and will always make myself available to any of my brothers of the leaf.

Thank you,
Sincerely,
Gene Arganese

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gene told me he is out and not even making the cigars anymore. It is an old idea. He also didn't start his on his own, he was approached. As a matter of fact, the CEOMLM itself is for sale. Gene only cares about the cigar smokers and making a fine cigar.

I'm hosting a herf at my house next week. No strings. I'll even provide the cigars. They're from a new line I'm pitching...uh...trying. See you there.

I don't really think it's shady or anything. It's just Avon for cigars. I know a lot of Women get into the whole Avon thing just to get discounts on the makeup and host parties and such. It's more of a club than a business for most of them. I think that's what he's trying to do here. It seems like he's just trying to leverage the grassroots effect that Avon and other reputable MLM companies has had success with. I won't be signing up or anything (cigar passes and Herfs are a much better way to sample cigars in my honest opinion), but I don't see anything wrong with this. I do think that paying a monthly bill to sample cigars is a bit silly, but to each his own I guess.

The way I look at it, a lot of really reputable businesses started out this way and never did anything illegal or shady at all. It's just not for everyone that's all:

- Avon
- Mary Kay
- Tupperware
- Amway

MLM's are bad except for those at the top of the pyramid. And Yes, Amway, Avon etc. are all pyramids that have products to go along with them, they have actually put some effort into R&D of their products, but they are MLM just the same. Only those at the top make the big bucks.

Not in any way defending the Arganese "opportunity", but how does one make it to the "top" of any MLM organization where the big money is?

I stumbled upon that story on Puffin Cigars and was about to post it here, until I saw and read this thread.

Sorry, but I'm not exactly convinced by that email. ESPECIALLY considering how he's deflected and outright lied about the CEO question before, and plenty of other rumors of shady marketting practics and the company being in hot water.

I haven't had an Arganese cigars. I don't plan to buy any in the future, either.

Not in any way defending the Arganese "opportunity", but how does one make it to the "top" of any MLM organization where the big money is?

Usually, you start the company.....or have a whole ton of gullible friends who in turn have more gullible friends......

Usually, you start the company.....or have a whole ton of gullible friends who in turn have more gullible friends......
Well, not necessarily. Although I agree you have to get in on the action fairly early, you do not have to be one the "first" to get in on the money. My uncle is involved in a energy company which uses MLM marketing and has worked his way up to the #3 salesman for the company. And yes, he makes a stupid amount of money. But he didn't really start from the top of the company. If you work them extremely hard, some of the good MLM companies can still be profitable.

Just IMHO....

Granted, the owners of the company likely stand to make the most as proprietors of any business generally do. As for people who join the business and just have a lot of "gullible friends," if the business model or products are garbage, I'd expect it would be very difficult to get to the "top" due to all the foreseeable attrition from those who decide it just doesn't work. The reality is that anyone that makes a respectable income in one of these companies had to put a lot of time and effort into building a stable organization. It's actually one of the only business models that rewards people equitably for their efforts.

Well, not necessarily. Although I agree you have to get in on the action fairly early, you do not have to be one the "first" to get in on the money. My uncle is involved in a energy company which uses MLM marketing and has worked his way up to the #3 salesman for the company. And yes, he makes a stupid amount of money. But he didn't really start from the top of the company. If you work them extremely hard, some of the good MLM companies can still be profitable.

Just IMHO....

Ambit?