• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The everlasting gobstopper pass

Browndevil and Tre...i will assume that you guys want to be alternates unless you tell me otherwise.

There's your waiting list, Bill.

psyktek said:
I can appreciate folks commenting on what they perceive as inequity in this pass, but I have to echo Marc on this: we all read (OK, I won't generalize) I read the rules of the pass from the beginning, and was fine with the structure. I'm assuming (always a risky business, I know), that everyone else read and understood the setup.

I guess what I'm REALLY having trouble with is the concern of the pass critics ( and there seema to be more and more of them with each pass) feeling that the members of the pass don't have the intelligence to get off a hot stove! Sometimes it's phrased nicely, other times it has the snideness, sarcasm and sneering superiority that you see in gibu's post.

I propose that when someone sees something out of line with a pass, they take the trouble to pm the person involved, pass host or otherwise, and check out whether anyone else is getting bothered.

gibu and dixie, I don't have any personal issues with either of you, but what you've posted is damned insulting, and I find myself getting angrier as I type this.

I've been on this board for a couple of years now, and I can't EVER recall this level of condescension and suspicion before. What the F**K is happening to this place???
[snapback]153853[/snapback]​

Bob,

If you don't have issue with it, that's cool :thumbs: We just disagree :)

I look at it like this: In every other pass we've ever had, the pass starter gets his spoils once his pass comes home. Why then in this pass does Barney get his spoils DURING the pass? Why not wait until the end?

Honestly, would you have put yourself in the front or back of the list if this were your pass? You're a self-proclaimed cheap old bastard, but I have experienced your generosity and consider you to be a fine BOTL. Based on interacting with you for a year and a half I seriously doubt you would have.

Cheers,
Dixie

Dixie,

I guess what we're thinking that this is not one long pass, rather, numerous passes. At the end of each, the host gets to determine the cigars for the next host and pull out the extras.

Gregor

I look at it like it is a bunch of mini-passes in a whole big pass. Barney started it off and he took his cigars. This time gregor starts it off and he takes his when it comes back. etc etc etc. It's not that hard to understand guys. Everyone is always ASSuming and not asking questions, which is rather sad.

The reason for the penalty stick was because of how many players are involved and the need to get it back out ASAP, not sitting at someone's house for a week at a time, if at all possible.

"Penalty stick" rule was added AFTER many if not all people signed up. You may think it's a great idea but the point is ya can't change the rules in the middle of the game, it's just plain not fair. The pros and cons of the penalty stick angle on this have been debated and even Barney agreed to remove it.

All I can say is that anyone who doesn't very quickly realize that this pass was began with the intention of benefitting the originator and only the originator really hasn't looked at things very closely or really done any math at all on this thing, period. If anyone else manages to benefit from it then that's just a side effect really and has nothing to do with how the original concept was designed. Think pyramid.

Members only participating in our community with the intention of getting ahead at the expense of other members really is one of the things that has gone so terribly wrong with our site here.

Anyone who wants to help the guy out with that is perfectly free to do so. And as long as your being so generous perhaps you could help the guy get a free ipod as well. :thumbs:

New York (moki) to California (Barney) ain't exactly the most efficient pass order. Hell that's even worse than the North Carolina to Connecticut to Mississippi to New Jersey fiasco :0 I suspect Barney figured moki would be overly generous as usual.

But who am I to criticize........

An interesting observation though. Nice pass order Barney, you made out well ;)

Gonna add my two cents worth here. First let me state I have no problem with anyone here. Everyone has their opinions and I respect each one. What happened with CC on the wine and the pass was unfortunate. I don't know what motivated Barney or CC in those incidents. I was in the Gobbstopper Pass in the first round. I willingly played by the rules and was happy to do so. I dropped out on the second round because of all the bad blood that seems to be developing out of passes. I don't know if I will participate in passes anymore but that is not the point of this post. I will say I have done business with Barney several times and have been pleased with the results. He did make one mistake once in a transaction when my cigars made a brief stop in sunny Las Vegas. :D That was corrected quickly and ended up with good results. I've never done business with CC but would do so in a heartbeat. His input has helped make this board what it is. I guess what I'm trying to say is lets resolve our differences. I would like to believe any inproperity in the goings on here is unintentional and and can be worked out. Lets get back to being the friendly place this board can be.

Peace out

Ken

And as an additional bonus for Moki he gets to add cigars for everyone else in the pass until it's finally his turn to be the "gob benificiary" some time next decade. I'm sure his take when the time comes will be just as good as Serebig's was. In the unlikely event that it begins to look like it won't be though, perhaps he can make a post something along these lines.
servebig said:
hey folks just a reminder here...i put 25 great cigars in there and it looks as if when this thing makes it back around and goes out again i will get..ummmmmmmm about 25 cigars. so for those of you that appreciate my initial efforts, remember this ok? :D ;)

barney
[snapback]130431[/snapback]​

And look at poor Montes listing on the first post of this thread. The poor, poor guy was labeled as a lame licker. How cruel! :angry2: How many of you would like to forever be known as a lame licker?? How embarrasing!! :blush:
Gregor22 took 1 lick
Cigaroholic took 1 lick
Backslide420 took 1 lick
Pshktek took 1 lick
MarcSheldon took 1 lick
Texasaggie took 1 lick
Pepe took 1 lick
Rnccen took 1 lick
Cigarsarge took 1 lick
Dixie took 1 lick
Surferonthecrystalcoast took 1 lick
Coventrycat dishonored the gob
Cvmfour took 1 lick
S0ber took 1 lick
Monte took a lame lick
Fast4dr took 1 lick
Other1 may have gotten germs on the gob
Kingpin hopefully in next go round
moki can lick my gob anytime

While were at it, heres something else I posted over a month ago. A little something I found pinned at the top of the open cigar passes section. Not that it has any relevence here or anything I'm sure.
Box passes: My best cigar friend, Harold, died nine years ago this month. Pre internet he was the king of the boxpass. He smoked the best cigars, but rarely ever bought a cigar. Only when he was a few weeks from death did he tell me his method. Harold had the boxpass down to an art. Over many years, he’d cultivated scores of friends in the cigar world. He wrote well and was very knowledgeable and generous with information. He started ten boxpasses a year, each boxpass with ten different people. He’d begin a pass with 30 cigars; a couple super premiums, some premiums, several Cubans, and the rest, quality, branded and boxed, well known cigars. He’d learned that the newer a guy was, the less he’d take and the more he’d put, plus he knew there would always be a host bag. By Harold’s calculations and history, a pass that started with 30 sticks would bring home at least fifty and maybe sixty cigars; and that typically the host bag would have more Super premiums, premiums, and Cubans than the pass began with. When a pass returned to him, he had the material for the next pass and enough cigars for his daily after dinner smoke. Frankly, I thought my friend’s behavior was unconscionable. After all, he was a wealthy man who could easily afford to smoke anything he wanted. He thought it was humorous and a game.
He actually had a waiting list of guys trying to get into his boxpasses.

Referring to the fact that he was sick for about a week. I took it as a lighthearted attempt of humor. Bill, not everyone is a Steven Myers here. My opinion is that you are being a little harsh. Relax a bit and let the CC86 that we know and love :p come out to play.

Gregor

gregor22 said:
Referring to the fact that he was sick for about a week. I took it as a lighthearted attempt of humor. Bill, not everyone is a Steven Myers here. My opinion is that you are being a little harsh. Relax a bit and let the CC86 that we know and love :p come out to play.

Gregor
[snapback]154169[/snapback]​

Was Montes cruel branding equally lighted hearted humor?? ;)

gregor22 said:
Referring to the fact that he was sick for about a week. I took it as a lighthearted attempt of humor. Bill, not everyone is a Steven Myers here. My opinion is that you are being a little harsh. Relax a bit and let the CC86 that we know and love :p  come out to play.

Gregor

Well review this thread and this thread and tell me if you still think he doesn't have some striking resemblances to gamehumper.

Ya think the "sweat off his balls" was a "lighthearted attempt of humor" and honestly, review his BS and tell me that you think Barney is not being "harsh" and I am.

Defending Barney is misguided at the least........

coventrycat86 said:
gregor22 said:
Referring to the fact that he was sick for about a week. I took it as a lighthearted attempt of humor. Bill, not everyone is a Steven Myers here. My opinion is that you are being a little harsh. Relax a bit and let the CC86 that we know and love :p  come out to play.

Gregor

Well review this thread and this thread and tell me if you still think he doesn't have some striking resemblances to gamehumper.

Ya think the "sweat off his balls" was a "lighthearted attempt of humor" and honestly, review his BS and tell me that you think Barney is not being "harsh" and I am.

Defending Barney is misguided at the least........
[snapback]154235[/snapback]​

Monte's labeling is pretty harsh, any pass host could make the same designation on one person who they thought deserved it. At the same time, a little tact is needed so as to not generate hard feelings and to just move on from there. It isn't just the attack on Monte that is problematic, but the statement that he put behind ccat's moniker that he "dishonored" the pass is also unnecessary. This is a guy who has been here a long time and who has paid his dues. It's one thing to amicably disagree, and I know that we all tend to lose it once in a while before coming to our senses, but ccat in no way messed up the pass order, or was it disorder? His point was valid on that. Even as a newbie, I know that when you start a pass, you need to have some clockwise or counterclockwise plan that lessens the cost and burden for everyone involved as best you can. The ccat you know and love is still the same guy, it's just that others should not take pot-shots at him or other members because they get called on problems or perceived problems created through obtuse posts.

Now the Barney-Brigade may call posts like mine "sticking your nose where it don't belong" when if fact it is a self-moderating board at work.

Barney put himself on the downhill side of a $hit slope and he don't like how it tastes.......

ok...i got the gob today. unless someone has a problem with these puts/takes, ill have it out in the mail tommorow and post a dc then.

takes:
#94 PAM diplomatico
#104 VR famosa

puts:
#137 Padron millennium
#138 diplomaticos #2
#139 AF hemingway maduro
#140 AVO robusto maduro

...and my 3 year old wants to know if she can take the box of gobstoppers someone put in the box. she claims she has some nice "puts" leftover from christmas.

I have a problem, your P/T's are completely lopsided AGAINST you.

I think you are insane.

Steve R makes some very convincing arguments HERE for the "EQUAL PUTS FOR EQUAL TAKES" philosophy.

Your Millenium is worth at least three times more than a '64 Diplomatico (never mind the rarity factor), the Diplo for the VR seems fair but why add TWO premium sticks?

If I were you I'd keep the Hemingway maddie and re-think your PAM '64/Millenium play.

coventrycat86 said:
I have a problem, your P/T's are completely lopsided AGAINST you.

I think you are insane.

Steve R makes some very convincing arguments HERE for the "EQUAL PUTS FOR EQUAL TAKES" philosophy.

Your Millenium is worth at least three times more than a '64 Diplomatico (never mind the rarity factor), the Diplo for the VR seems fair but why add TWO premium sticks?

If I were you I'd keep the Hemingway maddie and re-think your PAM '64/Millenium play.
[snapback]154481[/snapback]​

That Millenium play is pretty strong, I have to agree with Bill.

Your little girl is a hoot! :p

Gregor

Atleast take something else that's rare out of the pass or drop the Millennium.

Oh and your little girl can have the gobstoppers if she wants. I put'm in there and though it was a cool idea :laugh:

Back