• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What beer did you drink today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'07 SN Bigfoot

The hops bite is starting to die down a bit, but still needs some time for my taste.

I finally got around to buying a bottle of Aventinus today, so that is what I am drinking tonight.

I actually didn't get to drink this till tonight -- it is a mighty fine beer! :thumbs:

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. Didn't find it quite as appealing as the Breckenridge, but I seem a little disappointed just about anytime I drink a Sammy Smith.

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. Didn't find it quite as appealing as the Breckenridge, but I seem a little disappointed just about anytime I drink a Sammy Smith.

I couldn't agree more. They're all a bit thin flavored for my taste.

Two aged Victory Hop Wallops from '06 (shhhh...don't tell the boys over at Ba ;) )

Two aged Victory Hop Wallops from '06 (shhhh...don't tell the boys over at Ba ;) )

Hell, most of the boys over at BA would laugh at you for aging a DIPA like the Hop Wallop. Personally, I like that style both fresh and with a little age on it, although it does completely change the beer.

How did you like that one Mike? To me it was just alright, I was hoping for more.

Hell, most of the boys over at BA would laugh at you for aging a DIPA like the Hop Wallop. Personally, I like that style both fresh and with a little age on it, although it does completely change the beer.

Haha, very true, but I guess I'm in the minority. Probably because I'm not even close to a hop head, and love how the malty undertones come through with some age when the hops get less intense.

How did you like that one Mike? To me it was just alright, I was hoping for more.
It was not bad at all but nothing special either. Overall it was a very drinkable beer and nice mellow flavors, but for the price I am sure I could find some better saison beer.

I think the stouts I have been drinking have spoiled my taste buds :whistling: :rolleyes: I am also getting over being sick so my taste buds could be shot!

I know...that's why I said "shhhh..." :)
I bought a case in '06 having never had it before, but being a very big fan of Hop Devil. I like some of the other local DIPAs like Double Simcoe, which has some nice balance to it, but I found this one way too overpowering when it was fresh. I let it sit purely because I was never in the mood to drink it. I never really thought that much about "aging" it, but as it turns out, after a year or so it really mellows out to the point that the malt and floral aspects of the hops start to shine a bit more than the strength and bitterness. I know, probably not what Bill and Ron had intended, but I like it nonetheless.

Haha, very true, but I guess I'm in the minority. Probably because I'm not even close to a hop head, and love how the malty undertones come through with some age when the hops get less intense.
Amen. I love hoppy beers, but I guess I'm not a bona fide "hop head", as I find this particular beer much nicer after it's had a chance to cool its jets a bit.

Now the cask-conditioned Hop Devil I had over the weekend...that's another story...mmmmmmmmmm...

had some Dogfish Head Common Brown Ale. It was pretty good but kind of like a mixed up youth it had a hoppiness of an IPA and the backbone of a brown ale. I guess I prefer the 2 on their own and in this case they just did not marry well for me.

Also had some WoodStock In Pigs Ear Brown. This one I enjoyedquite a bit. Very similar to a newcastly with just a little more brown sugar and molasses. Good Stuff.

Had a World Wide Stout and a Lagunitas Undercover Shutdown Ale last night, both were excellent. Gonna crack an Alpha Kong shortly and do a little review.

Sam Adams Double Bock (1st one) and Young's Double Chocolate Stout (also my 1st one). I was very happy with the Young's until I saw Hillbilly's thread about the Brooklyn Chocolate...

2006 Stone Old Guardian. Good beer for a cold night. I find Old Guardian to be a pretty balanced Barley Wine, so the age really rounded out some of the hop bitterness. Any more, and it would be more of an old ale. It had a really rich malt profile. Followed it with a fresh Bigfoot. What a contrast.
Needless to say, I felt pretty good by the end of the evening!

Bell's HopSlam on tap with lunch. Whoooo BOY is that some good stuff! Even came home with a sixer to enjoy later...

Bell's HopSlam on tap with lunch. Whoooo BOY is that some good stuff! Even came home with a sixer to enjoy later...

Mike,

I want to be like you, Jonas, and Justin when I grow up. :laugh: :thumbs: Oh and like Tim K., Brian and Geoff too... :laugh:

I'll be living it up tonight! I'm heading to the fridge now to crack open an '08 Michelob.

Yesterday,
Old Guardian 2008...really hoppy, can't wait to age my second one! :thumbs:

Today,
I had Young's Special London Ale, very smooth and refreshing, finished up with Meantime Coffee Porter...I have to say this is probablythe best coffee porter I've ever had...very smooth and full of coffee flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.