• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Not Your Everyday Cigar Pass

I know, I know. I poison everything I touch.
Upon further thought, if the pass had always been mailed (not hand delivered between Gry and I) and it had just gone ahead as planned in the first place, it likely wouldn't have gone out until at LEAST thursday, more likely firday. So perhaps I only gave the forum a slight stomach bug, not a full-out poisoning.

Hi Guys,

I just received PMs from grateful1 regarding the Cohiba Reserva PUT from me. I wanted to answer them here in the thread to make the issues and their resolution visible.

1. The printing is mis-registered and not perfect. Absolutely true and this is something I've seen from Cohiba Reserva and 510 Aniversario cigars (Cohiba) from two different reliable vendors. I will PM the sources for all my special Cohiba specimens to anyone in this pass who PMs me. No problem with that.

2. There was no crack in the foot when I sent it, obviously, and if it occurred in subsequent transit, then I could not have foreseen this. I'm pretty sure of this.

If it comes down to an issue of replacing the cigar, I would do that. Alternatively, I could hold the Esplendidos in trust for whomever might want to do a virtual take. I would then send it to that person directly.

Guys, let me know how you think we should proceed.

Wilkey

Wilkey,

Unfortunately we can't forsee damages to cigars do to transit. That's where integrity plays a huge role. Was it an accident or intentional? In your case.... I believe shipping accidents happen . If someone is collecting that smoke, I suggest they find it somewhere else now. If they are going to smoke it... it won't hurt a thing. Again... just my opinion.

I would be concerned that the stick could get more damaged as the pass goes forward. Maybe an extra baggie around it or something to protect it.
I believe the stick got damaged during transit between Gary and myself. I did check the sticks for damage when I got the package but I did not scrutinize the stick in question. So it is possible there was some damage but I doubt it did.
-Rob

-Rob

How about this?

Since grateful1 found the damaged stick, I would offer that he could keep it as my gift to him. I don't want this cigar to travel and sustain even more damage making it unsmokeable. I will then put the Cohiba Esplendidos back in play available for TAKE. Additionally, whomever then TAKEs the Esplendidos will get and extra stick for the additional trouble.

Andy, I sincerely apologize for the ruckus. I'll do whatever you and the guys advise needs be done to get the pass on track.

Wilkey

Wilkey, it really is a generous offer.
I do not think you should be penalized for this.
At the most switch the one cigar, it is completely unnecessary to give another cigar!
Just my opinion.

-Rob

I agree with Cohibasurfer, in that a crack at the foot like that will not harm the smoking experience, so I'd personally be OK with it like that. But if someone is planning on taking it as a collectible than it might be different. I thought cigars were for smoking! ;)

I agree with Cohibasurfer, in that a crack at the foot like that will not harm the smoking experience, so I'd personally be OK with it like that. But if someone is planning on taking it as a collectible than it might be different. I thought cigars were for smoking! ;)

Was anyone going to take the Cohiba Reserva for smoking?

If not - I suggest this...I'll take it as part of my Puts and Takes (BD has to tell me how much it's worth :p )...

and I'll smoke it...along with a review.

I'll be out this afternoon and won't be back to a PC until tonight.

I know, I know. I poison everything I touch. <snip>
I was just bustin your balls. :p

Was anyone going to take the Cohiba Reserva for smoking?

If not - I suggest this...I'll take it as part of my Puts and Takes (BD has to tell me how much it's worth :p )...

and I'll smoke it...along with a review.

I'll be out this afternoon and won't be back to a PC until tonight.
Well, it doesn't really matter if anyone else was hoping to take that cigar if you are up. :whistling:

And I would estimate between $25 and $30. I was just looking at a box price and splitting it evenly between all sticks, but some are more highly valued than others. I would guess the robusto is more middle of the road to lower in value than say the Esplendido or Piramides. The DC you pinged me on earlier would definitely cover it.

Hope that helps.

Cracked foot....

band.....

?

I'll be on later to see if there are any questions.
I also have shots of the full box I picked up in Dec 04. I could take some shots of the individual sticks...if anyone is interested let me know.

Thanks for the info BD. :thumbs:

This post appears to be after the fact because Gary has indicated he may (or will) take the stick.

Gary, if you decide not to take it, wrap it up with my name on it and I'll torch that baby 2 days after resting in 65% RH

Wilkey, your proposed gesture is very admirable.

Brian

Gentlemen,

I want to make sure that this situation is resolved to the satisfaction of all the participants. Several things are at stake and it's important that everyone's concerns and questions are settled.

First, my foremost concern is that the integrity of this pass is preserved.

Second, I want to make it clear that I consider it a privilege to be selected for this pass. I would not abuse that trust by putting a stick that was even remotely questionable. In fact I've long since given away both the Piramides and the Esplendidos from this set to two of the finest and most discerning brothers on this forum. I've kept the Coronas Especiales and the Media Coronas.

These two issues are intimately related as I consider a man as good as his reputation and a good reputation is something that I strive to develop. I say "develop" instead of "achieve" because a reputation is a living thing that is constantly evolving under the scrutiny of an entire community.

I hope you can forgive my obsessing but I am bugged that this snafu happened on my watch, involving a stick I put. I'm really quite chagrined.

Wilkey

"chagrined" - wow...don't get to use that everyday, now do we!!

It's all good by me, Wilkey.
I'm sure this bunch isn't shy about speaking up!
<Don't let it happen again... :sign: >

Tomorrow I have to get another ziploc box - to many smokes in the two we have :thumbs: - and go over the final P/T's when Josh comes over.

note - I posted the photos for reference...for this pass and others.

T: HdM EL 2003 - P: Taboado Double Robusto LCDH TJ 2006
T: PL Lonsdale - P: San Cristobal 5th Anny Oficios
T: Boris 11 - P: Davidoff Millenium Robust

P:pSD3 EL 2006

How does this look guys?

ok - I had some FOG help tonight....I don't know rarity well...so it's been trying...and I've learned a lot.
I simple just don't know rarity...yet.

Wilkey passing out fakes, what has the world come to? :)

You know I was just thinking last night after reading this that if we are questioning the integrity of Wilkeys cigars the whole world is coming to an end.

If he says its legit, thats enough for me!!

Now hurry up and get this thing to me I'm chomping at the bit!!!!

You know I was just thinking last night after reading this that if we are questioning the integrity of Wilkeys cigars the whole world is coming to an end.

That's one of the worst band defects I've ever seen.

T: HdM EL 2003 - P: Taboado Double Robusto LCDH TJ 2006
T: PL Lonsdale - P: San Cristobal 5th Anny Oficios
T: Boris 11 - P: Davidoff Millenium Robust

P:pSD3 EL 2006

How does this look guys?

ok - I had some FOG help tonight....I don't know rarity well...so it's been trying...and I've learned a lot.
I simple just don't know rarity...yet.

Alrighty...I'm not doing the PLL.

I left the Cohiba Reserva in the box.

If all looks well with the rest of my P/T's...this will go out this afternoon.

Again - thanks to all that offered input. I now know more of what to expect in the world of cigars!!!

Who ever gets the PLL - if you care to part with it ... :whistling: !

That's one of the worst band defects I've ever seen.

I agree. In fact, when I received these cigars, I contacted the vendor immediately. I do not have reason to doubt the authenticity of these cigars but I am as flabbergasted as anyone.

I've gone through a lot of Padron cigars over the years and never have I encountered anything even close to this. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an imperfect Padron band of any kind.

The appearance of having PUT a fake is bad enough. But PUTTING a damaged fake? Now you can see why I'm so beside myself.

Wilkey

Wilkey,

how dare you give me a history lesson, a geography lesson, a grammatical lesson and a word appreciation lesson all rolled into one. ???

You have insulted my intelligence. I mean,come on - chagrined. WTF, why can't you be like any normal person and say "humiliated" :whistling:

You make it so hard for a brother to read your posts. One eye on the screen, one eye on the dictionary :laugh:

Oh and BTW, what are you trying to pull with that f... upped stick you put in the bag? :p

Brian