• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The blind taste test thread

Alright, let's get this thing back on track. Let's get a status report from those who we haven't heard from.

Will burn one before the weekend! No excuses this week.
Bring on the antifreeze!

Looking back I noticed I didn't post a review of the other one.

sorry lum, thought I had.

Well, the first thing you notice about this cigar, is the wrapper is just an odd color. It's almost grey. It has two caps, and the constrution looks good enough. the cigars smell, was lacking. Nothing really popping out there.

I cut the cigar and began to smoke. Very light smoke. Almost no taste at first. Next I notice it was just a sour taste, and also the smell was a little terrible, and for a cigar smoker to comment on a cigar smelling bad, well, it's bad!

The burn got un even, and even, then un even, pretty weird. It got hot very quickly and again, the tastes got worse.

This was probably a cigar I'd never smoke again. I'd love to know what it was lum, I'll never smoke one again! lol

Ash was dark grey. Not really that strong.

I'd give this cigar a 4 out of 10.

Bad tastes, bad burn, bad cigar... :(

Alright, Review for #3:

Aesthetics: beautiful dark wrapper (not sure if maduro) with only two major veins.

Pre-light aroma: great aroma, a little bit of a coffee to it.

Post-light aroma: great smell to the smoke

Ash: WOW, all I can say is that this cigar was very well constructed (had me thinking cuban), the ash was between 1/4 and 1/3 the cigar. The burn was perfectly even all the way until the end (no tunneling or peaking) when I needed to relight. Color of the ash for those who care was fairly white with spots of grey and black in certain areas.

Flavor: The first 3/4's of the cigar had little to no flavor, extremely mild (reminded me of some Fonseca Cubans I have), not what I expected with the dark wrapper. I only drank water so as to get the full taste. The last 1/4 though, the cigar came alive, cocoa, leather, a "deep" wood (not like a fresh or spring wood, but aged if you will), and pepper, great spice. Since most of the cigar didn't have much flavor, I really enjoyed the last 1/4.

General Impression: This could definitely be an early afternoon cigar after a light lunch (like I had). Even though there wasn't much flavor to the first 3/4's, the aroma of the smoke produced was terrific. That last 1/4 was a great surprise though and really finished the cigar nicely. 6.75 out of 10

And now for the pictures:

47830953_9bab3d90b0.jpg

47830794_6f136a77b4.jpg

47830533_d2197d6549.jpg

47830402_8ccbf69d04.jpg

47830279_2ab21854e8.jpg

That is a nice looking cigar. Looks like the Edge Toro.

From the Desk of Cletus
Review of #38

Shape - Petit corona

Appearance - Light Tan wrapper with small veins.
The oddest thing, the wrapper was patched with a ¼ inch x ½ inch square.

Construction - The cap seemed like it had wax on it, when I scratched it with fingernail it turned white like wax . Average Construction. Foot was loose.

Burned even all the way. Never got hot on me.
Smoke was full bodied.

Ash- Started out white and turned grayish white as it progressed. The first ash lasted almost an inch. It became flaky as I got into it.

Draw - Just firm enough. The type I enjoy.

Taste - The prelight draw had a toasty flavor. I lit it up, strong chemical taste.
It started to get a little better, but never improved to my taste.

Overall- It was one of the worst smokes I ever had, It reminded me of a cigar that had been left out of the humi too long, and then tried to be brought back to life. Very Stale.
Would not recommend, But I’m kind of a Snob.

Guess- Philly Blunt Seconds

One new identity revealed. Thanks guys!

I'll check back over the thread and see if cigardawg and LC-SMoker edited their posts for their second reviews.

JC

Second new identity revealed after seraching back through the thread.

Both guessed Rocky Patel on the RP Vintage seconds, though kevpriest guessed guessed on sight, but according to him it tasted different.

Yeah, it definitely tasted different to me. Way to much acidity, like it was in its "sick period". BTW, what's up with there being 2 number 40s in the reveal?

kevpriest said:
Yeah, it definitely tasted different to me. Way to much acidity, like it was in its "sick period". BTW, what's up with there being 2 number 40s in the reveal?
[snapback]231683[/snapback]​

That's because I live in a parallel universe where the same number can represent by two objects.

Fixed.

Alright, review for #44:

This was a lonsdale or long corona size, with a medium-dark colored wrapper. No clue what it was, possibly a Sancho Panza Double Maduro.

Pre-light aroma: nice dark woody aroma.

Construction: 1 vein, pre-punched (did you do that Lumby or your cigar shop?). The burn started out uneven for the first half, then finally evened out half-way through. The initial ash was weak, at best 3/4's of an inch.

Draw: Perfect, just a little bit of resistance.

Ash: White-Smokey Gray, occasional black spotting.

Flavor: The first bit was spicy, but smoothed out towards the middle with a little bit of leather and a solid dark wood flavor. Toward the end it picked back up the spiciness, but also had hints of raspberry and coffee.

Overall: I'd smoke this cigar again, not everyday, but a decent smoke that could help relax after a mild day. I'd give it an 83 out of 100.

And now onto the pictures:
50375458_2316f93217.jpg

50375204_c3a12972ef.jpg

50375096_404e327c6a.jpg

50375004_00927840d5.jpg

Thanks so much Lumberg for putting this together and letting me participate. Once I find out what I was actually smoking I'll have two more smokes to maybe keep a few around of.

Thanks for the update. I will check the spreadsheet (which as I said before I keep on my office computer).

I think I punched that one myself, but I am not sure. For ittle bit I got into the habit of prepunching some cigars so I wouldn't have to worry about it when I took it out to smoke. That was when I used to be busy and was trying to save time whenever possible. Since then I don't do it anymore because that's part of the ritual of starting a smoke. I hope it didn't diminish your enjoyment of the cigar.

Lumberg said:
For ittle bit I got into the habit of prepunching some cigars so I wouldn't have to worry about it when I took it out to smoke. That was when I used to be busy and was trying to save time whenever possible.
[snapback]235515[/snapback]​

How much time does that actually save?

Any update on these yet? I would like to know what I smoked!

we're waiting on the final pieces of the puzzle.

I guess I'll PM some people.

Yeah, it looks like we're missing a big block in the middle, like 21-38!

Oh well, all in due time.

Sorry for the delay. I will get my last one done tonight or at the weekly C'ville herf tomorrow night.

Patrick