• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolidor

Okay I added the water yesterday, and I checked the hygrometer today and it is at 59%. I wonder if I should add the other 1/2 pound of beads. Or do I need to let the coolidor sit awhile to acclimate. ???

Try putting a small dish of water in the bottom for a couple of days. All the cedar is going to soak up a lot of moisture. Watch your guage, when the humidity gets to where you want it take the dish out. From there on the beads should control everything.
As to adding the other 1/2 lb of beads, the more beads the longer between water refills. Your choice. ;)

What Wascal said! A cooler that size, and the amout of dead trees you got goin' in there, I would use both of the 1/2lb's of beads!

Digital. I have calibrated it using the salt method. I am sure of it's, effectiveness.

When you say that you used the salt bag method do you mean putting some salt in a cap with a few drops of water and letting the hygrometer and salt sit in a bag for 6 hours? I wasn't aware that digital hygrometers needed to be calibrated.

Also, what is the advantage of using a coolidor over a regular humidor???

Thanks,

dan

bigdan1173 said:
When you say that you used the salt bag method do you mean putting some salt in a cap with a few drops of water and letting the hygrometer and salt sit in a bag for 6 hours? I wasn't aware that digital hygrometers needed to be calibrated.

Also, what is the advantage of using a coolidor over a regular humidor???

Thanks,

dan
Well the advantages are basically that you can hold alot more cigars at a fraction of the price, A for the salt method, I found that you should calibrate any hygrometer, since they are never accurate. How I did the salt method was add some salt into a small shot glass, and then added water enough to make the salt like a paste but not watery just moist. Then I placed the salt and hygrometer inside of a ziploc baggie. sealed it and then placed the baggy into another baggy and sealed that one. I then left it on the counter, and went to bed, in the morning I checked the hygrometer by looking at it thru the baggie and wrote down the difference my hygrometer was from 75%. One of my hygrometers I checked was about 15% off, so I got rid of that one and I am buying a new one.

Update. I just checked the humidification and it is at 62%. This is after adding a bowl of water on Saturday. So I will check it again on Thursday. I just thought I would let everybody know.

Just padding the post :p

Well just checked the hygrometer and it is at 64%. Well maybe it is going to take a little longer to get to the right level. ???

Okay, I just don't know why the humidity won't stay. I have put 2 containers with 1/2 pound of 65% beads inside. Plus I added a bowl of distilled water to get the humidity to the right level (65%). I then took out the bowl of water when it reached that level, and within 24 hours the humidity has dropped to 62%, it then stays around that level. I have repeatedly replaced the bowl of water to get the level back up, but it just drops when I remove the water. So what the hell is going on. What am I doing wrong here. Anyone? Anyone? Buehler Buehler

Leave the bowl in there bro. Wait until the box climbs above the %65 mark before you take it out. Otherwise it sounds like you have a problem with the seal. I have half a pound to a pound of the %65 media and my fridge is rock steady. I have the media in the drip tray in a wide tuperware dish. Perhaps you didn't give the media enough surface area. Did you bother to season the cedar before putting it in there? If not, it could take a while to get it where you want it.

Emo

I think I have a leak. I just spoke with Vern. I am going down to Home Depot tomorrow and getting some weather stripping, and hopefully that will take care of the leak.

OKAY here is the LAST post in this thread. After speaking to Vern, he advised me to put some weather stripping, but I forgot about it, and yesterday when I checked the coolidor, the humidity has jumped back up to 65% on the nose, and I didn't do a damn thing. No the extra water is not in the coolidor. I have the beads divided into 2 bowls. So what I think was the problem was that I should have let the coolidor stabilize which took about 2 weeks.. Thats it WOOHOO, the damn thing is working great. And just to let anybody know, Vern is very easy to talk to and will work with you to fix the problem :thumbs: :thumbs:

He takes awhile, it probably would be easier to just call his 1-800 number on his website, I always got thru to him.

ParaGod said:
OKAY here is the LAST post in this thread. After speaking to Vern, he advised me to put some weather stripping, but I forgot about it, and yesterday when I checked the coolidor, the humidity has jumped back up to 65% on the nose, and I didn't do a damn thing. No the extra water is not in the coolidor. I have the beads divided into 2 bowls. So what I think was the problem was that I should have let the coolidor stabilize which took about 2 weeks.. Thats it WOOHOO, the damn thing is working great. And just to let anybody know, Vern is very easy to talk to and will work with you to fix the problem :thumbs: :thumbs:
The key to any passive humidifying system is surface area over the humidifiers. More surface area, the quicker it can regulate humidity.

Emo