• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best band of all time?

AVB said:
Man, you need to listen to more Hendrix. ;)

BigMacFU said:
If we were going for straight up skillz on the guitar, well then, Stevie Ray Vaughn would probably be number one.
[snapback]206183[/snapback]​
[snapback]206587[/snapback]​

And Clapton, and Jeff Beck, and Freddy King, if i were to rate them it would be hendrix clapton beck vaughn and king, all great guitarists,

As for who I think the all time great "band" is, Pink Floyd IMHO.

SamClemmons said:
I am amazed that there are not Yes fans out there. These are the best musicians bar none.

NA
[snapback]206349[/snapback]​

Oh, Neal... Horace likes Yes!!! ...and Keith Emerson, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer. ...and Jethro Tull. ...and the Who. and Satriani!!! ...and Santana!!! ...and George Thorogood and the Deleware Destroyers! ...and....

BADLANDS...my current No. 1 Band.

I am tried of zep for now, it is totally out of the rotation and played out. I was in early Queen the past couple of months. I also have been diging Imperial Drag laltly. Anyhow anything form 60',to 1994 I am ok with. Around 95 things started to change to worse... That is where I said there are way to many old good bands that I do not need to listen to the crap on the radio. Do not get me wrong there are good new bands. However, they have 1 good song and the rest of the CD is crap. This is record comapnies fault... They want 1 hit wonders. No record company spends money on developmet of the artist. If you can not sell 500K with your first CD you are out. Also, there is formula in singing of a band. They are pretty much looking for idiots who know how to play 4 cords in a song and do not know how to read a contract. Anyhow, long live rock and roll.

GKR

Rob_k said:
Most influential: Beatles
Best Live tours & Longevity: Metallica
Best musicians: Rush
all IMHO of course
[snapback]206173[/snapback]​

Longevity & tours...throw in a consideration for Aerosmith.

C&R

wam79 said:
AVB said:
Man, you need to listen to more Hendrix.  ;)

BigMacFU said:
If we were going for straight up skillz on the guitar, well then, Stevie Ray Vaughn would probably be number one.
I think both of these guys were awesome. I never saw them live, but I do try to see all the fotage on TV or DVD I can.They never look lost, no matter what they played it just poured out of them.It's a shame both died early.
I would love to here where they would have taken their music as they got older

Bill
[snapback]206598[/snapback]​

Steve Vai gets my vote for best guitarist.

C&R

cigars&rum said:
wam79 said:
AVB said:
Man, you need to listen to more Hendrix.  ;)

BigMacFU said:
I think both of these guys were awesome. I never saw them live, but I do try to see all the fotage on TV or DVD I can.They never look lost, no matter what they played it just poured out of them.It's a shame both died early.
I would love to here where they would have taken their music as they got older

Bill
[snapback]206598[/snapback]​

Steve Vai gets my vote for best guitarist.

C&R
[snapback]206716[/snapback]​

Perhaps for blues based guitar.

I vote for Uli John Roth.

Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Zeppelin, all AMAZING bands.

My own favorite is the Eagles.

Heh! Deadhead. No brainer. Heh!
Sorry LouieNY. Couldn't resist (I've seen my share of Dead shows).

What did one deadhead say to the other when they ran out of weed?
"This music sucks!"

This is a loaded question on a couple different levels:

1. I am 30, and I am sure that puts me in the bottom 1/3 of active members where age is the factor. A lot of the FOG's here are well into there, well to be nice, late 40's. Hence all the old bands getting the nod. No one can argue against the Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Zep, Hendrix.... These groups of people defined the genre.

2. "The Best band of all time" isn't very well defined. Musically, longevity, album sales, sounds the best live and in the studio, influenced the most social change, or just personal favorite?

I am going going to say U2. U2 have prooven themselves musically, lyrically, by longevity, album sales, live concerts, socially viable, and my personal favorite. In addition to this, they continue to change the way they sound, without changing their sound. Let face it, when you hear The Edge play guitar, there is no doubt as to who is wailing out those beautiful sounds. You all can banter over the old bands, but in my mind, this band has everything and then some.

Emo

I already stated the Social Distortion is the greatest rock band in the world....but the greatest band in the world period is Black Sabbath...I think no one mentioned them at all.

Was Glen Miller a band or an orchestra?

golfgar said:
Was Glen Miller a band or an orchestra?
[snapback]207394[/snapback]​

Both.

BTW, My father played in the Glen Miller Army Air Corp Band. :p