• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Training Cigar Pass-- For February 07-

Hey Jazz,

Are you going to be updating the puts and takes on the first post?

Puts and Takes on first post has been updated. Please, Please check my work as I may make a mistake as this pass continues. Thanks all for your help and than you NorCalCigarLover for educating us!!! The fun continues!!! :) Bilder may be getting the package on Monday or Tuesday!!

Just an idea... maybe when a cigar is taken, use the strikethrough for the cigar name.

For example...

16. 5 Vegas Casket Strength, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:NorCalCigarLover)
19. 5 Vegas Limitada '06, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T:NorCalCigarLover)

Might make it a little easier on the eyes as you look through the list to see what's there and what's not.

Just an idea... maybe when a cigar is taken, use the strikethrough for the cigar name.

For example...

16. 5 Vegas Casket Strength, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:NorCalCigarLover)
19. 5 Vegas Limitada '06, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T:NorCalCigarLover)

Might make it a little easier on the eyes as you look through the list to see what's there and what's not.

Good idea tomthirtysix!! Your suggestion has been implimented. Thanks!!

Gentleman,

I am going to have to bow out of the pass. I have already PMed Sax to let him know so there hopefully won't be any confusion. My fiance and I found a house and will be closing at the end of the month. With the move coming, I don't want to worry about losing you chaps 50+ cigars, or being a delay. I hope you all understand, and won't hesitate to have me join a pass later.

Thanks for your understanding,

SmokeRiver
Will

Gentleman,

I am going to have to bow out of the pass. I have already PMed Sax to let him know so there hopefully won't be any confusion. My fiance and I found a house and will be closing at the end of the month. With the move coming, I don't want to worry about losing you chaps 50+ cigars, or being a delay. I hope you all understand, and won't hesitate to have me join a pass later.

SmokeRiver
Will

Thanks for the update, and good luck on the move!

Packaged arrived today. I am at work, so I will take a peek and post my puts/takes for approval late tonight. With any luck it will be back on the road tomorrow or Thrusday.

Ok, I did some research on the Mystery Sticks and they are out of my class for now. They look mighty good though!

How about this play:

Take-

9. Gurkha Expedition, Torpedo
12. Gurkha Regent, Torpedo
47. LFD DL Chiselito Maduro

Put-

Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos 5 5/8 x 46
CAO CX2 Robusto 5 x 52
CAO Sopranos Solider 6 x 54

If this meets approval, it will go on to the next person asap.

[...]
Take-

Put-
CAO CX2 Robusto 5 x 52
As a n00|3, (which is I guess why we're having this pass) I will now place both feet in my mouth! :whistling:

I for one, have found the CAO Soprano to be one of the most disappointing and over-hyped smokes I've encountered in my short four year hobby. Don't get me wrong here. I love the TV series. I love cigars. But for all the Sop's chocolate-dyed color, I consider this CAO product to be low on flavor, inconsistent on construction, and (if you will) a dumbed-down mild stick for an audience who is a bit intimidated by cigar stores and welcomes a very mild cigar for their two-stick-a-year cigar habit. On the other hand, if I'm not mistaken the LFD Chisel is La Flor's Double Ligero, a real kick-butt smoke, and close to the benchmark of "do you have the cajones?". If the idea here is basically a stick-to-stick or feature to feature comparison, then I suggest that either that cigar is out of sequence in the trio of swaps, or I'm being a n00|3.

I'll shaddup on the critique now.

(Continuity point about "The Sopranos": One man's opinion, but I've NEVER noticed Tony smoking anything darker than what looks like a Connecticut wrapper. His "mob-boss" character would most probably be smoking ISOMs, and I'm sure the production company's prop dept. either physically or electronically re-bands his sticks to avoid licensing issues. I've paused a few times to ID what looked like a Davidoff band in a few shots, but it had some differences that made me think it was "made up".)

I realize fully that there's hundreds of flavors of ice cream, cigars are a matter of taste, and I hope I have not offended anyone with my comments. If I've broken "pass protocol" here, I promise to take my lumps in a manly fashion.

bilder, the P & T's looks good. Get it ready to ship in my opinion. The only consideration for P & T's is the value for value, habanos for habanos, etc. You have that covered.

Opinions on the sticks (likes and dislikes) are fine, but they do not make or break a trade. I agree with you on the LFDs, I have some double ligero 700s from Mark Twain that will put a hurt on (almost) anyone!!

Quade

Hoping one of those mystery sticks makes it my way.

bilder, the P & T's looks good. Get it ready to ship in my opinion. The only consideration for P & T's is the value for value, habanos for habanos, etc. You have that covered.

Opinions on the sticks (likes and dislikes) are fine, but they do not make or break a trade. I agree with you on the LFDs, I have some double ligero 700s from Mark Twain that will put a hurt on (almost) anyone!!

Quade

Exactly ...... :thumbs:

:cool:

The box will go out in the morning.

Smellysell, you ready to rock?

Quade

Exactly ...... :thumbs:

:cool:

X3 Nice Puts/Takes!

The box will go out in the morning.

Smellysell, you ready to rock?

I'm ready. I need to run to the gas station today and get some Black n Milds though I guess.

edit: I thought I remembered SJM saying he wanted msrp to be posted for all the P/Ts? Are we still doing this?

I've paused a few times to ID
I've done the same thing, and a couple times, I've pegged the brand. Of course, since the last new ep was sometime last decade, I've since forgotten what it was the couple times I could see it.

I messed up.

Ran out the door today and forgot to take the box with me. Will make a run to the post office tonight if I can. If not I will ship it out first thing in the morning. Sorry for the delay.

Gentleman,

SmokeRiver
Will

Dear SmokeRiver,

We will miss you but you enjoy as best as you can your move and new home. We will catch you on the next pass!! Good luck.

SJM

[...]
Take-

Put-
CAO CX2 Robusto 5 x 52
As a n00|3, (which is I guess why we're having this pass) I will now place both feet in my mouth! :whistling:

I for one, have found the CAO Soprano to be one of the most disappointing and over-hyped smokes I've encountered in my short four year hobby. Don't get me wrong here. I love the TV series. I love cigars. But for all the Sop's chocolate-dyed color, I consider this CAO product to be low on flavor, inconsistent on construction, and (if you will) a dumbed-down mild stick for an audience who is a bit intimidated by cigar stores and welcomes a very mild cigar for their two-stick-a-year cigar habit. On the other hand, if I'm not mistaken the LFD Chisel is La Flor's Double Ligero, a real kick-butt smoke, and close to the benchmark of "do you have the cajones?". If the idea here is basically a stick-to-stick or feature to feature comparison, then I suggest that either that cigar is out of sequence in the trio of swaps, or I'm being a n00|3.

I'll shaddup on the critique now.

(Continuity point about "The Sopranos": One man's opinion, but I've NEVER noticed Tony smoking anything darker than what looks like a Connecticut wrapper. His "mob-boss" character would most probably be smoking ISOMs, and I'm sure the production company's prop dept. either physically or electronically re-bands his sticks to avoid licensing issues. I've paused a few times to ID what looked like a Davidoff band in a few shots, but it had some differences that made me think it was "made up".)

I realize fully that there's hundreds of flavors of ice cream, cigars are a matter of taste, and I hope I have not offended anyone with my comments. If I've broken "pass protocol" here, I promise to take my lumps in a manly fashion.

Dear Mdutch,

No, you did not put your foot in your mouth. I think what you are doing is great!! This is what this training pass is all about. If you read some of the old timers on the other past passes in CP Forum you will see that there have been some fireworks on puts and takes. The thing to do if you challenge a put and take is to check the MSRP on the puts and takes. It is not whether we think the cigar is a good one or not but that the value and rarity of the cigar takes relatively matches the puts. In terms of this pass, I do not think rarity or ISOM is an issue due to the type of cigars being passed. The only thing that should be addressed on the this pass would be the MSRP. I think for pratice, if there is a challenge, we should list the MSRP of the puts and takes and see if there is a great discrepancy. I think, and NorCalCigarLover would correct me, if the total value is relatively close the put and takes should work.

In this case, I think they are. Please, you challenging is important to do. If you disagree with me, just list the MSRP of both to prove your point. For Bilder, I would just go with the pass for now to get the box out.

Keep on challenging if you disagree with puts and takes. We are not zombies here. None of us know it all and one of us may just make a mistake with puts and takes and would appreciate it if someone were to tell us. I screwed up on the labeling and packaging of the cigars and NorCalCigarLover set me and us right on that. If one of us makes a mistake on a put or take, being brought to our attention is the way to make it right.

Thanks for your input and keep it coming, one and all. We are learning from this one. This is the one to shout and scream on, to figure out how things are done, and more importantly, how disagreements are handled.

Let this one fly, but, please, let us know if the MSRPs are out of line here. Thanks.

SJM