• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The blind taste test thread

For some reason the edit function has been taken out, so I will have to make another post to report the results of the other cigar I had to smoke.

Pre-Smoke
This has got to be one of the ugliest cigar wrappers I have ever seen. It looked like a brindle bull. It's main color was a greenish brown with veins of brown through out the cigar. Other than that construction was just ok. Wasn't impressed with the quality of the wrapper roll. The shape was a torp and pre draw was just right for me.

Smoke
This one didn't start out pretty from the very start. Taste was acrid and not very flavorful. Then a few minutes into the smoke, the acrid taste mellowed and it started to taste more like a cigar should. A kinda of toasty taste, but still with acrid taste hints. The draw was pretty close to what I like in a cigar. Though it could be a little bettter. After that intial tasting shock the smoke stayed pretty consistent through out.

Impressions
Probably wouldn't ever buy this cigar on my own after this one. However if someone gave me one to smoke, I guess I could do it again.

Review for Cigar #10

Construction was good. It was a nice firm cigar, the wrapper was smoothe without many veins or imperfections. The appearance was another story. I'm not sure what causes this, but there were black dots/splotches all over this cigar. I don't think it was any kind of mold, since they would not rub off.

The prelight draw was quite firm, and tasted rather spicy, as if I had just put a jalepeno in my mouth! I'm not sure how to describe the taste other than that it was heavy. It seemed like a rather full-bodied smoke that burned hot from the start. Other than it burning hot, it's not that the taste or experience was bad, it was just different. If one likes full bodies cigars this one would be for them. It burned even, with the ash staying on for about an inch to 1.5 inches. There was a slight breeze outside which could account for the ash length being short.

I would give this a mid 80's rating. I certainly wouldn't turn one down if offered, however I won't be rushing to the store to buy a box!

And thanks again for the chance to review, and for the two free smokes!

I forgot to add for cigar #10 above, it was 4.5 inches long and about a 49-50 ring gauge.

Gonz said:
I'm not sure what causes this, but there were black dots/splotches all over this cigar. I don't think it was any kind of mold, since they would not rub off.
[snapback]224245[/snapback]​

I had this on a box of Padron 2000 Maduros. They still tasted great? Is it the sun that causes this? Anyone? :whistling:

Review for Cigar #30

I finally got around to reviewing the second cigar tonight. Been a busy week and just havent had trouble to sit down and give it the time needed. I poured myself a glass of Laphroaig 10 year old and put flame to this cigar.

This cigar is around 5" and 40 to 44 ring gauge. It had a very light brown wrapper and a very sily smooth wrapper. Construction was firm with a little give when squeezed.

I snipped the cigar and took a prelight nose. It was of sweet hay and tobacco. The prelight draw was a little snug but I actually perfer a little tighter draw.

I put flame to the cigar and took the first draw. The sweet hay taste stayed and the tobacco taste came to the front. This stayed pretty much the whole way through. The ash held for an inch and half each time it fell. The smoke was pretty much one dimessional and never really changed on me. The taste was pretty pleasent but I would have liked for a little more complexity to the smoke. The burn was razor sharp all the way down.

Overall I would rank this a middle of the road cigar. The taste was pleasent but it just wasn't complex enough for a premium smoke.

Appearance - 8
Construction - 9
Taste - 6 (only because it was so one dimensional)
Burn - 9
Overall Experience - 8

Brandon

OK guys new revelation: 9 & 10 are AF Chateau Fuente Sungrowns.

Still M.I.A. are:

Let's get smoking!

Jeffro600 said:
Have you reveiled #1 or 47 yet?
[snapback]225807[/snapback]​

I hope this is the last time I have to post this:

Identity revelations are all listed in the first post of the thread, and it is updated as new information comes in.

Please only post reviews/receipts on this thread. There is another thread for comments/questions/flames/post padding.

somked # 25

churchill (7 x 50)

dark wrapper. maybe dark natural or a lighter maduro. very few veins, but not shallow. very balaced when rolled in my hand. prelight draw was was great. not too tight, not to loose. burned almost perfect throughout. the first third tasted a little harsh and spicy, but not too bad. by half way, it was a very smooth woody flavored smoke. on CA scale, i give it 82

thanks for letting me participate!

Heading out to smoke # 39 right now. Will edit this post with my review later.

Stick measured 5 3/8 (approximately) and had about a 50 to 52 ring gauge. Mottled maduro wrapper, pretty dark. There were no veins to speak of and the seams appreared to be well applied. The cigar felt good in the hand and from a visual, seemed to be packed well. The pre-light nose was very earthy, with tons of peat and fresh-mulch smells. Nice. The pre-light draw was very open.

The cigar lit easily and the draw stayed very open. The cigar produced copious mouthfuls of thick, rich smoke with each and every puff. The burn was even until just past 1/2 way. It got uneven, but I left it alone and it straightened itself right our. The ash was firm and very white. The open draw led to the cigar burning just a little hot and it even tunneled at one point. Just got the wrapper going again and the problem was solved.

The tons of smoke that billowed out of this cigar made the tasting easy. Initially, there was a ton of earth on the palate with a backer of coffee. The earth stayed big and the coffee increased just a bit. There was no youngness to this cigar...it was obviously aged an adequate amount of time before hitting the shelf. The smoke was medium-to-full bobied to my palate. At around the 1/2 way mark, the coffe increased even more and some of the earth was replaced with a charred wood flavor. The cigar ended with more charred wood and the coffee intensified to a nice espresso. Good tasting cigar.

The only problem that I found with this cigar at all was the too-open-draw. It allowed it to tunnel and burned a little hot. It mostly just took some management and everything was fine. I give this cigar a solid B+. If I had to guess, I would have to think it was something like a Rocky Patel Edge Maduro Robusto, but I don't think these were out yet. That is, however, what the smoke reminded me of.

I saw jcpyro viewing this thread a few minutes ago, but don't see any posts by him.

Hello? Did you not get your sticks? What's going on?

No replies from BigMacFU either.

cletus supposedly has his sticks (sent to him care of cigarsarge) but no word from him.

LC-Smoker has his sticks, but no reviews forthcoming.

BurningDoDo checked in to say he got the sticks, but nothing from him

Same for KayakinBoy

Only other outstanding review I can find is cigardawgs, which presumably will be up soon.

cigar #33

pre-light observations:
my first impression was that this was an af 858 from size and color. it had a slight greenish color to its light tan wrapper. there were a couple veins that ran though the stick. the aroma was fairly mild intoxicating with hints of light cocoa and pungent fruit preserves. rolled easy in the hand and was slightly spongey. it clipped easy with a double blade.

post-light obsesrvations:
the burn was fairly even and held ash for about 2 inches before it fell. it was mellowy sweet from start to finish but became a little soft towards the end.

overall impression:
this was a very pleasant cigar and very subtle. it's a good everyday'er. i would recommend it as such. i'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

i want to thank lumberg for the sticks. it's been fun and educating learning about them and i can't wait for the final reveal.

ps. by the way, i reviewed cigar #21 on post #54 on 8/29. i have been late with this one as i had it a couple weeks ago.

Lumberg said:
cletus supposedly has his sticks (sent to him care of cigarsarge) but no word from him.

[snapback]226156[/snapback]​

cletus DOES have his smokes. What does "supposedly" mean? Are you saying I failed to give him his smokes or are you saying I stole them? If you had any questions as to whether he had them or not all you had to do was ask. I think you need to clairfy just what you mean.

Lumpy, you need to put up or STFU before you make your suggestive posts about a well respected member of this community. What proof do you even have to back up your comment?

Personally, I think you've gotten a little too big for your britches and you need to be put in your place. You come in here posting like you own the damn place, telling people who work for a living what to do, when to smoke their cigar, etc. Who the fock are you? Not everyone drops everything they're doing to do reviews!

I'm curious to hear what you have to say on this, so please enlighten us all.

Lumberg said:
I saw jcpyro viewing this thread a few minutes ago, but don't see any posts by him.

Hello? Did you not get your sticks? What's going on?

No replies from BigMacFU either.

LC-Smoker has his sticks, but no reviews forthcoming.

BurningDoDo checked in to say he got the sticks, but nothing from him

Same for KayakinBoy

Only other outstanding review I can find is cigardawgs, which presumably will be up soon.
[snapback]226156[/snapback]​
WTF
why can't you just say
"only a few more reviews and I can list all the identities
Let's get it done everybody" or something to that effect

Why name the guys like they did something wrong
BS insinuations
You started this saying "make it fun"
now you sound like it's a chore that the guys aren't doing
Cripes what a putz

Bill

Bottom line, Lumpy's little review thread and sent smokes were a smokescreen to attempt to salvage what's left of his already tainted reputation....

Remember the comments about our service men and women dying in the line of duty, Lumpy??

I'm sure I can find the thread for you.

I think many of us are still waiting on a response here. What are you insinuating about Sarge, Lumpy??

Pretty sad that someone sends out free cigars for reviews, then forces them to smoke them ASAP. Bad form.

wam79 said:
WTF
why can't you just say
"only a few more reviews and I can list all the identities
Let's get it done everybody" or something to that effect

Why name the guys like they did something wrong
BS insinuations
You started this saying "make it fun"
now you sound like it's a chore that the guys aren't doing

[snapback]226462[/snapback]​

Lumberg, I agree with Bill 100%.

The original idea was a good concept and I was glad to participate in something that looked to be a fun enterprise. But I have to say that you've been totally anal about the entire process. Who can post in the thread, what they can post, how many posts, etc. I tried to ignore all this BS, but then you smacked down Jeffro600 in post #88 and now this. Totally inappropriate IMHO.

I know you incurred some substantial cost in sending out all of these cigars, and I know you wanted this to be a good experience for everyone, but you gotta lighten up.

I apologize to the participants in this taste test for my brusqueness. I got caught up in the desire to reveal the identities of the smokes, and my desire for closure. I am sorry.

As far as being anal about the procedures, I am trying to make this process as smooth as possible; it's a pretty large undertaking, and I would like certain rules to be followed to make it more convenient for me to keep track of things. This is my first time doing something like this, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. If you have ideas on how to make it go smoother, feel free to make suggestions.

cigarsarge, I already responded to you via PM, but here is a public apology. I used the wrong words. I just meant that I would like to hear from cletus, if just to check in. I'm sorry.

Back